Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dot Mobi Domain Names

First time poster!

Question Dot Mobi Domain Names

Just joined. Where do you think .mobi domain names are headed in the next 24 months? I have several high quality names like benefits.mobi, cricketgames.mobi, stealth.mobi and other tld's. I need advice. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, Brian. I have no idea how .mobi will perform in the short term. The resale market is dead. However, I've been actively buying .mobi and then developing them, because I see great potential in the longer term (5+ years). Staying power is required.

G'day Brian

I'm tending to agree with China here.
    To sell now, would not be wise, unless you need the money I suppose!
    Right now it's a buyers market

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Campbell View Post
    Just joined. Where do you think .mobi domain names are headed in the next 24 months? I have several high quality names like benefits.mobi, cricketgames.mobi, stealth.mobi and other tld's. I need advice. Thanks.
    For the past 2-3 years, the value of .mobi domain names has been inversely proportional to the growth of all things "mobile" and there is nothing to suggest that trend won't continue for the next 24 months and beyond. This almost paradoxical trend should be a huge warning sign.

So unless you plan on developing your .mobi's with a profitable business plan, I would drop all domains like the ones you have listed.

If you don't want to drop all of the ones you won't be developing yet don't know which ones to keep, here is a very crude hard and fast rule: keep any whose .com version has an Estibot valuation of at least 6-figures and drop the rest.

Hope that helps.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Based on what I've seen here on this forum recently, I may even venture to say that it's extremely difficult to find a buyer if the selling price is more than $50.

Drop.

Unless you think a domain would very easily sell in info or biz and you would accept far less than half that amount for a mobi, just drop it. It costs you the same - or more - to rent a mobi lottery ticket as it does in more saleable extensions.

Every once in a while a geo or product mobi sells, but this is so infrequent and the prices are so low your money is better off somewhere else.

Next 24 months? More of the same, registration level hovering around 1m, very few sales, continued growth in other extensions, continued interest and investment in .co. So in relative terms mobi stagnates and has no aftermarket. Not a place for domainers.

Brian, please check my email to you.

Mobility Regular FilipinoFood.com's Avatar

`
    Last edited by FilipinoFood.com; 05-24-2011 at 02:57 AM.
    HTML Code:
    <iframe width=100% height=300 name="webchat" src="http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=de9a2e413dbb2d2bd2dd11f47d5e3df9&server=irc.Mibbit.Net&channel=%23webmasterradio&autoConnect=true&nick=WMR%3F%3F%3F"></iframe>

Mobi is a textbook example of a price bubble. When it was released in 2007 a lot of speculators jumped aboard. Many believed that cell phones would only work, or only work well on Mobi domains. Any low quality LLL.mobi (Mobi consisting of only three letters) was selling for over $200. Then the economy tanked, and investors lost faith. Some sold out, those sales dropped prices causing other investors to panic. Now there are thousands of LLL.mobi available to register.

Notice something?
    These are all domainer events, having nothing to do with the value proposition brought to a business by a Mobi domain.

Apps and expensive bandwidth rule the mobile space now, but bandwidth will get cheaper and browsers will prevail soon enough, IMO. Businesses who market to users of smart phones and IPads will want to show potential customers that their site is Mobile. I got an email from a web designer last week. His site XYZdeveloping(.)com is 10 years old. He just bought XYZmobile(.)com and wanted my XYZ(.)mobi. He saw the advantage of Mobi names for a mobile market. No other extension has this potential.

Will the current "reverse bubble" end within two years? I am betting on four years. In the meantime buy extreme quality at distressed prices.
    http://tibetanjewelry.mobi
    "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. And then you win."
    -Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Accent View Post
    Mobi is a textbook example of a price bubble. When it was released in 2007 a lot of speculators jumped aboard. Many believed that cell phones would only work, or only work well on Mobi domains. Any low quality LLL.mobi (Mobi consisting of only three letters) was selling for over $200. Then the economy tanked, and investors lost faith. Some sold out, those sales dropped prices causing other investors to panic. Now there are thousands of LLL.mobi available to register.

Notice something?
    These are all domainer events, having nothing to do with the value proposition brought to a business by a Mobi domain.
    Some important elements are missing from your timeline IMO. Not mentioned are mTLD's abandonment of dev compliance which was one of the key value propositions pre-landrush; the lack of a full "brand".mobi push by the mTLD investors followed by their full retreat from the company; the monstrosity of the Sedo auction fiasco; the growing awareness that few were reporting profitability in the use of .mobi websites; and the growth of competing (and importantly free) mobile website naming alternatives for existing PC websites just to name a few.

So while I agree the price bubble was largely driven by speculation, there was more going on than just speculation and domainer events alone to impact confidence in the extension.

