Thread: Mobilelink.mobi "Linking You to the Mobile Web"

Default Mobilelink.mobi "Linking You to the Mobile Web"

Hello everyone,

I published my first mobile website a few days ago. Mobilelink.mobi which is a mobile web directory. After doing so, I joined the forum and introduced myself and my new website. And, I received many - much needed - constructive reply's.

Many of you had the experience to see what I couldn't and jumped right in to let me know what you perceived as major problems with the website. I've spent the last 2-days finding solutions and updating it with a fresh look.

Thanks to all of you who gave me your thoughts and suggestions! I really appreciated your help.

As Mobile Link is a work-in-progress, I look forward to any comments you may offer.

Here's the URL: http://mobilelink.mobi

J. Van
    Last edited by J. Van; 02-15-2011 at 07:32 AM.

It still redirects to cellular.wirenode. Is it what you want to do?

Unfortunately, I cannot mask the forward without it affecting how the site renders on some mobile phones. I had to make a decision to use the forwarding without a mask (which is why it shows the cellular URL now) or restricting the use of the site to people who had touch screen phones with a masked forward (Which would show mobilelink.mobi in the URL)

I think I made the right choice, to allow the cellular URL to appear and let everyone enjoy the site.

Thanks again for your input. You've got a good eye for detail.

J. Van

ChinaMobi,

Here's one for you.. Click on: Art
    Last edited by J. Van; 02-15-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Mobile link main page is huge. 26.34 KB is too much for mobile browsers, especially when not all mobile browsers accessing the internet are capable of displaying such pages.
    If you want, i can develop and lend you my iland.mobi with easy to use content-management-system to enlist sites and write a review too as that is what i find being done on mobilelink.mobi

Good advice, morse. I also try to use 20KB as the limit, but sometimes it's tough when there's an image I must include. My Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a good example where even one picture is better than none.

As smartphones are getting faster and faster, I think it'll become easier to develop sites with richer contents.

You are very generous, morse.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Van View Post
    Here's one for you..
    Did you develop this one as well?

ChinaMobi,

No, I just found it. And, I thought you'd like to view it. I thought it was interesting....(A glass of wine....my cell phone...an art show...)

Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    Mobile link main page is huge. 26.34 KB is too much for mobile browsers, especially when not all mobile browsers accessing the internet are capable of displaying such pages.
    If you want, i can develop and lend you my iland.mobi with easy to use content-management-system to enlist sites and write a review too as that is what i find being done on mobilelink.mobi

I'm afraid I don't know what iland.mobi is. I Googled it and it came up 'Forbidden'. "You don't have permission to access / on this server."

However, I'll take all the help I can get. But, can you be more specific as to what you are offering. I just didn't fully understand your reply. Sorry, I'm an old man.

Sorry, I'm an old man.
    This can never be an excuse. You may be talking to many members here who are much older than you are. (Not that I know the exact ages of our members here) Ha Ha!!!

I'm afraid I don't know what iland.mobi is. I Googled it and it came up 'Forbidden'. "You don't have permission to access / on this server."

However, I'll take all the help I can get. But, can you be more specific as to what you are offering. I just didn't fully understand your reply. Sorry, I'm an old man.
    I have yet not developed iLand.mobi , I will develop it tonight or tomorrow morning, you shall then know about it

Mobile link main page is huge. 26.34 KB
    I've done some work on the top graphic and now the size of page markup is 21065 bytes. And, the The total download size for this page is 35958 bytes. (mobi.Ready results 4/5)

Just to let you guys know, 3-days ago the total download size was at 75 KB. So, I've taken a beating on the graphics I wanted to use. I think this is pretty good now. Anyone disagree? And, if so, suggestions would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    This can never be an excuse.
    OK, I'm 29...and holding...

I've been 29 and holding for quite a number of years now.

What I should have said is that I'm a graphics designer and my line of thinking (because of my profession) is, the larger the dpi the better. Just now, having to drop the dpi on my top graphic from 300 to 72 to get the size of my page markup from 26.34 KB to 21.06 KB just went against my grain.

I'll just have to keep a stiff upper lip.....(sniffle, sniffle). I now know what .mobi stands for...

Mother
    Of
    Bad
    Ideas
    Last edited by J. Van; 02-15-2011 at 09:47 AM.

try

http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/imageoptimizer/

see how it effects the graphic size
    or you can even try the below free tool

http://tinyurl.com/r4b36b

i cannot give the exact url of second online free tool as it contains a letter which this forum classifies as bad word anyways this url (its clean, non offensive) was something Andy had recommended sometime back. He is the God of Mobile web Development.

I have yet not developed iLand.mobi , I will develop it tonight or tomorrow morning, you shall then know about it
    You can email me at:
    [email protected]

Thanks!

J. Van

Thanks Morse,

I'm now at 20.57KB. 4/5