Thread: FYI: Apple planning to place iPhone’s antenna behind logo

Default FYI: Apple planning to place iPhone’s antenna behind logo

According to a patent, Apple is hoping to move the iPhone's antenna behind the Apple logo. This could potentially solve the attenuation problem that has plagued the iPhone 4.
    If you remember, the iPad already uses a sort of "logo antenna" (as does the iMac), but those antennas deal with Wi-Fi. This new patent spells out use for cell phone antennas too, the patent states that the "logo antennas" will cover "wireless communications in cellular telephone bands such as the GSM bands at 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz and 1900 MHz and the 2100 MHz data band." Making it seem incredibly ideal for future iPhones.
    Interestingly though, the iPad and iMac are both made from aluminum (while the iPhone 4 is currently glass) and the logo on the iPad and iMac is significantly larger than that on the iPhone.- via Gizmodo
    6a0120a5580826970c0&.jpg

When I was learning electronics, they told me one very interesting thing. Scientists have been able to minimize almost all electronic components except of-course the "transformer" . Since they cannot minimize it, they end up relocating it. Having antenna behind a logo is quite a good move, but then again one would need to hold the phone in a very special way.

Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    When I was learning electronics, they told me one very interesting thing. Scientists have been able to minimize almost all electronic components except of-course the "transformer" . Since they cannot minimize it, they end up relocating it. Having antenna behind a logo is quite a good move, but then again one would need to hold the phone in a very special way.
    What is the 'transformer'? Doesn't placing the antenna behind the logo actually resolves the holding-your-phone-problem? You don't hold the back of your phone, right (just the sides of it)?

For tranformer details, you can checkout the Wikipedia page
    While talking on phone we hold our mobile in such a position that we nearly miss covering the camera. Manufacturer logos usually get partially covered / shaded during the same time. The larger the antenna, the better reception it would get (that has usually been the logic), so consolidating antenna beneath the logo will cause shortening its receptive area and would become an experimental move which may plague the device with more network issues. Nokia has been a leader in network reception and battery longevity, both of which are interdependent. Now if this new move by Apple to hide its antenna under logo works out great deal, then for sure Nokia gets displaced from its numero uno position regarding the previous mention two parameters.

Ha, of course: size *does* matter, eh? lol.. yeah makes sense (thanks for explaining btw!).

I guess Apple will put maximum efforts to deal with the problem, plus they'll have to compensate for the big mistake. It has drawn a huge blow to their name, even though it's brand can withstand some. Will be interesting to see what's gonna happen.

A freshly unearthed Apple patent application point towards that the company is planning to equip future iOS and Mac devices with an antenna located beneath the famed Apple logo on the back.
    According to Patently Apple, the patent application, which was filed back in June 2009, the technology developed by Apple will permit the company to place the antenna underneath the Apple logo that is found at the back of the iPhone 5, the iPad 2 as well as future iPod Touch and Mac OSX PCs.
    When Apple launched the iPhone 4, the device was blemished with the infamous Antennagate scandal, in which the device’s antenna had a flaw in its design which resulted in dropped calls when held in a particular manner.

It's strange, but whenever I got the 4, I never noticed any antenna issues, nor did anyone at the store tell me about....but apparently it was an issue. Since I never saw it, I don't think their new placement really affects me, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by macy77 View Post
    It's strange, but whenever I got the 4, I never noticed any antenna issues, nor did anyone at the store tell me about....but apparently it was an issue. Since I never saw it, I don't think their new placement really affects me, honestly.
    It's not an issue as long as you have a case (which most folks do).