One company doesn't speak for the entire corporate world, but consider that flowers.com was the first loser at flowers.mobi auction#1 at $200k and then didn't get the name in auction#2 at $6500. I'm fairly certain they were made aware of auction#2 but didn't see a point to capture the domain at even less than 5% of what they bid a few years prior. That's a powerful indicator of how a company has completely reversed it's position regarding .mobi, to the point of not even spending 5% of their previous value assessment to defend their brand from possible competition from another owner of flowers.mobi.

I don't think it's over for .mobi but things could have gone a lot differently to this point in time related to .mobi's position in the mobile web we know today, and it's not all about the impact of domainers and speculation.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 05-23-2011 at 06:51 PM.

True, of course.

I was speaking of the value of the term ".Mobi" as it is presented to the end user, along with .Biz, .Net, whatever alternatives he has assembled for his purchase. Yes, there are other factors, and I wonder if some speculators were expecting a .Mobi-only mobile web. Regardless, the end user either wants .Com or he wants to place a message on the right side of the dot. "Mobi" is a good message.
    http://tibetanjewelry.mobi
    "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. And then you win."
    -Gandhi

Long term .mobi might stand to make some ground. Though many speculators/investors have left (I think) might "leave the field open" for genuine .mobi use.
    Should this happen it just may spark renewed interest!

Time will tell...

Welcome to mobility. There are a lot of (legitimately) angry domain name investors here since we all took part in defending both .mobi and mTLD in the face of some really astronomical anti-mobi sentiment at the time this forum was founded.

If you are strictly in it for the flip, then these names won't sell for very much in the short term. If you have any kind of developing experience whatsoever, build them and get them some age in the search engines. The SEO value of a developed .mobi against a parked .com, .net or .org (or .co.uk, etc.) is very strong. You could come out on top with good content.

I have a site that is a .mobi that ranks in the top 400,000's on Alexa and hits the front page of Google almost every time I write. Don't let anyone - and I mean ANYONE - tell you that .mobi is bad for SEO. Type in traffic is another story. There is very limited (VERY limited) marketing support behind the .mobi TLD, so you will have to optimize your site and educate people to type in .mobi and not .com.

Hope that helps.
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

Default What about premium .mobi ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    Based on what I've seen here on this forum recently, I may even venture to say that it's extremely difficult to find a buyer if the selling price is more than $50.
    I think that's not true for premium dotmobi names. In the last months you can see premium .mobi names sold for X.XXX$ :

Jackpot.mobi - $4,500
    Vouchers.mobi - $5,390
    Westport.mobi - $1001
    HLN.mobi sells for $3125

If you have premium names I think you should keep them and wait. The 4-5 next years mobile internet market will be huge and .mobi premium names will have a room, at least 2-3 times bigger than now.

Jackpot.mobi - $4,500 x 2 = $9,000
    Vouchers.mobi - $5,390 x 2 = $10,780 ...

That's my opinion.

WorldonMobi, I like your optimism... and your fact checking. Welcome to Mobility.
    )

Welcome to Mobility, worldonMobi. I was referring to the absence of buyers of .mobi on this forum in the last few weeks.

Thanks for your wellcome. I hope to be able to take part of this forum with good threads.

Quote Originally Posted by worldonmobile View Post
    Thanks for your wellcome. I hope to be able to take part of this forum with good threads.
    Welcome, did you know that http://Barcelona.mobi is in use ?
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

I wonder if the OP is ever coming back

Hi.
    I knew, and there are also some other local dotmobi sites working:

Gencat.mobi ( mobile site of the local goverment of catalunya )
    It is even advertised on TV , youtube.com/watch?v=MXGfXqLlKqw

Lacaixa.mobi, bbva.mobi ( One of the most important banks in Spain )

Renfe.mobi ( Spanish railway )

Thanks for the heads up on that WOMobile!
    Good news...

Hi.
    I knew, and there are also some other local dotmobi sites working:

Gencat.mobi ( mobile site of the local goverment of catalunya )
    It is even advertised on TV , youtube.com/watch?v=MXGfXqLlKqw

Lacaixa.mobi, bbva.mobi ( One of the most important banks in Spain )

Renfe.mobi ( Spanish railway )
    nice quick video on Gencat.mobi, thanks for posting.

Mobility Regular FilipinoFood.com's Avatar

`
    Last edited by FilipinoFood.com; 06-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    HTML Code:
    <iframe width=100% height=300 name="webchat" src="http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=de9a2e413dbb2d2bd2dd11f47d5e3df9&server=irc.Mibbit.Net&channel=%23webmasterradio&autoConnect=true&nick=WMR%3F%3F%3F"></iframe>

Mobility Regular

I think that's not true for premium dotmobi names. In the last months you can see premium .mobi names sold for X.XXX$ :

Jackpot.mobi - $4,500
    Vouchers.mobi - $5,390
    Westport.mobi - $1001
    HLN.mobi sells for $3125

If you have premium names I think you should keep them and wait. The 4-5 next years mobile internet market will be huge and .mobi premium names will have a room, at least 2-3 times bigger than now.

Jackpot.mobi - $4,500 x 2 = $9,000
    Vouchers.mobi - $5,390 x 2 = $10,780 ...

That's my opinion.
    I'd be willing to bet that Westport fits that equation NOW, not 4 to 5 years from now. $1001 x 2 = $2002
    In fact, I think its worth a lot more then that. I'd try to prove it, too....if someone or someones were to make it worth my while. How about this, I am from Virginia, and I will put up a deluxe large box of Virginia peanuts in case I lose. You offer to wager something delectable from your area.....and I will attempt to prove that Westport is worth at least 5 times $1001. Let me know if anyone is interested. Terms to be determined, but I want 30 days. Scandi, I believe you live in a valley of plenty.....care to offer up a box of some sort of local vegetable treat?

Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that Westport fits that equation NOW, not 4 to 5 years from now. $1001 x 2 = $2002
    In fact, I think its worth a lot more then that. I'd try to prove it, too....if someone or someones were to make it worth my while. How about this, I am from Virginia, and I will put up a deluxe large box of Virginia peanuts in case I lose. You offer to wager something delectable from your area.....and I will attempt to prove that Westport is worth at least 5 times $1001. Let me know if anyone is interested. Terms to be determined, but I want 30 days. Scandi, I believe you live in a valley of plenty.....care to offer up a box of some sort of local vegetable treat?
    I would certainly be surprised to see Westport.mobi sell for over $5,000 within 30 days from now. Not looking to wager over it but I'll think about it and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    I would certainly be surprised to see Westport.mobi sell for over $5,000 within 30 days from now. Not looking to wager over it but I'll think about it and get back to you.
    I'm thinking a bar of Northern California's own Ghirardelli chocolate might fit the bill.
    )

The 4-5 next years mobile internet market will be huge and .mobi premium names will have a room, at least 2-3 times bigger than now.
    Assuming mobile = .mobi is very dangerous.

That is how domainers lost so much money on .mobi - they assumed that growth in mobile would mean growth in mobi. It did not happen.

A safer way to look at it is the available TLDs are now com, net, org, info, biz, co, tv, mobi, me.

mobi is probably the second least registered of those and has hovered around 1m registrations for about 2 years, with no mobi selling much over $5000 in that time. There have been many .me five figure sales in that period, as well as five figure .asia sales. So the mobi aftermarket is probably the weakest of all the TLDs, and Sedo's quarterly reports never include mobi as the sales volume is insignificant.

Even if mobi adds 10,000 new registrations a month, how long will it take for it to catch up with the 2m of .biz and the mediocre .biz aftermarket?

Buying mobi is like deliberately buying the cheapest properties on the Monopoly board, except on this board almost all the properties cost the same to register. Since mobi domains are often seen as additional to a site owner's main domain, why would the owner want to pay a huge price for a second domain they do not really need?
    Last edited by gogo; 05-26-2011 at 07:08 AM.

This week we've had two new members asking about the value of .mobi. I wonder if just hearing the question again from unrelated people is stirring the pot.

Gogo, I agree, thinking mobile = .mobi automatically without doing anything is a big mistake. If anyone wants to do an experiment of taking all of the tld's and registering a brand new name which would come out on top of the SERPs. I would say something about duplicate content but then I would have to go run and hide because Andy would object to the topic
    Last edited by coast; 05-26-2011 at 07:48 AM.
    )

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    Assuming mobile = .mobi is very dangerous.
    I Agree, it is dangerous and a big mistake.

It would be also a big mistake assuming mobile = .com, or m.xxxx.com, or xxxx.com/mobile, or just app's on the smartphones.

Mobile will be huge, mobile internet is global and will be more present in a variety of markets, sectors and countries than ever before.

It is impossible to predict which option to pick up mobile internet surfers will be the most used or most efficient. Trends will be different and will vary alot as mobile internet grows.

That is how domainers lost so much money on .mobi - they assumed that growth in mobile would mean growth in mobi. It did not happen.
    Also agree. Assuming the growth in mobile internet will be the same in .mobi is another big mistake, but not assuming growth in mobile means also growth in .mobi.

Since mobi domains are often seen as additional to a site owner's main domain, why would the owner want to pay a huge price for a second domain they do not really need?
    In such a huge mobile internet growth forecast for the following next years, I think that new business and companies will born, and some or many of them will consider their mobile site as their main domain.

What I've done at this moment with my .mobi names. I got rid of few domains that considered would not have an important value in the future and keep the rest.
    How to decide wich ones to keep? I don't know, but do not be afraid to come to the conclusion that registering that domain name was a mistake, time have past and the information that you had some years ago was not the same you have now.

And before registering a new .mobi name don't do the same most of us did. Know we have 5 years of information to decide what domain name register.

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    I'm thinking a bar of Northern California's own Ghirardelli chocolate might fit the bill.
    Are you taking his wager?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast