Default mobi trend. is this a turnaround sign

Can anyone explain this.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=.mobi

Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    Can anyone explain this.

Nash
    Is this a sign of a turnaround of .mobi domain speculation and/or pricing? Not even close.

http://www.google.com/insights/searc...y+12-m&q=.mobi

It's about the .mobi file extension used in e-books. Top results have nothing to do with the domain extension. It has to do with the growth of electronic books, I've downloaded many books in the mobi format, nothing to do with the domain extension.

Mobility Member

I have been also tracking and charting on a daily basis the results from the following:

on google search:

Site:.mobi

which gives only web results with .mobi extensions. And NOT ebooks with extensions .mobi

the results for the past year and a half have been increasing at a "torrid" pace.

Do follow-up on it. Use in the google search results:

site:.mobi

track the results as I have been doing, you will see an amazing increase on a very regular basis.
    I did also compare with site:.com and site:.net, site:.org and all others.

site:.mobi has ben increasing at an exponential pace.

Does that mean anything.

Nash

I'm not aware that there has been any substantive decline in .mobi usage for websites, as far as I know it has been increasing since day one, so I'm not sure what turnaround you're referring to in that regard.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 01-03-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Nash, a lot of developers are using .mobi now because they don't have to deal with the original developer or hosting to make an m. It's more profitable to sell a second set of hosting, too.

This does NOT mean small businesses are going to negotiate with domainers or pay premium rates, though. Their objective is speed to get things done and they're unlikely to let negotiations drag on for weeks or months.

Mobility Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    Can anyone explain this.

Nash
    The extension is near dead, no Google stat is going to to change the obvious. It is now seen as something akin to .cc or .ws. Bottom of the barrel.

Kindly remember that this is a forum for both developers and domainers. From a developer's perspective, this TLD is far from dead.

Those of us who learned some coding skills do not think .mobi is dead because we actually, you know, build something useful. Interesting concept.

Mobility Member

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    Kindly remember that this is a forum for both developers and domainers. From a developer's perspective, this TLD is far from dead.

Those of us who learned some coding skills do not think .mobi is dead because we actually, you know, build something useful. Interesting concept.
    Haven't seen too many "non domainers" here or at any other domain name forum. It is a bit like .tv, when the extension obviously tanks they start many saying they are no longer domainers, but rather they hold to develop.

Mobility Member

Here is an interesting article just out today.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-57...ncol;cnetRiver

Nash

Snoopy, I don't know you and I'm sure you have some great advice to give people on domaining, and by the same token you don't know me either. To answer your statement, mobility.mobi has, since shortly after its inception in 2007, had a strong core of developers who have been coding mobile sites even when .mobi was at the top of the market. I don't know about the other TLDs, but I have been fortunate to have known a good many talented mobile developers on this forum. It's unfortunate for all of us that there is no mobile requirement anymore, but for a long time there was a mobile requirement, and we met it. I personally spent countless hours learning to meet the ready.mobi requirements and taught others to do the same. Rob, who is no longer active on this forum, personally spent hundreds of hours in chat teaching people, for free, how to make mobile sites. There was never any .mobi type in traffic and we knew it from the start, so many of us became developers. I don't "hold to develop," I actually develop, and so do a lot of other people in this forum. Andy is the only one that I know of who took the mTLD developer test, and he joined later. When he did, even more people benefited since he has reworked more than one member's mobi site for free.

Yes, it's disappointing that the mobile requirement was removed, and a lot of people simply quit at that point. Others dumped their names.

If it is your purpose to "protect" people from .mobi names as a bad investment, you have a right to your opinion and you have the right to express it here. As a former moderator, I can tell you that nobody was ever banned for taking a non-mobi position. Mindlessly repeating things, being argumentative and disrespectful and acting like a robot did get one person banned (but not by me). Now you also know some of the history of the people who believe in mobile and not just .mobi, and so do newbies reading this post.
    Last edited by coast; 01-06-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added additional developer info
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

zcxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am very impressed when I do the search with putting
    site:.mobi in Google !
    And also http://www.google.com/trends?q=.mobi
    It could well be that if .mobile would be not approved that .mobi will be on the rise.