Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: .mobi Registration Trends

Nash, I agree that the technology is advancing as it always does, we all understand mobile web is growing. The question is how does this specifically benefit the .mobi extension? One aspect in .mobi's favor is the intended userbase is growing, but if .mobi's marketshare isn't increasing as well then it's not keeping pace. Regarding your link about FT, its been discused here already http://mobility.mobi/showthread.php?...at-never-was./ but to rehash, the mobile web will advance with or without .mobi, and FT is dumping apps in favor of the web and has also chosen an alternative to .mobi to deliver that experience to their users. So while mobile web won, .mobi lost a little more ground in the process

Hi everyone,
    I imagine that if more mobile content is reached through web based sites instead of apps, are good news for .mobi. All this new mobile content will need an address ( domain name) if do not use an app to access the content, and some of this new mobile content providers will choose .mobi, at least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by worldonmobile View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I imagine that if more mobile content is reached through web based sites instead of apps, are good news for .mobi. All this new mobile content will need an address ( domain name) if do not use an app to access the content, and some of this new mobile content providers will choose .mobi, at least I hope so.
    Right, and in the United States, the overwhelming answer is put a subdomain on your existing domain name with just the letter "m" meaning m.whatever.com.

Some companies are using their .mobi domain names as a clean URL to redirect to those sites. I am not seeing a lot of .mobi sites advertised.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a .mobi fan, but you'd have to be blind not to notice how far we *haven't* come.
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

HosterStats still does not have the numbers on .mobi added and deleted. Is the information available somewhere else?

Still increasing,

1,061,555 for October 1st 2011
    Apologies, wrong month.
    Last edited by noonoo1; 11-01-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Sharp drop on Nov 1, to 1,005,781, first time in many months. Need to see the breakdown which is not available yet.

Since new registrations in the past months this year are over 25,000/month, .mobi deleted in October may be about 90,000 or 3,000/day. That's not what I saw everyday in October. On the contrary, I saw many days with drops less than 600. Not even once did I see drops over 1,000 in a day.

I was forecasting the total drop in October to be less than 20,000. Therefore, the reported figure is a big surprise to me. What am I missing in my calculation?
    Last edited by ChinaMobi; 11-02-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added more content, and more explanation

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    I was forecasting the total drop in October to be less than 20,000. Therefore, the reported figure is a big surprise to me. What am I missing in my calculation?
    I ask the same question to myself. My drop number for October is also about 20k, which is following the trend of the current year and must be reduced by new regs, who even should count higher than 20k (see trend). Thus there should be a net increase of regged mobis.

Still waiting for the detailed numbers at HosterStats. Maybe they can explain, or a deputy of mTLD feels refered to clarify here.

Abo Apo are Arena ars Benzin Bestellung Bett Cargo Champ Charger Deko descargas Devisen Dirndl Druck Elektro Ferienhaus Galeria Goud heiss Horoscopo ICT inline Jantes Jobboerse Joias Jury Kombi Kreuzfahrt Lichtmit Mobilfunk Moveis Nails Olio Onlinekredit Parfuem pep Pisa Polizei pronto Schlagzeilen Servicio SocialMediaMarketing Spielzeug StockExchange Styling tellTerminal TFT tire Transporter Vaticano viajar vivre was wau Wein wer Zahnarzt Zeit Zubehoer

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    I don't know. I expected the bulge in drops to be in November/December/January. Maybe the domains drop faster now, or a lot of the preregistered TM domains are dropping, or something else is happening - maybe less free mobis are being given away as special offers. I don't see any reason for mobi registrations to go up - can anyone see a real world reason for them to go up?

But after five years of non-performance it makes sense for many people to drop .mobi, it is not a success for domainers and the whole idea of a separate domain for mobile content has been tried and not succeeded. I don't see it having a second chance, especially as more attractive and memorable extensions become available and are actually used for creating standalone sites.

BTW on the Mobithinking.com site I see a box advert trying to get people interested in applying for a premium mobi, possibly even a free one. The last premium auction in November 2008 bombed, with reserves having to be cancelled and domains selling for $xx. By contrast, .me auctions are still happening and going well. .Me registrations this year are up by say 27%, mobi up by 4.5%.

I was only asking why my daily observation in October did not match with the monthly drops in October. Could it be that many .mobis are dropped without being released to the public? Or name.com's .mobi drop list is simply not the whole list?

Mobi registrations at 1st Jan 2012: 1,011,381

http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2012.php

Registrations as of 1 Feb 2012: 1,019,923

Detailed breakdown for 2012 is not available yet. I'd like to know how many new registrations are added.

Registrations at 1 March 2012 1,033,461

increase of about 1.3% over the previous month.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    Registrations at 1 March 2012 1,033,461

increase of about 1.3% over the previous month.

April 1: 1,043,756

May 1: 1,035,600

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    April 1: 1,043,756

May 1: 1,035,600
    1 June: 1,043,405

1 July: 1,025,861

1 August: 1,025,797

With the large drops early this month so far, the next number won't be good either.

Founding Member

i dunno - sorta surprised how the numbers haven't been fluctuating really.. number of registrations hasn't been growing at all but i see stuff continues to get re-registered

Total drops from Aug 1 to Aug 4 is already 22k, compared with 25k for the whole month of July. Based on this observation, unless there's a sudden jump in registrations, I think the next figure may be even lower.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234