Thread: ICANN new tlds. How will they affect .mobi ?

Default ICANN new tlds. How will they affect .mobi ?

I've been pondering this question for a while but i cant make my mind up.

This is the latest article I have read.

ICANN, the governing body for all Internet addresses, has announced new changes on how domains will be named in the future, which could definitely spell trouble for not only Google but all the other search engines as well. But they won't be the only ones. Small webmasters and online marketers should be more concerned and troubled by the introduction of these new "generic" or "dot anything" domains.

Why?

Mainly because these new ICANN changes will transform and alter the web forever.

The impact and range of this transformation will largely depend upon two factors. First, how wide or liberal will ICANN be in their interpretation and implementation of these new domain naming changes? Second, how quickly Internet users adjust to these changes and for that matter, whether or not, they will even use these new generic domains.

13 Proven Strategies to Boost Your Website Conversion Rate!

However, if human nature stays true and previous Internet usage stays firm, web users will want the fastest and easiest way to find what they're looking for on the web. This is where the new "generic" domains could change the whole playing field. It could even possibly transform the web as we know it today.

Starting next year - between January 2012 to April 2012 - companies can apply to ICANN (The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) for a "generic" or "dot anything" domain. Instead of using say a ".com" ".net" ".biz"... a company will be able to buy a domain such as "www.hotels" or "www.hotel" for a price tag of $185,000 and a $25,000 annual fee, which will probably mean anyone searching on the web for a hotel room could just type "hotels" or "hotel" directly into their browser and the site holding this domain will pop-up.

After a recent vote to approve these changes, the Chairman of ICANN's board of directors, Peter Thrush, stated: "Today's decision will usher in a new internet age. We have provided a platform for the next generation of creativity and inspiration. Unless there is a good reason to restrain it, innovation should be allowed to run free."

Unfortunately, this new Internet age comes with a hefty price tag which will be out of reach for the average site owner, leaving the Internet accessible only to the elite or the rich. An open and free Internet will still exist, but certain sections, mainly those which control all the lucrative e-commerce and business on the web, will be firmly blocked and regulated. The prime real estate on the web will no longer be open to anyone who has 8 or 10 bucks to buy a domain. Only wealthy individuals and companies will be able to afford these new top-level domains.

As every webmaster or online marketer will tell you, getting the top spot on the web is everything. These new changes could spell disaster for current ".com", ".net", ".org"... domains because the loss in direct traffic alone could be very significant. Web users will simply type in "loans", "cars", "hotels", "banks", "laptops"... into their browsers to find what they're looking for on the web. Also, since a "dot com" will no longer be "king of the hill", its value will be somewhat diminished, along with millions of other domains ending in a suffix, resulting in a potential paper-loss in the trillions of dollars.

Rapid Paid Inclusion - Add Your URL in 48 Hours!

The only saving grace here is that most surfers use "long tail" keywords or phrases to find what they're searching for on the web. For example, someone looking for a vacation rental in Florida will usually type in something like: "florida vacation rental" and it is very unlikely that someone would purchase this domain for a 185 grand, unless the traffic and economics were feasible (Even then most people are not going to type in "floridavacationrental" when they're looking for "florida vacation rental" so the direct browser route might be useless, unless of course, future browsers are designed to automatically combine these words together and read them as a top level domain). Another more likely scenario is where we could possibly see a company paying that amount for say a generic domain "rentals" or "rental" and having sub-domains such as "florida.rentals" or "florida.rental".

The SEO fallout from these new "dot anything" domains will probably be the most important factor to consider. These domains will quickly rise to the top of the search engines. They simply will have the keyword DNA to reach the top, unless search engines put rules into place to lower their importance or rankings, which is not likely to happen. Besides, most companies buying these new domains will already have tons of backlinks and top rankings for lucrative keyword phrases in their niche markets and acquiring such a generic domain will be a way of cementing their dominance in these markets and/or to protect their trademarks.

Top 10 Exposure for Your Ads on 200+ Search Engines
    • No Bidding - No PPC - No Click Fraud
    • Flat Fee Rates Starting at $4 per Month or Less
    • Over 150 Million Searches per Month
    • Six Bonus Giveaways with Your Order

Place Your Order or Find Out More at ExactSeek.com

But getting back to our original discussion or question: how can these new domains spell trouble for Google and the other search engines? The trouble lies in how surfers use the web and how they start their Internet day. It all has to do with "portals" or "points of entry" onto the web. Facebook is Google's biggest competitor, not because it is a rival search engine, but because people start their Internet day by logging onto Facebook and staying there for the rest of the day. While they are on Facebook, they're obviously not using Google to find what they're looking for on the web.

With the introduction of these new top level generic domains, Internet users could have thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of extra "portals" or "points of entry" for accessing the web directly. They won't be anywhere near the importance or size of Facebook, but they could be much more detrimental to Google, because these will mainly be the "commercially keyworded" entry points. Google's bread and butter is advertising, mainly delivered through its Adsense and Adwords properties, which are mainly dictated by lucrative keyword phrases. Could these new "portal entry points" eat away at Google's most important and lucrative keyword traffic and ad offerings?

Will Internet users bypass the search engines and go directly through their browsers to these "on topic" portals? Will a new generic domain quickly develop a prominent status or recognition on the web with surfers? When searching for rentals, we don't need Google to tell us to go to a comprehensive rental portal which lists and directs you to the right house or apartment rental you need. Need a loan? Forget Google - go directly to a portal which will direct you right to the loan you need. Need a laptop... well you get the picture.

All this will take some time to blossom and we are talking years and decades here rather than months. BUT, we are talking about the future of the web and how that future will be significantly altered by these new changes.

There is much speculation on how all this plays out. Will companies have the marketing savvy and Internet know-how to make these "portals" popular like Facebook has done? Over time will they have the "business sense" not to use "powered by Google" search and develop their own "in-house" search engines promoting their own partnered interests and companies? More importantly, will new companies gradually start to come to these "portals" for their advertising, rather than to Google?

Let's face it, Google is very diversified and probably strong enough to weather any kind of storm coming its way, but a potential wave of thousands of direct portal sites or domains, offering competition on all fronts, might prove troublesome. Let's just hope all the good folks at Google are 10 steps ahead of the rest of us. After all, didn't waves of barbarians conquer Rome?

About The Author
    All opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author who is a full time online marketer with numerous niche sites, as well as two sites on Internet Marketing. If you want to discover more about search engine marketing simply download our Free Marketing Course. You can find the author's page here: Titus Hoskins
    Copyright. This article may be freely distributed if this resource box stays attached.

http://sitepronews.com
    Last edited by noonoo1; 07-04-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Please post a link since this is someone elses article.

As for what it says, they make a lot of assumptions about the future that are unsupported and somewhat illogical. I don't see at all that the tld changes will hurt google, more content = more SE need and opportunity. In fact its likely that google and the other SE's will determine the degree of success for many new tlds. For example if google was in the habit of giving rank preference to .mobi for mobile search then .mobi would have a much greater market share today. The same will hold true for other tlds IMO. SEs are (or should be) about pointing to the best content regardless of tld, the more they become biased content suppliers the more opportunity they create for their own competition.

As for more tlds effecting .mobi, I too am undecided on what the full impact will be. Will mobi simply be lost in the sea of new tlds that may be largely ignored or will all the new options create greater public awareness (and hopefully SE respect) for alt extensions. Two things I do know will come from this; 1) ICANN will reap a lot more revenue; and 2) huge .com sales will be effected as those who can afford a seven figure domain price will instead consider an entire extension instead. There will quickly come a point of saturation though as only the best keyword tlds will be worth the cost to start a tld, and watch for some tld closures with registrants completely losing their domains even though they paid their reg fees. A new internet age indeed, can we buy shares in ICANN?

It really is a tough question...
    The great deterrent is of course the price tag of such domains.
    Will enough rich companies/businesses/rich individuals purchase such domains, for people to eventually type this into their address bars, I'm not too sure. (many friends of mine still use google to type www in)

However should direct type in traffic gain hold, other existing extensions (.net .mobi etc) may stand to
    gain more exposure. Good Generic one word domains should still hold up.

Here's the link:

http://www.bizwaremagic.com/affiliat...ic_domains.htm

My concern is: will new TLDs similar to .mobi appear? .phone, .tablet, .pad etc. Other than that, I'm not worried about having too many new TLDs. Most folks will probably stick to at the most a few TLDs for their daily needs.
    Last edited by ChinaMobi; 07-05-2011 at 12:09 AM.

