Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile Apps, .mobi, domain names

I would say most of .mobi registrations were held by domain name investors, I guess at 90% but that's my opinion.

The growth

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    That doesn't sound like evidence pertaining *growth*. I'm saying the usage of mobile URL's is dying, it was a trend a couple of years ago whilst today there is a switch to auto detection which is my view makes far more sense.

So what is the "evidence" you are arguing on the basis of? Or are we just going to get another list or some Google search results?
    You're the one who is insisting the mobile URL will be non-existent so I'll wait for you to prove your own case.

Just saw apps on the BlackBerry new phone. I can see why it fills up the screen.
    The apps look just like my laptop desktop icons.

I only looked at the apps as this Blackberry does not belong to me.

Aren't they really the same thing. Icons, apps. What is the difference?
    I hardly ever click on the icons on my laptop screen.

So why is the world so crazy about apps? Aren't they icons with another name?

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by limomobi View Post
    Just saw apps on the BlackBerry new phone. I can see why it fills up the screen.
    The apps look just like my laptop desktop icons.

I only looked at the apps as this Blackberry does not belong to me.

Aren't they really the same thing. Icons, apps. What is the difference?
    I hardly ever click on the icons on my laptop screen.

So why is the world so crazy about apps? Aren't they icons with another name?
    Yes they are basically the same. The image (icon) is the same thing on both a computer and a phone. It is the image that represents the program behind it that will function when you click the icon. An application is a software program that is tailored to your user experience. Applications can be downloaded and run independently of the internet or many apps rely on the cloud computing of the internet to complete it's functions.

Hope that helps and that I didn't butcher the explanation....
    C.T. Kirkpatrick
    Austin Texas
    Akron.mobi

Thank you Think.

Your explanation makes perfect sense to me.

So if icons have been here for ages on the screen of laptops, why this sudden craze about apps (icons) on mobile phones?
    Is it b/c the apps (icons) on the mobile phones are new and that is why people are downloading them like crazy.

I'm not that crazy over the icons in my laptop computer. In fact, I only click on the icon for the internet. All the rest I ignore.
    So maybe once the newness of apps on mobile phones will wear out and people will ignore it again.

It's interesting to me that they call the computer laptop icons and then the mobile phones apps.
    Kind of like when they used to call writing to each other on the internet as bulletins, and now it is called blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by limomobi View Post
    It's interesting to me that they call the computer laptop icons and then the mobile phones apps.
    Icons are just shortcuts or links. When you touch an icon on your smartphone, this may launch an app stored on your phone, or send you to a website. If I remember correctly, for example, the Gmail icon on Android phones launches the Gmail app, but the Gmail icon on an iPhone takes you to Gmail's website.

Thanks for the explanation ChinaMobi.

Mobility Member

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post

Unless you need functionality you can only get from an app, why create it? Doing so is hugely inefficient, you now have creation and maintenance costs not for one site, but for apps for iphone, android, blackberry, windows phone, flavours of Nokia.
    Because once someone has it on their phone is is far easier to visit than opening a browser, and typing in a url or looking up a bookmark.

I don't know if there is much point questioning why companies would use apps, the simple fact is they are using them, are so are the visitors.
    Last edited by Snoopy; 11-23-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Yes companies use apps and I'm sure the majority have a mobile version of their website too! For me it's easier to access websites vs. Apps on my iPhone. I can keep 8 sites up and ready to use at the touch of a button...no different than an app. At least when I go to those 8 sites I pick up where I left off.

Very few apps are worth using. For me it's facebook, paypal, weather, and 2-3 more. We'll never see the day when apps are exclusively used on mobiles for website access.

Quote Originally Posted by keithmt View Post
    I can keep 8 sites up and ready to use at the touch of a button...no different than an app.
    And if you bookmark the site to the home screen then you get a "webclip" icon that is the same as an app. And if coded correctly, the website can have a custom icon for that purpose (try visiting www.lodging.mobi on your iphone and then bookmark it to the home screen).

Quote Originally Posted by keithmt View Post
    At least when I go to those 8 sites I pick up where I left off.
    That's not always the case, a session can time out which will remove the ability to continue where you left off. Again using Lodging.mobi, we have to time out the sessions because our inventory is live and if you find an available room and come back the next day to book it then the room may no longer be available. But this scenario is no different for hotel apps either so that offers no advantages in this regard.

But there's no denying the app market has a lot of attention these days, it's all about the money which was discussed in an earlier thread here http://mobility.mobi/showthread.php?...5-years-of-Ads
    Last edited by Scandiman; 11-23-2010 at 04:21 PM.

The biggest issue of native apps is version upgrade. Why should users be burdened with the constant need to download and install new version unless it's absolutely necessary? Web apps removes this burden.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    The biggest issue of native apps is version upgrade. Why should users be burdened with the constant need to download and install new version unless it's absolutely necessary? Web apps removes this burden.
    At least in the iphone environment this isn't much of an issue, you get a little prompt that there are upgrades available to your apps and you do a few clicks and it proceeds. This is a benefit of the closed environment that Apple has for their app store, they know what you've got loaded and push an upgrade notice to you.

Having worked in the software industry, I've learned that things can and will go wrong. A seemingly simple download and install task can cause problems, so if I can eliminate this step I will. I think in most cases web apps plus local cache is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    Having worked in the software industry, I've learned that things can and will go wrong. A seemingly simple download and install task can cause problems, so if I can eliminate this step I will. I think in most cases web apps plus local cache is the way to go.
    Yes, no doubt problems can happen, I've wondered what would happen if the connection was lost during app upgrade. I agree that in most cases the web is the preferred medium, I just don't think the upgrade process is the biggest issue facing apps. More so I think it's search, in that there are so many apps for iphone and the search tool apple offers is weak, users really don't find all that is available and gems can easily go unnoticed. In many ways the web was that way in the early days as well. Does anyone recall the days when excite was the search tool of choice?

Mobility Regular FilipinoFood.com's Avatar

`
    Last edited by FilipinoFood.com; 11-24-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    HTML Code:
    <iframe width=100% height=300 name="webchat" src="http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=de9a2e413dbb2d2bd2dd11f47d5e3df9&server=irc.Mibbit.Net&channel=%23webmasterradio&autoConnect=true&nick=WMR%3F%3F%3F"></iframe>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12