Thread: Original .mobi backers now giving up on the extension as well...

Default Original .mobi backers now giving up on the extension as well...

Now that they don't have to artificially support .mobi anymore since they've offloaded the company, the original backers are starting to give up on the extension as well.

Remember this, this, and this ?

Now look at this: Ericsson.mobi

Even sadder when seen through mTLD's own eyes: http://mobithinking.com/corporate-sites/ericssonmobi

A real pity for a .mobi that used to be included in every single Press Release for one of the world's largest telecommunications companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsson.mobi

This page no longer exists

Click here for Ericsson's mobile site
    ...which links you to their ericsson.com/m mobile site.

I wish it ended there, but do you guys remember this and this ?

Now look at this: SamsungMobile.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by SamsungMobile.mobi
    Server not found
    ...that party is now exclusively over at m.samsungmobile.com.

That's two of the world's largest companies that helped launch .mobi and have now abandoned it. Keep the above in mind when going over next month's landrush renewal bill. If the extension isn't good enough for those who launched it, is it still good enough for you to speculate in?
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

That convinces me even more the importance of focusing on cashflow not capital gain obtained from flipping .mobi.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres Kello View Post
    Even sadder when seen through mTLD's own eyes: http://mobithinking.com/corporate-sites/ericssonmobi
    That one is actually kind of funny ..They really need to monitor their showcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    That one is actually kind of funny ..They really need to monitor their showcase.
    I don't get it, Scandiman. Where's the funny part?

They really need to monitor their showcase.
    There have been problems there for some time, and they know it and do nothing about it. The site has always displayed the PC versions of mobile sites in little mobile phone screens, creating a terrible effect. There is insufficient contrast in some of their site's text, and they never seem to add new sites, including submitted ones. RIP.

Corporate world moves in only where the developer world thrives.. its quite funny that the original backers dump their own mobis, but then again why should they invest time on the mobi (when its not even mobile centric) ?? Makes it two sites instead of one.

China, its the irony, showcasing a mobi that no longer exists. As gogo is pointing out here and others (including myself) have pointed out before, there's other serious problems with the showcase but no one at mtld made it a priority to fix it which unfortunately makes the showcase lose credibility and relevancy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    That convinces me even more the importance of focusing on cashflow not capital gain obtained from flipping .mobi.
    It's incredibly hard to get a speculator to change focus to development, two completely different mentalities and skill sets. Rather they will change TLDs which some will likely decide in light of this news of the backers and the overall .mobi malaise in the domainer world. And with all the new TLDs coming our way there will be plenty of options for people to consider making the fast buck on.

A healthy ascent for .mobi from this point on will be dependent on cash flow. Owner/developers ask a very simple question, If you can't earn money from it why own it?

This is very sad news, but then again, I can't blame them. In my opinion, a company looses much credibility and trust when its sold off. .mobi was on a downward slide even before it was sold.

I've been shrinking my .mobi portfolio for awhile now. I'm only keeping names that match a few catetorgies and some killer adult names. I have a bunch that are coming up for renewal here in Dec and there's no way I will renew half of them, atleast not for the $15 renewal that they want (or whatever it is).

I do have to think that if the extension ever did take off in the beginning, I wouldn't have half the names that I do now. There's still room for developing your category killer names and making a few pennies here and there. People still don't realize that you can get some really great names for next to nothing prices. Bottome line, if your hoping to flip the names instead of developing then you better pick a different extension.

A healthy ascent for .mobi from this point on will be dependent on cash flow. Owner/developers ask a very simple question, If you can't earn money from it why own it?
    Well said, Scandiman.