The biggest threat I see here for .mobi is new mobile TLD's with large advertising budgets popping up and encroaching on .mobi's territory while mTLD - with its ridiculously poor track record of not enforcing anything - does nothing to stop them. As these new "mobile" TLD's begin to test the waters to see how close they can compete with .mobi, they might soon realize there isn't really anything stopping them from competing outright with it, and then you've got another full-blown mobile TLD with proper marketing stealing all of .mobi's thunder, creating confusion in the market place, and splitting demand for this extension, eventually maybe even buying out .mobi and making it numero dos at best or shelving it at worst.

It might start with a .app or .iphone that attempts to separate itself from .mobi enough to get accepted by ICANN, and then gradually branching out into more things "mobile" without any repercussions, and next thing you know, you've got a direct competitor to .mobi with a backing that will most certainly be more competent than mTLD and thus more successful.

I don't think this is necessarily probable, but I certainly see it as plausible, and thus as a very serious threat to .mobi should such a new TLD be even half as clever and bold as .CO with its marketing.

Just my $0.02.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Mobility Regular FilipinoFood.com's Avatar

`
    Last edited by FilipinoFood.com; 07-13-2011 at 11:26 PM.
    HTML Code:
    <iframe width=100% height=300 name="webchat" src="http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=de9a2e413dbb2d2bd2dd11f47d5e3df9&server=irc.Mibbit.Net&channel=%23webmasterradio&autoConnect=true&nick=WMR%3F%3F%3F"></iframe>

Mobility Member

Here is my $0.02 (and this is pure speculation)

tlds that are considered "vertical" i.e focused on specific areas . For example .food will give high value to restaurants.food and low significance to dating.food while .social will give high value to dating.social and low value for restaurants.social

tlds that are considered "horizontal" i.e cut across many areas. For example .mobi will give high value to both restaurants.mobi and dating.mobi

Here is the kicker. This is great for .mobi (throwing 1000's of tld's in the mix)

The tld will describe the category for searches. So if you are using your smartphone the .mobi tld will be the tld of choice not .food or .social or .map or .hotel or .bank

remember the original intent when ICANN approved .mobi it was for small screens with only vertical scrolling. The iphone came along and created the sqwinting to magnify or zoom in. I remember people all over saying the zooming will kill the .mobi
    Now behold the vertical scrolling is the way to go on smartphones.

If I am not mistaken, The whole purpose of ICANN creating .mobi is to direct people to design websites for smartphones that are specific to mobile phones and simple websites that serve this specific purpose.

Have faith in ICANN folks. Their intent is to minimize confusion and not to create more confusion.

why would they want to allow multiple mobile tld's is it to create confusion ? I do not think so.

to do .food, .bank, .jobs, .social, .berlin, .moscow, .etc....
    serves only to help CATEGORIZE searches only.

In that regard.....How many went beyond page 10 on a google search or a bing search or a yahoo search

If I am correct I think this exercise is to "CATEGORIZE" only.

.mobi will gain in that it will begin desimating the m. because everyone will begin focusing on the tld as the means to finding what they want to look for

If you are using a tablet, desktop or a laptop you search google or bing or yahoo via the thousands of categorized tlds

and if you are on the beach with your smartphone your default tld will "hopefully" be just .mobi

This is my own personal opinion and assumptions

I like this thought,
    .mobi will gain in that it will begin desimating the m. because everyone will begin focusing on the tld as the means to finding what they want to look for

All very hypothetical, IMO only bad for mobi whether these succeed or not - a lot of attention to new TLDs, and promotion, and new opportunities, and as Andres said, potential competition.

It will take a long time for any sites on these new TLDs to become active and familiar, let alone for the public to form habits or base assumptions on that.

Unless you own an extension you will take a big risk building sites on it, most sane site owners will stay away.

BTW the USA now says it can extradite and prosecute anyone anywhere for an act that would be a crime in the USA only, as long as they use a .net or .com domain... so there is another threat, or opportunity, with these TLDs - what legal implications do they have for users?

Here is a link to the info about the risks of using .com and .net

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...on-prosecution

Someone could post a link on your site to something the US objects to and you could get extradited for it, so it makes choice of domain interesting to say the least. And it means where new TLDs are based, or what services they depend on, an important question.

The US's Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) is targeting overseas websites it believes are breaking US copyrights whether or not their servers are based in America or there is another direct US link, said Erik Barnett, the agency's assistant deputy director.
    As long as a website's address ends in .com or .net, if it is implicated in the spread of pirated US-made films, TV or other media it is a legitimate target to be closed down or targeted for prosecution, Barnett said. While these web addresses are traditionally seen as global, all their connections are routed through Verisign, an internet infrastructure company based in Virginia, which the agency believes is sufficient to seek a US prosecution.
    As well as sites that directly host or stream pirated material, ICE is also focusing on those that simply provide links to it elsewhere. There remains considerable doubt as to whether this is even illegal in Britain – the only such case to be heard before a British court, involving a site called TV-Links, was dismissed by a judge in February last year.

What if, after all these new TLDS come up, Google, Bing, Yahoo decides to junk listings according to any TLD extension and get more focused on page material and sites linking to it?

Mobility Member

Here is my part on doing due diligence and research:

http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-g...ments-5-en.htm

on the above page scroll to this very very important document and read it thoroughly

http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-g...12nov10-en.pdf

Here is a direct quote from Section 4.1 of the document:

4.1 String Contention

String contention occurs when either:

1. Two or more applicants for an identical gTLD string

successfully complete all previous stages of the

evaluation and dispute resolution processes; or

2. Two or more applicants for similar gTLD strings

successfully complete all previous stages of the

evaluation and dispute resolution processes, and the

similarity of the strings is identified as creating a

probability of user confusion if more than one of the

strings is delegated.

ICANN will not approve applications for proposed gTLD

strings that are identical or that would result in user

confusion, called contending strings. If either situation 1 or 2

above occurs, such applications will proceed to

contention resolution through either community priority

evaluation, in certain cases, or through an auction. Both

processes are described in this module. A group of

applications for contending strings is referred to as a

contention set.

(In this Applicant Guidebook, “similar” means strings so

similar that they create a probability of user confusion if

more than one of the strings is delegated into the root

zone.)

4.1.1 Identification of Contention Sets

Contention sets are groups of applications containing

identical or similar applied-for gTLD strings. Contention sets

are identified during Initial Evaluation following review of all

applied-for gTLD strings. ICANN will publish preliminary

contention sets once the String Similarity review is

completed, and will update the contention sets as

necessary during the evaluation and dispute resolution

stages.

Read more....in the above ICANN document

Andres what do you think now ?

Do you think after reading this that .mobi will be come the unique tld of the smartphone or not.
    Could it become the .com of the smartphone.

Please disseminate this document and excerpts from it so that others have more and more confidence in .mobi

My opinion here after reading this document and the 1000's of tlds coming into play as "Categories"
    .mobi will stand alone as the ONLY smartphone tld (do we say also goodbye to m. also)

Good luck to all.

i think its a possitive move, i dont think there will be a 2nd mobile extension like some1 start. coom or .website
    mobi sounds like a good extension and some1 did the groundwork already maybe not efficient but under domains its known already
    if i was a company with mobile visions i would buy .mobi out and change the policy
    it also make the prev investors look bad mastercard visa etc

just my street view

So does it mean that if:
    Apple (the company) get .apple
    A major grocery store will not be able to get .apples?
    As cause confusion in the market place?

This could severly limit the release of such domains...

Mobility Member

All I can tell you from reading this document thoroughly. It is not going to be the "Wild West" as most .mobiers fear with similar or duplicate tlds etc...
    I think if I am not mistaken .mobi will stand to gain by this. Here how I think how:

.mobi will be clearly distinguished believe it or not with the help of this massive categorization, people will think tlds for navigating through all this and .mobi will offer it's uniqueness and will be uncontested with its real purpose to be ONLY for smartphones.

The kicker here is that it will leave m. in it's dust

Please any thoughts on my approach.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    The kicker here is that it will leave m. in it's dust

Please any thoughts on my approach.....
    It's not a zero sum game and mdot is free.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 07-07-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Read more....in the above ICANN document

Andres what do you think now ?
    The same as I thought before your post. What you posted is not news and .mobi's exclusivity as the only mobile extension predates the launch of new gTLD's. Yet what I posted above is still completely plausible.

