Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give.mobi - Premium .mobi in partnership with PayPal

Default Give.mobi - Premium .mobi in partnership with PayPal

Just saw this on the PayPal.com homepage and was pleasantly surprised: http://i.imgur.com/f8edM.png

Visited the site and it is a perfect use of a .mobi and a great purpose:

"Give.mobi provides the easiest and most economical way for NPOs to reach out and accept mobile donations from any smartphone. Each NPO pays a nominal $39 monthly subscription fee to participate. Participating NPOs are incorporated within the global Give.mobi portal, accessable by over 150 million smartphone users."

Looks beautiful on the PC and iPhone.

Give.mobi
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Agreed it's a cool site, will do a lot for .mobi exposure. I'm curious to understand who is behind this. The give.mobi website says this is part of CharityCall.com but the whois says mTLD is the registrant. Kudos to mTLD if they are developing strategic partnerships in this fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    Agreed it's a cool site, will do a lot for .mobi exposure. I'm curious to understand who is behind this. The give.mobi website says this is part of CharityCall.com but the whois says mTLD is the registrant. Kudos to mTLD if they are developing strategic partnerships in this fashion.
    The domain shows a last transfer date of February of this year, so if I had to guess, Charity Call and PayPal RFP'd it directly with mTLD a few months ago and just haven't changed the default Premium WHOIS info yet.

I doubt this is a strategic partnership with mTLD or we would have heard about it from them. They've been doing so little lately that I'm sure any kind of partnership with a large company like PayPal would have been plastered all over.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

| Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Quote Originally Posted by Andres Kello View Post
    The domain shows a last transfer date of February of this year, so if I had to guess, Charity Call and PayPal RFP'd it directly with mTLD a few months ago and just haven't changed the default Premium WHOIS info yet.
    We'll see soon enough, pretty sloppy to leave the previous owners data in place but could be overlooked I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres Kello View Post
    I doubt this is a strategic partnership with mTLD or we would have heard about it from them. They've been doing so little lately that I'm sure any kind of partnership with a large company like PayPal would have been plastered all over.
    Give.mobi was discussed at mTLD's facebook page over a week ago. Assuming there is a strategic partnership, the publicity/disclosures of the arrangements could easily be governed by the agreement. I know I'm bound by similar agreements, it's not uncommon.

Pred

you deserve a r-imming of almost biblical proportions for this find Andres

no sign of it on paypal.co.uk site even in business section etc

wonder if they pay paypal for promotion or is some sort of partnership where as they just use them for the payments procesing theyre happy to promote

We'll see soon enough, pretty sloppy to leave the previous owners data in place but could be overlooked I guess.
    I've seen this happen several times with other Premium .mobi's.

Give.mobi was discussed at mTLD's facebook page over a week ago. Assuming there is a strategic partnership, the publicity/disclosures of the arrangements could easily be governed by the agreement. I know I'm bound by similar agreements, it's not uncommon.
    I can't imagine any agreement where mTLD would not be allowed to disclose its partnership with a Charity-related organization. I don't think their "partnership" here goes beyond giving them the domain for free under RFP.

Regardless, this is still good news for .mobi, although we need thousands more like it if we're ever going to get anywhere.

Pred

well judging by their site and facebook page they will promote give.mobi

lets hope they don't promote this one in press release etc.
    http://www.givedotmobi.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Pred View Post
    well judging by their site and facebook page they will promote give.mobi

lets hope they don't promote this one in press release etc.
    http://www.givedotmobi.com/
    I think it's a given that they'll promote the .mobi since their logo has the .mobi:

Pred

heres the designer and developer, im guessing he's not the owner though?

http://devin.la/portfolio/give-mobi-...-mobile-donate
    http://devin.la/bio

mobile developing tips
    http://devin.la/blog

would be a great asset to forum, maybe send him an invite Andres?
    very talented chap

Interesting that the PC version is targeted at charity organizations and the mobile versions at donors. I found two issues on my Android phone.

1. I had to tap some menu items twice to open the next page.
    2. Some pages took 20 seconds or more to open.

I didn't find any button to allow donors to donate right from the page they are reading. Would it be nice to call for an immediate action when the donors are still hot about the idea of making a donation?

www.give.mobi
    What a nice site, and that it is used for charital purposes makes it even better!

Default give.mobi

Hello All, I'm so encouraged by the positive discussion about our new give.mobi platform. We love the .mobi community and look forward to making Give.mobi into the 'go to" place on the mobile web for personal philanthropy.

Welcome Bob. Great site! Congratulations. Have you considered the idea of adding a button to allow visitors to make a donation right from your site?

Default Give.mobi donation access

But of course!

The site allows each participating nonprofit to have their own page.
    If you to go give.mobi from you mobile device and select any of the listed orgs, you will then be directed to that orgs individual page that allows you to make a donation using PayPal or to issue a Pledge.

The premise of Give.mobi is to provide nonprofits with a "branded" mobile web URL and page that included a facility for accepting donations.

Try it..

Default give.mobi/afca

Just to give you all an opportunity to text the give.mobi donation platform I would encourage you to visit give.mobi/afca on your mobile device and issue a small (or large) donation or pledge.

You'll see how well the entire process works from the integrated PayPal payment facility to the generation of the actual emailed tax receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicdog View Post
    Just to give you all an opportunity to text the give.mobi donation platform I would encourage you to visit give.mobi/afca on your mobile device and issue a small (or large) donation or pledge.

You'll see how well the entire process works from the integrated PayPal payment facility to the generation of the actual emailed tax receipt.
    So why does this page bomb when visiting via my laptop? I think you're headed down a bumpy road closing the door to non-mobiles.

It's designed primarily as a mobile web site but can be viewed from a PC by inserting a m. in front of the url. In this case m.give.mobi/afca.

Each member page includes "sharing" links for Facebook and Twitter that include the m. so that the page can be viewed from either a PC or mobile device.

Thanks for the input.

Pred

should it not just auto detect device? down to even what brand phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Pred View Post
    should it not just auto detect device?
    As far as I can tell it does, mobile users and pc users get different content. The confusion is that the donation URL requires a mobile device, and to use a pc you need to prefix with "m." This approach will make it confusing for both users and NPOs since there isn't one device independent URL for donations, unless perhaps the m. Url is the universal URL which is counterintuitive to the purpose of .mobi. The confusion in this thread is but a microcosm of what's ahead with this approach.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 05-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Pred

Thumbs up

agreed Scandi
    definitely needs to be resolved

Bob, please don't take our comments the wrong way, love the concept and the service packaged in a great domain, just want you to succeed and be the best it can be. Many here have been dealing with mobile for a long time and know some of the struggles first hand.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 05-12-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Great find, Andres. Bob, Scandiman has a lot of good technical knowledge and is very pro-.mobi. If anyone on this forum criticizes something that doesn't work, rest assured it is constructive criticism intended to make you better, not tear you down.

An m. for a pc site is very confusing. Most people associate it with a mobile version. There are some real device detection pros on the forum, like AndyMoore, gogo and Scandiman for starters. It might be worth your while to find out if they have suggestions to help you out. There's also Device Atlas, with free and paid versions from the registry dotMobi.

Fantastic idea and welcome aboard mobility!
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

Default m.

No offense taken here. I greatly appreciate the input. We have been discussing this particular issue lately. The best solution may be to use givedotmobi.com as our sales website URL and free up give.mobi to be accessible from both PC and mobile devices.

Any suggested alternatives are most welcome. We want to make the platform as beneficial to our nonprofit clients as possible.

Thanks

I think having givedotmobi.com is unnecessarily confusing. What if you created a subdomain for the nonprofits, and plain ol' give.mobi for donors? Perhaps something like this might work:

nonprofits.give.mobi
    signup.give.mobi
    accounts.give.mobi

Keep it super simple for the nonprofits is my best suggestion. These people are on limited budgets, have limited staff, and have VERY limited time to explain things to volunteers. Have the interface walk them through the process as easily as possible.

Thanks for allowing us to participate in the process.
    Last edited by coast; 05-12-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: grammatical correction
    )

One more thing, remember to put links to the subdomain on the main give.mobi page so the not for profits don't have to remember the subdomain.
    )

Maybe take a look at the ASPCA's .mobi website donation page for a solution - when visiting aspca.mobi from a desktop PC it seems to display and function just like on mobile device - apparantly no "m." required.

https://aspca.mobi/donations

Best of luck with your Give.mobi site.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicdog View Post
    No offense taken here. I greatly appreciate the input. We have been discussing this particular issue lately. The best solution may be to use givedotmobi.com as our sales website URL and free up give.mobi to be accessible from both PC and mobile devices.

Any suggested alternatives are most welcome. We want to make the platform as beneficial to our nonprofit clients as possible.

Thanks

Bob, sent you my info via your contact form, drop me a line if you want to discuss it in more detail.

Correction: your contact form at charitycall won't complete the submit so if you want to discuss feel free to use the contact form at lodging.mobi.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 05-12-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    I think having givedotmobi.com is unnecessarily confusing.
    I'm agreeing with our social media expert here! You have a short, easy to say/spell domain name that people will remember. It's important to keep it simple, not create confusion.

Not to take work away from your staff, but there are many members here that could help you guys get through this little problem. Good luck

Yes, keep it simple. Our job is to use technology to make it as simple and easy as possible for users.

cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast