Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .mobi Registration Trends

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    Some friends have been telling me about some billboards around here as well.
    I see this one TV here in the Austin area quite a bit: http://GetaMazda.mobi
    C.T. Kirkpatrick
    Austin Texas
    Akron.mobi

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by keithmt View Post
    Well I was going to reg a mobi I just dropped until I got hit with a $18 price tag at godaddy. Perhaps I'll shop around!
    Mobi is $9.95 on sale at Dynadot.com. I just started using them about 6 months ago for some Mobi and Dot Mx regs..
    C.T. Kirkpatrick
    Austin Texas
    Akron.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by think View Post
    Mobi is $9.95 on sale at Dynadot.com. I just started using them about 6 months ago for some Mobi and Dot Mx regs..
    Thanks. Also $8.99 at name.com.

Just re-registered tvt as I realized I had credit at Name

I've dropped 1,000's of the little bleeders.... and it's been cathartic letting them go ;-)

I genuinely place more value in my .co domains than I do my dotmobi's..... such is life, we had a good go at it but it wasn't to be..... (at least, as far as the 'speculation' side of things goes.... I remain sure that any great website can be a success on dotmobi as it could any other extension... but I agree that most dotmobis were purely speculative plays)

Quote Originally Posted by newdomainer View Post
    but I agree that most dotmobis were purely speculative plays)
    I also think so. I look at .mobi names everyday and only see many great names parked.

Quote Originally Posted by keithmt View Post
    Well I was going to reg a mobi I just dropped until I got hit with a $18 price tag at godaddy. Perhaps I'll shop around!
    Is it temporary? Do you think competition and lack of interest in .mobi will force Godaddy to lower the price again?

Quote Originally Posted by think View Post
    I see this one TV here in the Austin area quite a bit: http://GetaMazda.mobi
    Love the tld, hate the car

I've dropped 1,000's of the little bleeders.... and it's been cathartic letting them go ;-)

I genuinely place more value in my .co domains than I do my dotmobi's..... such is life, we had a good go at it but it wasn't to be..... (at least, as far as the 'speculation' side of things goes.... I remain sure that any great website can be a success on dotmobi as it could any other extension... but I agree that most dotmobis were purely speculative plays)
    I could have cried when I saw your collection drop.

May I ask you why you did invest in another speculative TLD and if you have been more successful right now?

Abo Apo are Arena ars Benzin Bestellung Bett Cargo Champ Charger Deko descargas Devisen Dirndl Druck Elektro Ferienhaus Galeria Goud heiss Horoscopo ICT inline Jantes Jobboerse Joias Jury Kombi Kreuzfahrt Lichtmit Mobilfunk Moveis Nails Olio Onlinekredit Parfuem pep Pisa Polizei pronto Schlagzeilen Servicio SocialMediaMarketing Spielzeug StockExchange Styling tellTerminal TFT tire Transporter Vaticano viajar vivre was wau Wein wer Zahnarzt Zeit Zubehoer

I've dropped 1,000's of the little bleeders....
    Many people have posted often about the merits of quality before quantity. Even if budget weren't a factor I'd still be hard pressed to build a list of 2000 mobi's I'd want to own, and many of those are still in the possession of mTLD.

I genuinely place more value in my .co domains than I do my dotmobi's.....
    will the market agree in 3 years? If your game is pure speculation then I'd suggest learning lessons from mjnels.

I remain sure that any great website can be a success on dotmobi as it could any other extension... but I agree that most dotmobis were purely speculative plays)
    Sort of begs the question why not take just one of those thousands of domains to make one great website.

1,000 domains x $10 reg fee -vs- 1 domain x $10,000 in development. I understand that domain speculation has its own business model but why is the first option so much more appealing when the initial investment is the same yet recurring cost is about 1000x more expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    Is it temporary? Do you think competition and lack of interest in .mobi will force Godaddy to lower the price again?
    Interesting stats are published right now: Top 10 .Mobi Registrars and What It Says About New TLDs

... Go Daddy. The domain registrar manages 49% of the total base of .mobi. This is in line with the registrar’s claim that it registers about half of all new domain names, since .mobi is a relatively new domain. Go Daddy did a lot to push .mobi and was key to its initial success. Yet consider how much power Go Daddy now has over .Mobi. It can literally strangle it by increasing renewal costs. Yes, it would be shooting itself in the foot and people could transfer their domains. But it still means the company brings a lot to the bargaining table when it comes to ensuring high renewal rates and the long term success of .mobi.

Abo Apo are Arena ars Benzin Bestellung Bett Cargo Champ Charger Deko descargas Devisen Dirndl Druck Elektro Ferienhaus Galeria Goud heiss Horoscopo ICT inline Jantes Jobboerse Joias Jury Kombi Kreuzfahrt Lichtmit Mobilfunk Moveis Nails Olio Onlinekredit Parfuem pep Pisa Polizei pronto Schlagzeilen Servicio SocialMediaMarketing Spielzeug StockExchange Styling tellTerminal TFT tire Transporter Vaticano viajar vivre was wau Wein wer Zahnarzt Zeit Zubehoer

blitzpotz,

Thanks for info. Very interesting info. So GD has about 50% of all .mobi registration! Raising the registration fee above even .com may dampen domainers' interest in acquiring more .mobi. Let's hope this will cause more .mobi names to be available so small guys like me have less competition to pick up good names.

@ Scandi, horses for courses..... development just wasn't my thing at the time and to be honest, one can spend 1,000's of hours developing a site and earn not a single red cent from it.... I guess the time was worth more to me than the money.

@ Blitz, It was hard letting go initially but as Andres has often said; when you get the number of enquiries for your domains that we did, letting go becomes a no-brainer.
    I don't own any domains anymore but the company I work for now has a handful of .co domains of which most will be developed for the business, I believe that .co is a better bet than .mobi for the development of a normal business website.

Funny thing is, despite the mobi fever speculation I bought into, I don't even buy lottery tickets... I guess I wholeheartedly believed in .mobi at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    blitzpotz,

Thanks for info. Very interesting info. So GD has about 50% of all .mobi registration! Raising the registration fee above even .com may dampen domainers' interest in acquiring more .mobi. Let's hope this will cause more .mobi names to be available so small guys like me have less competition to pick up good names.
    It may be a bargaining ploy to force MTLD/Dotmobi/Afilias to cut the wholesale price. Or it may be indirectly about helping .info which is a huge success story for Afilias.

Or it may be temporary to then let GD offer .mobi domains for alleged half price later. Prices do vary at GD.

But Godaddy have been know to dislike TLDs - they have sh*t upon .tv in the past.

Funny thing is, despite the mobi fever speculation I bought into, I don't even buy lottery tickets... I guess I wholeheartedly believed in .mobi at the time.
    Originally a reasonable case was presented for .mobi by really big name companies, and the domain was to have several verifiable benefits. So buying the domains was still speculative, but there were to be verifiable features, such as doing better in mobiles seach - a huge advantage. The big names and the verifiable features/benefits are gone now, so all that is left is a name, a four letter word. The situation changed.

I genuinely place more value in my .co domains than I do my dotmobi's.....
    I don't own any domains anymore...
    Whatever it is you're working on now I wish you all the best with it.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 04-06-2011 at 04:30 PM.

The latest hosterstats when publihed should show mobi hitting 1 million, discussed in another thread http://mobility.mobi/showthread.php?...on-Domain-Mark

That means an increase of about 15000 over the month of April 2011.

http://www.hosterstats.com/Detailed-...stics-2011.php

Pred

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    The latest hosterstats when publihed should show mobi hitting 1 million, discussed in another thread http://mobility.mobi/showthread.php?...on-Domain-Mark

That means an increase of about 15000 over the month of April 2011.

http://www.hosterstats.com/Detailed-...stics-2011.php
    it's kind of double whammy, with less deleted and more regged each month

be very interesting to see if this trend continues

also, at the big junk drop at the end of each year. did less drop this year than year before?

we really need a LLL.mobi countdown thread to invigorate regges

Quote Originally Posted by Pred View Post

be very interesting to see if this trend continues
    June 1 count: 1011182 mobis

1 011 182 - 1 001 777 = 9 405 net increase in May

http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2011.php

Also interesting is the trend in .me registrations this year

433,428 450,228 465,905 479,818 497,625

and com, net, org

.com 91,520,197 92,280,220 93,171,375 93,990,682 94,549,028 95,133,216 0 0 0 0 0 0
    .net 13,563,109 13,649,207 13,749,631 13,831,906 13,880,854 13,947,438 0 0 0 0 0 0
    .org 8,765,919 8,898,998 9,003,560 9,094,709 9,150,793 9,204,704

and .fr

1,887,914 1,911,093 1,936,595 1,966,919 2,010,374 2,035,745

and info and biz

.biz 2,048,671 2,060,233 2,077,106 2,082,949 2,087,048 2,093,338 0 0 0 0 0 0
    .info 7,270,845 7,409,242 7,517,145 7,659,031 7,725,806 7,821,036
    Last edited by gogo; 06-01-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: add extensions

This is a recurring thread on .mobi registration trends, so I've renamed it accordingly and "stuck" it.

Nice to see we passed a million active registrations, although it would be even nicer if we saw that growing demand reflected in secondary market prices.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Pred

Thumbs up

cheers for stats GoGo

Nice bump in net registrations in June >> approx. +28,000

Wonder if GoMobi has anything to do with it.

Total .mobi registrations as of date shown:
    962,989 - Jan 1
    965,694 - Feb 1 = +3,000 from Jan 1
    972,943 - Mar 1 = + 7,000 from Feb 1
    984,650 - Apr1 = + 8,000 from Mar 1
    1,001,777 - May 1 = + 17,000 from Apr 1
    1,011,182 - Jun 1 = + 10,000 from May 1
    1,039,443 - Jul 1 = + 28,000 from Jun 1

Thats great news Acc!
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Pred

nice
    going in right direction

i'll be happier when mobi is on same levels as eu
    launched same year and eu is on 3.4 million
    http://www.eurid.eu/

Again, dotmobi going in the right direction ---->

1,045,815 as of the 1st of August 2011

Courtesy of http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2011.php

Up over 6,000 registrations
    ENOUGH SAID

Certainly happy with the progress but I see the utter junk that drops everyday and wonder who is registering what to increase the count. More importantly though is what gets solid development.

Hi Scandi, I have thought that for a while. Who, what and why?
    I see the crap dropping, so I am assuming that companies who have there .com, .net, .org, cctld, etc are registering and using their .mobi's
    I'm certainly registering company .mobi's each time I'm building them a mobile site.

Yes, junks everywhere, but once in a while you find something interesting.

Again, dotmobi going in the right direction ---->

1,053,559 as of the 1st of September 2011

Courtesy of http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2011.php

Up over 7,744 registrations
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobility Member

Andres,

A while back I sent a message about why .mobi was spinning its wheels for the past 5 years. My reasonnig was that the tools (infrastructure) to build the sites were not powerful enough to match the apps. And I mentioned the fact that hype can take you so far. The apps were giving users better performance than what the mobile web. The .mobi concept is great but it was slightly ahead of its time.

But now is that time. The infrastructure is ready for supporting the marketing of .mobi. The past 5 years are not an indication of the greatness of .mobi. Unfortunately, most people want an answer and blame too quickly. Read on this article in in depth. HTML5 is key. It only began now. So start assessing success and failure from this point on. And time is still needed for the wheels to start turning.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20...?tag=cnetRiver

this is an important article.
    This is only my sense of how I see things. From someone who spent 20 years in software development and very up to date on technology.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast