Thread: SEO for Mobile isn't just Mobile Anymore

Default SEO for Mobile isn't just Mobile Anymore

I started this thread because a few of us have been discussing SEO through private messages and also through chat. I know this site is about mobile domaining and development but SEO is impacting every site whether it be designed for mobile or designed for a PC and in many ways the basic things you would do for SEO are the same for both platforms.

As all of us know links are by far the most valuable thing for SEO but we are still too early to tell some things, like are links from mobile designed sites to mobile designed more valuable than a PC to mobile designed site? I think now that a good group of people on here have taken the step from just domaining to also developing, this section of the forum will start becoming more popular. Even as I started writing this post, there were more people in this section than any other.

I have my own tricks but don't consider myself the know all. While I'm willing to help, I don't know that I'm ready to give out all my little secrets quite yet. So let's get this section and tread off to a nice roll.

One of the top things we started discussing is Google Speed Test. Thanks to GoGo, I got my first experience with this tool recently. I actually like that Google is helping out a little bit by telling us how we can make out site better but it also scares me a little bit. I changed one thing that Google suggested and it improved my speed score from 61/100 to 72/100. So how did that really impact my site? Well, for one of my most important keywords that I have been struggling with lately because I couldn't figure out why google slapped me with a decrease in ranking to around #35 for the last month, it moved me up to #4 within 15 minutes, #2 within 2 hours and #1 within 24 hours. Don't ask me why because I truly don't get it. But if Google is telling me it's an issue that should be of high priority and I see results from it, then I guess I am going to do it.

But the issue I have is that Google is telling me to do some things that I don't really agree with. They are determining how a website should be built and how it should look. They are asking me to minify html which is all fine if I never plan on touching the code again for a tiny redesign or plan to update my wordpress themes and plugins. So am I getting punished because I use a platform called Wordpress that needs updating? I really don't have the answer for that yet.

Last note for what I hope starts to be a sharing and helpful experience in this section. Google made the announcement yesterday that content above the fold (without scrolling) will play a higher importance in the algorithm. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mediaadvantages View Post

But the issue I have is that Google is telling me to do some things that I don't really agree with. They are determining how a website should be built and how it should look. They are asking me to minify html which is all fine if I never plan on touching the code again for a tiny redesign or plan to update my wordpress themes and plugins. So am I getting punished because I use a platform called Wordpress that needs updating? I really don't have the answer for that yet.
    Hi interesting thread, thanks for starting it. Does anyone else feel this would be best in the private section where Mr Google is not invited?

Minifying HTML counts for exactly one point out of 100, I got a site up to 99 and then found that to get the last point I would have to minify html. Not worth it and possibly not a good idea if you do this dynamically and something screws up. But minifying CSS and JavaScript was a big help and so was putting all the Javascript in one file because Javascript, unlike CSS, is downloaded serially -not in parallel like CSS or images. I've kept unminified originals for later editing if needed.

I don't know that you get punished by Google for old Wordpress versions, I think they just warn you in Webmaster tools for your own security?

But just what mobile SEO is and whether it crosses over to desktop is a fascinating question, the whole mobi thing was supposed to guide people to mobile friendly content - in reality today what method does the user have to find mobile-friendly stuff? But if speed and pagesize count then mobile-optimised sites have a totally unexpected advantage because since broadband became widespread page sizes have really bloated to say the least.

Hi,
    I have a site which used to get high ranking in Google, but when I wrote some stuff (true stuff) about few mobile ad companies, I got red marked by Google even when it was a mobile site. So just a suggestion - no matter how bad an organization or a person is, never ever talk bad about them, they can use Google for their own benefit.
    Google site speed is not the biggest criteria IMO, links to your site are the biggest criteria.
    These days Google is giving more importance to fresh content so you may find your site ranked better until someone writes stuff on the same niche that you are writing.
    I have seen Google sabotaging sites which do not serve Adsense ads, they deny this all the time but its the reality. So as long as you are placing Adsense ads and adhering to their so called testament of ad rules, you shall stay fine
    Mobile sites should shun MP markup and stick to xHTML strict or better yet, should go for html5 (future)
    Sprite loading is something that I do not understand .. why .. why .. why should i load sprites when I have already optimized the images? Google is S.T.U.P.1.D!!

Google site speed is not the biggest criteria IMO, links to your site are the biggest criteria.
    That's what I've been hearing all the time., but genuine back links with the right anchor text are hard to get.

@ChinaMobi I have a way to get quality PR1 - PR4 backlinks that is relatively cheap in my opinion. I have discussed this with GoGo a little bit. If you are interested PM me and I can give you some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    Hi,
    I have a site which used to get high ranking in Google, but when I wrote some stuff (true stuff) about few mobile ad companies, I got red marked by Google even when it was a mobile site. So just a suggestion - no matter how bad an organization or a person is, never ever talk bad about them, they can use Google for their own benefit.

Mobile sites should shun MP markup and stick to xHTML strict or better yet, should go for html5 (future)
    Sprite loading is something that I do not understand .. why .. why .. why should i load sprites when I have already optimized the images? Google is S.T.U.P.1.D!!
    Weird about Adsense - they are sending users email encouraging them to put MORE ads on their sites. Adsense TOS actually say you cannot put ads on a site that argues against a person or group - that is open to wide interpretation. If your site gets de-listed you can ask in Webmaster tools to have it re-indexed. Sometimes it seems a site can get de-listed by a mistake in the algorithm, not an infraction or complaint from a third party.

The point of Sprites is you load a single image rather than many... but you have to combine images and do some CSS work and this never sounds good to me for mobile. What does everyone else think?

Just curious, why avoid MP? Agree HTML5 is best.

BTW, how does G judge fresh content? It seems they look for dates on pages, which of course is open to manipulation. Sometimes these dates appear before the snippets in search results, so if you mention a historic date it can make your page seem terrribly old...

Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    Hi,
    but when I wrote some stuff (true stuff) about few mobile ad companies, I got red marked by Google !
    Did you mention Admob? Their support and their contact emails no longer work, I wonder if anyone is getting paid by them. Yes Google owns them now, maybe they bought it just to shut it down. Admob support was pretty good before G.

This is what my understanding of "fresh content" and it's effects on google rankings. Let's say that I create a post about "red bugs", the following things come into consideration.

1. How many other articles about "red bugs" have been done recently
    2. Were you the first to do it this week, month? The middle of the pack? Last and just spinning content?
    3. What is my domain authority? (If you don't know this, just go to seomoz.org, click tools and select open site explorer and enter your domain.

Being early for a niche and having domain authority can get you in the top 50 and maybe even the top page of google for a niche but keeping you there will depend on numbers 4 and 5.

4. Is there a viral social media presence happening due to your post or the subject you are talking about?
    5. Are quality links being built

Things to consider about number 5 and you do need both. Authority links and anchor text links. Authority links would be from sites like wikipedia.org, nytimes.com and other media. These type of links will in all likely be nofollow which isn't going to pass link juice to your site but google likes the authority it gives your site. Anchor text links will be the quality dofollow links that you need to get from other websites that value your content and will be dofollow and in this case the anchor text would be "red bugs" or keyword phrase such as "red bugs bite people".

I should have mentioned, if a competitor site follows your lead and writes an article on "red bugs" a couple days later and they have a higher domain authority, more likes and tweets about the subject they will likely move you down just because of the authority. If you are looking for authority, when you go to post your article, do a quick press release with rewritten/spun content on the subject with links back to your post. WARNING!!! If you have a new site (less than a year old) or have not built ANY links to your site, then I suggest not doing this.

If you look around a little, I have found a couple places where you can get press release packages for about $25 each and they are very good!

Actually I had written some bad articles regarding AdIquity, I had later received a lot of abusive (expletive) criticism from them. They must have been the ones to lodge a complain against me with Google. If Google finds a site writing negative reviews, it ultimately gives negative points ( I cannot prove it but I am quite sure about it).
    XHTML-MP is mobile profile whose dtd files are sometimes missing as it is maintained by Open Mobile Alliance. At times it will generate loads of validation errors when the file at http://www.openmobilealliance.org/te...l-mobile12.dtd is unavailable.
    Other XHTML doctype i.e. XHTML STRICT is also considered by Google to be mobile friendly so you would want to set up your webpage according to XHTML STRICT standards.
    Btw XHTML MP does not load on outdated browsers.
    I received all of my outstanding due from Admob, so I have no complain against that network.
    For the matter of date, MediaAdvantage has been correct, and I usually do not provide a date to my article as I too am confused with this fresh date G complexity.

First time poster!

Content of a site is always important than other factors so it’s really important that content should include the keywords.

First time poster!

Nowadays, being atop search engines is the best thing that you can do to help increase your brand’s growth. Optimizing your brand’s websites is one way to increase sales by getting traffic. However, SEO isn’t as simple as it looks like. It takes time to analyze and decide which techniques and strategies should be used
    Thanks.