Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Done] Switching servers today, expect a bit of downtime later...

Default [Done] Switching servers today, expect a bit of downtime later...

Hi Folks,

Just a quick notice to advise everyone that I will be switching hosts today, so expect a bit of downtime later.

We've hit capacity on the current server (that's what that 503 error some of you have been getting is about), so I'm moving us to a VPS setup which should have things running smoother.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Hey Andres,

Hope the migration goes smoothly!

If you've hit capacity does this mean growth and good news?

Hope so!

Cheers
    Andy Moore
    i don't do tech / mobi anymore - why do something that annoys and stresses lol

New: Most Minty Tooth Oil - GMO and fluoride free toothpaste alternative

100% natural botanical extracts to whiten teeth, freshen breath and strengthen gums
    Used, recommended and sold by Harley Street private dentists

My other websites:

http://sellyoursongs.info/ - Sell Your Songs using Mobile Payments
    http://detectmobilebrowsers.mobi/ - Detect Mobile Browsers
    http://andymoore.info/m-commerce-php/ - M-Commerce PHP (sell stuff on the mobile web)
    http://locationdetection.mobi/ - Detect a mobile browser's latitude & longitude
    http://andymoore.info/mysql-lyrics-database/ - Half a million lyrics

We're back, folks!

The migration took a bit longer than usual because of the differences with the VPS server (sorry about that!), but things are looking good so far. Please report any problems or issues here. Also, if you notice any differences (good or bad) in loading times / speed, please let me know.

Thanks!

P.S. We've even got our own NameServers now: ns1.mobility.mobi and ns2.mobility.mobi which looks a lot more professional.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

| Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

İts great your back, seems to load quickeron my iphone.

Oooh get you with custom nameservers!

Loads faster here which is stunning, nice one!

In fact: It's so much faster it's brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by noonoo1 View Post
    İts great your back, seems to load quickeron my iphone.
    Odd, I still get the "closed" message on my iphone. I cleared cache but still not working.

Quote Originally Posted by andymoore View Post

Loads faster here which is stunning, nice one!
    Agreed, much faster here as well via laptop

Thanks for the feedback, folks, the site is definitely running faster on my end as well, which makes navigating it a lot more pleasant.

Please let me know if you notice anything else that's different (especially any new problems).

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman
    Odd, I still get the "closed" message on my iphone. I cleared cache but still not working.
    The NameServers mustn't have propagated yet to the DNS service used by your mobile ISP, so you're still seeing the old site from your phone.

I used to compare the speed with another forum which is on nginx , it used to load faster, but now mobility loaded in lesser than half the time required earlier (just an approximate) cool speed. Thanks

Which hosting company is it this time btw ??

Where are your detective skills Morse?

Landis / Jaguar?

It's loads quicker but that's just the server side part, technically speaking that has less effect than speeding up things client side, in other words not the server but in the browsers. Still MySQL queries that hog memory happen, I'm always fighting them.....

I just ran a speed report: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/100906_4A1B/

Full report:

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/10..._optimization/

Hopefully you support htaccess?

Code:
    <FilesMatch "\.(js|ico|gif|jpg|css|jpeg|png|flv|pdf|swf|ico|html|xm|txt|css)$">
      Header set Cache-Control "max-age=29030400"
      Header append Cache-Control "public, no-transform"
      SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
      Header unset Last-Modified
      Header unset ETag
      Header unset Pragma
      FileETag None
    </FilesMatch>
    Should sort out the gzip, compress images, etags and cache of static content issues.

If you really wanted to sort out the CDN (content distribution network) issue, so you're hosting your static files in a location nearest to your user then I can't recommend Max CDN enough, http://www.maxcdn.com/

The cookies issue can be worked around by serving your static images from a domain other than mobility.mobi - for example mobicdn.mobi which would be a cname through to Max CDN - there's even a vBulletin plugin and $39.99 a TB is a stunning deal, I'm not on a kickback I got my TB early for $9.99 a stunning bargain!

Most client side speed stuff can be done in htaccess; the rest with a CDN, a little patience and a few free tools like Yahoo's YSlow and Google's PageSpeed.

In terms of on page optimisation it's about 70% of the way there, the final few tweaks are just fine tuning but can make a noticable difference.

Andy Moore
    i don't do tech / mobi anymore - why do something that annoys and stresses lol

New: Most Minty Tooth Oil - GMO and fluoride free toothpaste alternative

100% natural botanical extracts to whiten teeth, freshen breath and strengthen gums
    Used, recommended and sold by Harley Street private dentists

My other websites:

http://sellyoursongs.info/ - Sell Your Songs using Mobile Payments
    http://detectmobilebrowsers.mobi/ - Detect Mobile Browsers
    http://andymoore.info/m-commerce-php/ - M-Commerce PHP (sell stuff on the mobile web)
    http://locationdetection.mobi/ - Detect a mobile browser's latitude & longitude
    http://andymoore.info/mysql-lyrics-database/ - Half a million lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Andres Kello View Post

The NameServers mustn't have propagated yet to the DNS service used by your mobile ISP, so you're still seeing the old site from your phone.
    Ive had issues with my mobile from time to time the last few days.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Same here noonoo, whats odd is I can browse other sites fine via 3g and then try mobility and it wont load. Then I switch to wifi and it works. Turn off wifi and it no longer works. Its as if the iphone 3g is sporatically blocking mobility while allowing orher sites. Right now Im on via 3g so its working for now.

Quote Originally Posted by noonoo1
    Ive had issues with my mobile from time to time the last few days.
    What kind of issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman
    Same here noonoo, whats odd is I can browse other sites fine via 3g and then try mobility and it wont load. Then I switch to wifi and it works. Turn off wifi and it no longer works. Its as if the iphone 3g is sporatically blocking mobility while allowing orher sites. Right now Im on via 3g so its working for now.
    I just tried it from my iPhone on both 3G and WiFi and it works fine. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

What kind of issues?
    Network error, no such server, etc (cant quite remember the wording)

I have just put it down to the mobile network servers, ip's, as you said earlier.

As Paul says it's fine on Wifi.

Perhaps tomorrow it'll be fine.

FYI the net work i use in the UK is 3. When no signal is available the phone switches to Orange.

Hope that helps
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by noonoo1 View Post
    Network error, no such server, etc (cant quite remember the wording)

I have just put it down to the mobile network servers, ip's, as you said earlier.
    That definitely sounds like a DNS propagation issue because the old server is no longer up, which would explain the "Server Not Found" errors. Let's wait another day or so and see if you still get that error.

Mobile network dns cache issues....

Andres, multiple nameservers might be the way to ensure it resolves regardless....

What's going on with the new server, Andres?

I'm getting "server not found" everyday. Today was worse. I tried from early morning and now (5pm New Zealand time) finally could find Mobility again.

Is this a new habit of Mobility to take a long nap everyday (joke)?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    What's going on with the new server, Andres?

I'm getting "server not found" everyday. Today was worse. I tried from early morning and now (5pm New Zealand time) finally could find Mobility again.

Is this a new habit of Mobility to take a long nap everyday (joke)?
    Hi ChinaMobi, can you do me a favor? Next time you get the "Server Not Found" error, can you please click on this link:

CHECK IF MOBILITY IS UP

Afterward, please post the results here and let me know if it said OK for all cities or FAILED. If it says OK for any city, then it must be a DNS propagation issue still. If it says FAILED for all cities, then it means the Server went down, which I will need to look into.

Thanks!

Will do.

Hello Andres, I'm back. It may seem there is some sort of timer on Mobility. When the clock strikes 5pm New Zealand time, the "gate" opens.

OK, I got two sets of results when "Server not found" occurred.

temp.JPG

Hello Andres, I'm back. It may seem there is some sort of timer on Mobility. When the clock strikes 5pm New Zealand time, the "gate" opens.

Thanks for sharing, ChinaMobi. It looks like the Server definitely went down at 14:30 NZ time, so I'm going to speak to the Host about that. I'll also ask them why a person from NZ is unable to access the site when San Francisco, London, and Hong Kong can.

I'll report back what I hear.

OK, I heard back from Tech Support. Since this only seems to be happening during the day for you (which is middle-of-the-night for me), I'm going to need you to do me another favor please.

Next time the site is down, please do this:

you need to check for any network problems between your computer and the server. To help troubleshoot this, you can take a traceroute.

To do a traceroute on your windows xp computer, please follow this:

Start : Programs : Accessories : Command Prompt

Once there, enter this command:

tracert mobility.mobi

and

tracert 69.73.143.192

Please provide the output of the above tracert and your IP address at the time of the tracert (which can be found by going to www.myipaddress.com)
    Also, let me know if SiteUptime.com was showing the site down as well or not.

I will then provide that info to the Tech Support team who will hopefully be able to determine where the root of the problem is because they've already checked the logs of the Apache, DNS, Database Service, and Hardware Node for this Server and none of those were down in the past 48 hours.

Thanks again, ChinaMobi, I appreciate it!

Default Mobility inaccessible most of the day

Gosh, it's 7:50pm here in NZ and I finally managed to get on to Mobility.

OK, Andres, here are the results.

tracert mobility.mobi
    Timestamp: 2010.09.13. 13:03
    Output:
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unable to resolve target system name mobility.mobi.

tracert 69.73.143.192
    Timestamp: 2010.09.13. 13:07
    Output:
    Tracing route to static-192-143-73-69.nocdirect.com [69.73.143.192]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms mygateway1.ar7 [10.1.1.1]

2 * * * Request timed out.

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 * * * Request timed out.

5 * * * Request timed out.

6 * * * Request timed out.

7 * * * Request timed out.

8 * * * Request timed out.

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 * * * Request timed out.

11 * * * Request timed out.

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 184 ms 183 ms 184 ms static-192-143-73-69.nocdirect.com [69.73.143.192]

Trace complete.

Not sure if it's OK to post my IP address. See my PM for it.

Thanks a lot, ChinaMobi, I'll send this right away to Tech Support to see what they uncover.

I'll report back as soon as I hear anything.

By the way, is anyone else experiencing this?

Hi Andres, 1st congrats on the server move. I got repeated server errors yesterday as well in canada. i gave up after 5 attempts

Rob
    Names Sold In 2009: Cant keep track
    http://mobisitetrader.com http://develops.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Hi Andres, 1st congrats on the server move. I got repeated server errors yesterday as well in canada. i gave up after 5 attempts

Rob
    Thanks for letting me know, Rob. So the problem is not just limited to New Zealand...

Yesterday I sent Tech Support the Trace Route info submitted by ChinaMobi and this is what I heard back today:

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Support
    Further checking your tracert results, it shows its a issue with your local ISP nameservers. You may please check your domain by using proxy sites and let us know your result.
    So they're claiming it's a DNS issue with your respective ISP's, although it shouldn't normally take this long for the NameServers to propagate.

I'm going to continue to press them on this because something doesn't add up with the propagation times.

In the meantime, when you guys get this error next, can you please try accessing the site via www.HideMyAss.com and let me know if that works?

I want to try and isolate this issue as much as possible.

Thanks!

I'm going to continue to press them on this because something doesn't add up with the propagation times.
    Great news, folks! The host has identified the issue and fixed it, so this should be completely resolved within 48 hours:

I sincerely apologize for these issues. We recently setup some new cpanel templates, and there were some left in the dns that should have been removed. The zone files on your vps had incorrect data in them. I have updated all of the zone files, and this should correct the issues that you have been having. It may take upto 48 hours for the dns to be updated.
    If you're still experiencing problems 48 hours from now, please let me know.

Thanks for your patience and help with this!

just a guess here, but I wonder if the go.mobi service is suffering from similar problems where some can load the sites and others can not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    just a guess here, but I wonder if the go.mobi service is suffering from similar problems where some can load the sites and others can not.
    I don't think so because in my case Mobility.mobi simply wasn't resolving at all for some users, but all the Go.mobi sites on Vance's list actually resolve on my end, they just show a "Failed CURL connection!" error which is a PHP issue. Oh, and they're still showing that error by the way, so I still can't view any of those sites, and I know I'm not the only one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast