Thread: BBC

Default BBC

Just sent BBC mobile an email asking why they are not using their .mobi?

They are using bbc.co.uk/mobile.

I am sure they get lots of emails, so fingers crossed eh.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Mobility Regular

You should demand that they use dotmobi ---

we've been nice too long --- now we take off the gloves ---

"Get with it BBC --- what's wrong with you guys? I was on my cell phone while ordering a cheeseburger and I went to your site BBC.mobi and nothing -- and I had planned to check the news and stock quotes and to also maybe make an investment in your media company -- but since you have no dotmobi, I'm really unhappy --- "

Warren of Omaha

well done noonoo, no need for us to complain here, instead lets hit them with official complaints. Maybe with enough of them they will see the need to change.

1) go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/make...nt_step1.shtml, select "Make an official complaint" and hit next;

2) select "bbc.co.uk website" and hit next;

3) enter "bbc.mobi" in the website bar, enter your message, hit next;

4)enter your contact info and submit.

Good idea Scandi, done. BTW BBC Radio 2 - the most popular one - has a slot called Website of the Day - I've suggested before that they should feature a mobile site, but they don't seem to. By all means mention that to the BBC.

http://www.websiteoftheday.info/

Complaint sent. Good idea!

a round of rep coming

Mobility Regular

OK, I played nice and filled out the form --- that's not my style -- but I'll take one for the team --- I guess this is kinda like "anger mgt", huh?

This is the automated reply i had back.

I complained to them through there mobile site. http://bbc.co.uk/mobile It gets to the right department this way.

Thank you for your email. This inbox is solely for the purpose of feedback relating to the BBC's mobile services. If your query is not mobile related then please refer to the following :
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback : Information on contacting bbc.co.uk with comments on our sites and services.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/contactus/prog_comment.shtml : General comments and questions on BBC programming, scheduling, and other issues.
    Please be aware that we do read all incoming messages but, due to the high volumes that we receive, we are unable to respond to every individual contact.
    Regards
    BBC Mobile Services

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
    This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
    If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
    Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.
    Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
    Further communication will signify your consent to this.
    Last edited by noonoo1; 03-05-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

NIce work Noonoo.

BBC are publicly funded and it is very fair to ask why they have bought bbc.mobi and not used it - they could sell this asset if they aren't using it. They bought bbc.com for a large amount some time ago and use it as a redirect to bbc.co.uk

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/05/bbc_domain/

BBC blew $375k on bbc.com

And for what?

By Tim RichardsonMore by this author
    Published Wednesday 5th October 2005 10:28 GMT
    Download free whitepaper - The Data Governance Maturity Model Download free whitepaper - The Need for Vulnerability Management
    The BBC has defended its decision to blow $375,000 (£212,000) of public money on the bbc.com domain.
    The broadcaster - which is funded by a licence fee payable by every UK household with a TV - bought the domain back in 1999 from US firm Boston Business Computing but refused to say how much it had paid out.
    At the time estimates suggested that the BBC had shelled out between £20,000 and £200,000, although some even suggested it could have been as high as $30m.
    But following a request under the Freedom of Information Act the broadcaster has finally come clean.
    "The BBC purchased the domain name bbc.com in 1999 from Boston Business Computing, Limited, a Massachusetts registered corporation, for US$375,000. The sale involved a 24 month transitional period to ensure emails for Boston Business Computing and visitors to its site were redirected," it said.
    But in the six years since acquiring the domain what exactly has the Beeb done with the domain? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Unless, of course, using it to merely redirect visitors to its main bbc.co.uk portal is a good use of $375,000.
    Defending its position a spokesman for the BBC told The Register that it was a "very prudent, forward thinking move".
    "At the time the BBC purchased the bbc.com the internet landscape in the UK and abroad was still developing," he said. "The BBC had a duty to both its brand and its users to provide an easy route to its online content and so bought the .com suffix from Boston Business Computing."
    And although the BBC admits that it "has not exploited bbc.com to date" it now insists that within the last twelve months, "this situation has changed".
    "We are currently looking at the possibilities bbc.com offers us, including its potential as an international facing site. Over the long-term, we feel that this justifies the cost of recovery."
    While the BBC may have been able to buyout Boston Business Computing, its tough tactics to extract bbc.org from a small Canadian computer club were nowhere near as successful.
    In 1999, lawyers acting for the BBC wrote to Big Blue and Cousins demanding it relinquish its bbc.org domain at its own expense even though the Canadian club has legally owned the domain since 1995.
    Big Blue and Cousins still operates bbc.org. A brief description of its spat with the BBC reads: "We suffered a temporary challenge when, in December 1999, the British Broadcasting Corporation complained about our use of 'BBC' in our domain name. However, we had a strong case and ultimately prevailed. The BBC just dropped their request." ®

Track this type of story as a custom Atom/RSS feed or by email.
    Related stories

looks like website of the day has become website of the week http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/wright/wotd.shtml

Radio 2 has about 13 million listeners, with some individual shows getting over 6 million listeners - you can imagine the traffic when a site is featured there.

Sent my 2pence worth as well... I hope I wasn't too obnoxious

Hey, how is it that a company of your size and media prominence is using such a silly mobile address as: bbc.co.uk/mobile, when you could be using BBC.mobi ?

It's easier to type, looks sexier, and it's yours - for crying out loud use it, please!

I do hope all of you who complain to the BBC pay the licence fees that support the BBC as a world-leading media company?

Personally, I don't think it's worth a complaint, I think it's worth encouraging them.
    Mobile Web Design :: kilobox.mobi

Thanks for all the positive reactions. I will keep chipping away at them. There nearest terestial rival ITV uses there mobi which is ITVLocal.mobi ,not a great score on Ready.mobi but at least they are using it!

wedge, their website doesn't offer an encouragment form.

to suggest a website to be featured on Website of the Week email websiteoftheday(at)bbc.co.uk and you can make comments and suggestions on the site at http://www.websiteoftheday.info/2007/01/about_this_site.html#comments -
    the submit comment form is at the base of that page, just scroll down.

Last year I made a polite comment suggesting featuring a mobile site, but it seems the moderator chose not to include my comment on the site.
    Last edited by gogo; 03-06-2008 at 09:22 AM.

Pred

i complained before, and also why they are not using their iplayer.mobi
    got an answer back but dont expect anything pronto from 'auntie'

they just seem to love using bbc.co.uk/ everything