Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mTLD / dotMobi no longer have a CEO (Trey Harvin is gone...)

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Hedderel View Post
    One of the main efforts in regards to .mobi is a renewed effort to work with brand and content developers in releasing premium and reserved names. I haven't seen any of the latest ones go live yet, but I'll be pushing them when I do...

... Are you going to see advertising or similar? Not at this point. ..
    Hello Vance

Further to my unanswered questions to you earlier in this thread, could you please tell us how many .mobi domains Dotmobi / Afilias have given away free as part of the giveaway promotions another member reported on this site?

What is the renewal rate for those giveaway domains?
    In fact Afilias have said that when .info domains are sold at $1.00 for the initial registration, that results in 80% renewal rates for those domains.

Have any premium, or one or two letter, domains actually been claimed and released? Does anyone even apply to get them?

I am really curious to know what members here think about three questions, namely:

1. In 2011 and onwards, why would someone actually use a .mobi domain?

2. How would you promote .mobi? What is the sales pitch?

3. How can Afilias maximise the money they earn from .mobi / Dotmobi ?

Quote Originally Posted by GoGo
    1. In 2011 and onwards, why would someone actually use a .mobi domain?
    Some will use it as a separate site to complement their .Com main site - but I see the main market to be new sites intended for mobile users.
    2. How would you promote .mobi? What is the sales pitch?
    The pitch is that this extension tells the user that the site is not going to cost a lot of money for bandwidth. It also tells the user that the site is for mobile use without the need to say it to the left of the dot.
    3. How can Afilias maximise the money they earn from .mobi / Dotmobi ?
    Hire Coast to energize the social networks. Someone young and knowledgeable needs to work the developer forums as a .Mobi representative. Developers I have spoken to have never heard the .Mobi story.

ICANN has no control over Country domain extensions (all two letter extensions, including .TV, .ME, .MO, .MP.).
    So any agreement to prevent similar extensions dies there.

.MP, the extension for the Northern Mariana Islands ( a US territory) promoted itself for a while as "Mobile Phone". No longer, it seems, but if the market is large someone will be tempted.

At the moment the market is very small for Mobile-focussed websites --- and this is what I would like to hear Vance comment on ....
    Last edited by Accent; 09-11-2011 at 12:48 AM.
    http://tibetanjewelry.mobi
    "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. And then you win."
    -Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Accent View Post

Hire Coast to energize the social networks.
    I thank you kindly for the compliment.

Getting back to the point of this thread, I wish Trey all the best in his next endeavor.
    Last edited by coast; 09-12-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Accent View Post
    .MP, the extension for the Northern Mariana Islands ( a US territory) promoted itself for a while as "Mobile Phone". No longer, it seems, but if the market is large someone will be tempted.
    I didn't know that. Thanks.

Does anyone know what .TEL is up to these days? I had a few and let them expire because I didn't like having the registry host them and a few other glitches that I didn't like.
    )

Well, I've also let numerous, popular, singular first names and category killers within context of the TLD and they remain available to this moment. I only had one handful.

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    Does anyone know what .TEL is up to these days? I had a few and let them expire because I didn't like having the registry host them and a few other glitches that I didn't like.

dotMobi PR Director

Quote Originally Posted by Andres Kello View Post
    There's only so much I'm willing to take bending over. If another extension brands itself as "mobile" and mTLD / dotMobi do nothing to enforce their exclusivity, then that's when I round up an army of the willing and file suit against the company, its owners, and who ever else needs the legal kick in the ass to protect my investment which was already based on so many false promises from the company.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen enough from this company that I think we would even have a legal case today, but I'm not yet willing to shoot myself in the foot like that since I run a few growing .mobi sites. However, if after throwing the Trustmark down the toilet like a shiit-stained rag, they dare shrug their shoulders at any potential TLD that attempts to encroach on the Mobile space, then that will be the proverbial straw that breaks this incredibly patient Camel's back.

They've already gotten away with murder. They're not going to get away with piissing on the corpse, too.

Let that be a warning to the company at the dawn of these new and re-branded TLD's. It will be a lot more costly for them not to protect their turf than it will be to do the right thing.
    At this moment, no one knows what strings are being submitted to ICANN; we won't know all until the initial list is published in late April of 2012. ICANN may or may not consider strings to be "confusingly similar" based on a variety of factors (which are noted in the New gTLD Program Applicant Guidebook.) Until then, it is impossible to determine the specific circumstances of what might be under consideration, and what possible responses and options might be.

".mo" I can't specifically address, but I have seen nothing to indicate that there are plans to use it to generate income as a ".mobi" substitute. Again, should a situation like that come to pass, we'd look at options at that point.

dotMobi PR Director

.mobi giveaway promotion? If something like this happened, it happened under cover. I know nothing about this and I have no idea how this would technically work. Can you point me to what you have seen / are referencing?

