Thread: Image Sizes

Default Image Sizes

How do you feel about the restrictions on Image Size, both dimensions and KB?

I'm doing my best to please all standards, and all HTML mobile devices, so maybe I'm particularly strict!

Currently, I'm only working with images that are 120px wide (max) and the total images on each page add up to less that 10KB (which is tiny!).

How do you feel about such strict adherence to small images?
    Mobile Web Design :: kilobox.mobi

Living and Lovin in North Carolina, y'all.

I typically am going 160 px. But even those are reduced in the mobile environment on screen.

I actually like working in this size. It is so much easier to work small being that items are going to be reduced anyways. That way no significant detail is lost when reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    How do you feel about the restrictions on Image Size, both dimensions and KB?

I'm doing my best to please all standards, and all HTML mobile devices, so maybe I'm particularly strict!

Currently, I'm only working with images that are 120px wide (max) and the total images on each page add up to less that 10KB (which is tiny!).

How do you feel about such strict adherence to small images?
    Hi Wedge,

I feel it's a necessary evil for development in the mobile world if you want users to have fast loading pages. I've particularly had issues when dealing with gallery type sites. Had to settle with 10 images per page (each 100px wide) and compress them. This is the best I can get on any given page to get a 4/5 score. I loose 5/5 at about 6 images.
    Best of luck!
    Mark

Hi Guys,
    If you read the developer tip that sometimes loads when your testing at ready.mobi it says that 200px is the largest screen size for todays mobiles. I BTW develop screen sizes for 170px as the new nokia, sony ericsson and motorola rvzr all have a screen size of 170px. Alot of browsers can make images smaller but they cant make them bigger.
    Names Sold In 2009: Cant keep track
    http://mobisitetrader.com http://develops.mobi

Thanks for that info Rob. 170px sounds like the optimum width of an image when developing mobile sites.
    Btw do you happen to know what the kb size restriction is?
    Is it 4kb?

I don't think it's as small as 4KB, and of course it all depends on which guidelines one wishes to adhere too, and how strictly.

• W3C DDC = 120px width (jpeg / gif) [Entire(?) Page weight of 20KB]
    • dotMobi = 120px width [Entire Page weight 10KB, stretching to 25KB]
    Larger images can be used if advanced capability detection is used, to customise the experience for the specific device.
    Mobile Web Design :: kilobox.mobi