Thread: What's the longest domain?

Smile What's the longest domain?

Sure, length of a domain name might not be all that important when you're clicking around the web and relying on Google and your personal bookmarks...

Plus, some long domains are indeed very memorable.

But, when thinking about how painful / slow typing on some mobile devices can be, short domains are key to user-pleasure aren't they?

So, considering that .mobi is 4/5 characters, how many more characters do we dare suggest for a maximum length?

iwantoneofthose.com is all well n good for the PC, but I wouldn't want iwantoneofthose.mobi (or even m.iwantoneofthose.com )

So, what's a nice, good length? (ahem)
    Mobile Web Design :: kilobox.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    Sure, length of a domain name might not be all that important when you're clicking around the web and relying on Google and your personal bookmarks...

Plus, some long domains are indeed very memorable.

But, when thinking about how painful / slow typing on some mobile devices can be, short domains are key to user-pleasure aren't they?

So, considering that .mobi is 4/5 characters, how many more characters do we dare suggest for a maximum length?

iwantoneofthose.com is all well n good for the PC, but I wouldn't want iwantoneofthose.mobi (or even m.iwantoneofthose.com )

So, what's a nice, good length? (ahem)
    A good length, IMO, is the length of the keyword or title you want for your domain. People text and type and email all the time now, and typing 7 strokes, or 22 strokes is not going to stop them if they are looking for what your keyword/title is! DiamondRings.mobi will get more traffic than DiaRing.mobi or whatever the alternative one makes up. People now grow up with, and live with, their 'techno devices', and typing keystrokes is no longer an obstacle. It's a requirement!!

disclaimer: When driving and texting/typing, short is always better!

Disclaimer Disclaimer - people should not type when driving; people's lives are not to be risked!
    Mobile Web Design :: kilobox.mobi

my supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.mobi gets traffic

Since surfing on the web using my phone I tend to use predictive text within the phones' address bar making typing longer names a breeze!

For those who don't know what predictive text is when when the phone predicts what you are trying to type,(when texting others) saving you time in typing individual keys on a mobile phone!-ie when pressing the number 263 will reveal the word "and" effectively saving you.. hehe.. 1 stroke, longer words will save you more of course!

For example, I own http://blackandwhitephotography.mobi
    this is 24 characters long, it takes 73 strokes on a mobiles numeric keypad before the url is complete (incl the .mobi, including backspace to make the url one whole name-no spaces!) ready to use before pressing enter to take you to the site!!!

using predictive text this would be 32 strokes on my mobiles' keys to get the complete before pressing enter to take you to the site!