If you're into reading contracts, you should also read the one for Premium Domains and then see how well that one was enforced:

You acknowledge and agree if the domain name being registered is a dotMobi Premium Name, and as such is listed here, then use of the domain name is also subject to the terms and conditions of the dotMobi Premium Name Agreement (formerly known as the dotMobi Auction Agreement) posted here, which is incorporated by reference herein.
    Or how about the one every .mobi Registrant has to agree to that includes following the Switch On! style guides:

You acknowledge and agree that you shall comply with the requirements, standards, policies, procedures and practices set forth in the dotmobi Style Guide, found here. You consent to the monitoring of your website for compliance with the Style Guide.
    How well was that one enforced?

If you think just because something is stipulated in a contract with mTLD, that it will actually be enforced, then you don't know enough about .mobi's history and you are setting yourself up to get burned as a result. Learn from history and adjust accordingly.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Do you think after reading this that .mobi will be come the unique tld of the smartphone or not.

No, never. I can't see why anyone would actually believe that, but I can see why wild, uninformed speculators would want to believe that, and then encourage others to believe it.

Mobi tried to be the preferred domain of the non-smartphones and pre-smartphones and did not succeed. That window of opportunity is gone.

Since MTLD/Dotmobi gave up on requiring mobi domains to have at least some mobile content, the way would be open (but pointless) for another extension to try it. ICANN could not really say no to .cell or .mb or whatever. But I doubt anyone would want to create that after the huge failure of .mobi.

I actually don't think the public have a clear idea or expectation of what mobile sites are, they just want a convenient experience on their phone and they like it when it works well. So for a lot of people "mobile" is irrelevant or confusing as a concept, let alone as an obscure, unfamiliar domain.

Ugh... why did I even open this thread.
    Last edited by coast; 07-08-2011 at 12:48 AM.
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

Mobility Member

You might be right Andres. In the end no one knows.
    The first round will tell us a lot about their true intention. If they stick to this document in this first round (of maybe a few hundred tlds) and keep .mobi unique and reject "String similarity" to avoid "Confusion" etc...etc...then we should be golden for a few years.

OK Andres. Let us now assume that they preserve the uniqueness of .mobi do you agree that the "CATEGORIZATION" based on tlds will be beneficial for .mobi

Not regarding it's affect on .mobi, but an interesting article in www.circleid.mobi regarding icanns release of tld's: heres the article:
    http://circleid.mobi/posts/focus_on_...registrations/
    And another
    http://circleid.mobi/posts/top_level_domains_and_search/
    Last edited by photoman; 07-08-2011 at 02:03 AM.

It's going to be funny as hell to observe a senior sales clerk sign up people at sears and the like with this new avalanche of tld's. I have to actually write down my own email address on forms because people cannot process dot M O B I without adding .com to it! HAHAHA it's actually damn funny to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I have to actually write down my own email address on forms because people cannot process dot M O B I without adding .com to it! HAHAHA it's actually damn funny to me now.
    That is funny, my ex-girlfriend used to call them 'mobi.com's', I gave up explaining it to her, she wasn't that bright.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Tim is correct. It will be a decade before people are used to multiple TLDs,
    and many of the new entries will long be bankrupt by then. I still don't think there will be many who will put up the money to try this. A dozen, maybe two. Afillias is now promoting its' services to companies that want an extension for their own use, such as .EBay. This is a lot more sensible and I think will be the main effect of this change to ICANN rules..

I asked some ICANN big shot on his blog what will happen to purchased domains if that registry goes out of business. His answer is "we are discussing that". Not a very good answer. In a couple years there will be bankruptcies of registrars and either the owners of those domains will be SOL or ICANN will direct those domains to a caretaker such as Verisign and no more will be issued. I can see a new breed of domainers speculating on a company's demise so they can have a rare extension.

We are fortunate that Mobi is owned by Affilias. They are familiar with running domain registrys and will likely be here a long time.
    http://tibetanjewelry.mobi
    "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. And then you win."
    -Gandhi

I think that Accent is correct!
    There won't be many around purely from a financial standpoint. Personally I think that this is a good thing.

Here's a site set up which tries to explain it all in a little more detail...
    It's called "beyond dot com"
    http://www.beyonddotcom.info/

First time poster!

I assu asdsadsa qwewqeqw