Thread: CSS3 fonts

Default CSS3 fonts

This article lists a number of places on the web where you can get beautiful fonts for free. Should be good for those with design skills. As for me, I'll just stick to Arial/Helvetica considering my lack of artistic ability

http://www.sitepoint.com/5-of-the-best-css3-font-tools/

What fonts are easy on the eyes when reading off a laptop screen? suggests Verdana is the way to go. I've seen it included in CSS style sheet, but I don't understand how it work. If you include several font names in the font-family attribute, how do browsers decide which one to use? Also, is Verdana available in all major browsers used by smartphones?

Here's more discussion on Verdana vs Arial.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...ma-for-on-scre

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    What fonts are easy on the eyes when reading off a laptop screen? suggests Verdana is the way to go. I've seen it included in CSS style sheet, but I don't understand how it work. If you include several font names in the font-family attribute, how do browsers decide which one to use? Also, is Verdana available in all major browsers used by smartphones?
    If you include multiple font names, the browser will try them from left to right. Say you have "Verdana, Arial, sans-serif" in font-family, the browser will choose Verdana if it's available. If not, it will try to use Arial. If not even Arial is available, it would choose a generic sans-serif font.

Verdana is at least available in Safari on iPhone/iPad and IE on WP7. Not sure about Android or the others. I'd add links to relevant resources but as a newbie I'm apparently not allowed to do so

I've found the answer. Thanks for the explanation, though. Oh, BTW, welcome to Mobility. What's your interest in the mobile area?

I guess you already found the answer to my interest from the introductory thread as well