Have any premium, or one or two letter, domains actually been claimed and released? Does anyone even apply to get them

Yesa, and we've even done press releases on a few. You can find them in the Press Release archives at http://dotmobi.mobi/press_releases.

Are you going to see advertising or similar? Not at this point. With the .mobi domain count growing steadily and now well over the 1MM mark, the emphasis will be on organic growth. I don't think it's a secret that Afilias' emphasis for the next few months is new Top Level Domains in the dot City, dot Brand and dot Niche categories. But that said, we won't be ignoring .mobi's five year anniversary (or .info's ten year anniversary).
    Did we miss the 5 year anniversary party?

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    Did we miss the 5 year anniversary party?
    I didn't see much of a celebration either but wasn't expecting much. Unfortunately Mobi is no where near where I hoped it would be at this point in time.

1.That said though I was pleased to see Mobi sponsoring Circle ID's mobile section:

http://www.circleid.com/topics/mobile

It would be great to see more sponsorship like this as it looks to be a win-win for all MTLD's products including Dot Mobi.

2.This is a crucial time for Mobi as the corporate world is gearing up to invest in and develop mobile sites. If there was ever a time to promote like the above effort it is NOW....

3.At the risk of being too redundant in my posts I would once again encourage Mobi investors and developers who want to follow the happenings of Dot Mobi to visit:

http://Facebook.com/dotmobi

It is one of the best sources I've found for updates on what is happening with the Mobi brand and I check in daily to see what's up.

4. On another note: The early pundits who clamored about there being only one web were WRONG. Specific mobile development and search optimization DO MATTER! :

http://searchengineland.com/library/mobile-mondays

http://googlemobileads.blogspot.com/...w-factors.html

Much of life is timing. Like Dot Com the Dot Mobi TLD peaked way too early. Unlike Dot Com though Dot Mobi now must make it's point while the importance of promoting mobile friendly sites is most relevant or else it may continue to languish in obscurity......

Sorry for the ramble
    Last edited by think; 09-29-2011 at 05:13 PM.
    C.T. Kirkpatrick
    Austin Texas
    Akron.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by think View Post

Much of life is timing. Like Dot Com the Dot Mobi TLD peaked way too early. Unlike Dot Com though Dot Mobi now must make it's point while the importance of promoting mobile friendly sites is most relevant or else it may continue to languish in obscurity......

Sorry for the ramble

Great ramble CT, and I agree there are important similarities and differences between the lifecycles of .com and .mobi.

All I can tell you is that I have been on numerous conference calls and webinars, and some well-respected people with large customer mailing lists are talking about .mobi. If they don't, I bring it up. It's still amazing for SEO (not against fully entrenched aged .com's but for most things).

The speculative value is obviously very low with domainers, but I've got to say, mobile is finally hitting the radar of Small Biz USA and they are asking about .mobi and being told by each other, no, use a subdomain m. It's an added expense, and someone needs to be telling them why to use it. Afilias, know anyone at Inc., Fast Company or Entrepreneur?

Is .mobi good for business? Someone needs to prove it. It's infographic time.
    )

It's still amazing for SEO
    Could you please explain this claim about .mobi and give specifics?

It's an added expense, and someone needs to be telling them why to use it. Afilias, know anyone at Inc., Fast Company or Entrepreneur?
    What reason is there for them to use it?

So far when people on here are asked how to sell .mobi there aren't really answers. I don't think it is easy to sell - the window for that has passed and .mobi has very little to offer, and has real drawbacks.

.mobi giveaway promotion? If something like this happened, it happened under cover. I know nothing about this and I have no idea how this would technically work. Can you point me to what you have seen / are referencing?

http://mobility.mobi/showthread.php?...117#post160117

Well maybe they didn't bother telling their nominal PR rep. Another indicator that it is time to look for employment elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    Could you please explain this claim about .mobi and give specifics?

What reason is there for them to use it?

So far when people on here are asked how to sell .mobi there aren't really answers. I don't think it is easy to sell - the window for that has passed and .mobi has very little to offer, and has real drawbacks.
    Gogo, it's anecdotal evidence from my own sites since I am neither a paid researcher nor do I want to do anyone else's work for them. I know that when I've made sites on a .mobi I see googlebot and slurp and baidu before the site is finished, and when I make sites on a .com I pretty much have to call them with links elsewhere and it can take awhile for them to show up.

Long ago one of the mtld developers (now departed) told me about the zone file, and it was later echoed by other dotMobi people. After seeing it first hand, that is all the evidence I need.

When the new TLD's come out and they have thinly populated zone files, they might get spidered faster, too. I can't say for certain whether or not mobile search engines weigh .mobi in their algorithms or not (and the algo's change often so what's true today might not be true tomorrow).
    )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12