Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The mobile phone is your next computer

Default The mobile phone is your next computer

This video shows the direction of mobile phones: Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Add an HDMI port and you'll have a nice PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y8mFGgdF-s

Warning: the video and sound are terrible, but the illustration is unmistakable.

wow, i cant imagine a computer CPU the size of a mobile phone... hahaha

guess its all about 'mobility' ...
    thanks for the post..

Mobility Member

I can already do many of my work tasks from my iphone so I can see where this trend is going

Yes, Sarah. It's funny this powerful device in your hand is still called a mobile phone. The fact is, it's actually a super computer which happens to have a little function called phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    Yes, Sarah. It's funny this powerful device in your hand is still called a mobile phone. The fact is, it's actually a super computer which happens to have a little function called phone.
    Ironic that probably one of the worst features of my iphone is the phone, it doesnt like certain bluetooth devices that prefer and my call quality has gone down since switching from my nokia n95. The rest of it however is a huge improvement.

I just tried and it worked.

One lady I know uses blue tooth quite a bit. The only problem is that I can't understand her b/c of the noise and static on the line.

ChinaMobi, what a smart observation about the mobile phones.
    I even asked Verizon Wireless to get an MiFi so I can get the internet from the smart phone into my computer. I was trying to see if I could get rid of my internet subscription from home. Problem is I'm limited to 10GB and each additional 1 GB =$10.00

Plus, if the cell phone reception cuts off b/c of planes flying above your house... well then internet service is interrupted.

I'm sure with some time, the packages and phones will get better. This is an exciting trend we're seeing though.

Hi limomobi. It's a trend already -- to be able to connect your PC to the Internet via your mobile phone. One problem is the price. My landline broadband is still much cheaper than the mobile broadband, so it'll take a while before I can cut off my landline. I think in just a couple of years the average consumers will not be buying a desktop or even a laptop. Their mobile phone placed on a cradle connected to display, keyboard, and mouse will be their computer.

Yes, that sounds great ChinaMobi. I went to the VerizonWireless store last week to do this. But it cost $80 for just 10GB of data on Mifi with $10 for each additional 1GB. I was trying to see if I could get a smart phone and iPad. Price it out and try to sort out all the confusing gadgets.

Also, my cellphone signals at my house are shaky. Depending on which room, my phone calls will cut off. I have to move to certain rooms to get reliable service. Knowing I don't want to lose my internet connections with such shaky cell phone connections, I'm sticking to my landline internet connection at about $48 a month for unlimited data usage for now.

LOL.... I even asked the Verizon lady if there was some sort of rabbit ears for my cell phone to get better reception and not lose calls. She said no. There is nothing one can do about it. However, I remember you can buy a gadget for about $150 to give you better cell phone reception. It is some box to help with the problem of cell phones losing reception. I'll ask the sales person again. That information was given to be over 1 year ago. Now I see a need to it if I want to make my smart phone the base of all my internet connection.

So many gadgets. This is why I haven't committed to getting one yet. I keep thinking next month a new gadget will come out better than what I just got. Too many choices out there. Plus Verizon Wireless doesn't sell iphones. I'm waiting for them to.

Thing 1 + 2's friends (brothers) have both a MAC laptop, and an iPad. So Thing 1 and Thing 2 were loving Apple and the games. I could see how fun an iphone + ipad could be on a road trip. Free babysitting!

LOL.... I even asked the Verizon lady if there was some sort of rabbit ears for my cell phone to get better
    Not rabbit ears. You need to get a giraffe. That should do.

I use my iPhone for internet/email 99% of the time. Take this post for example, I have quick access to my PC or iPad but I'm choosing to post from my phone.

For me the time has come when my phone is my computer. No need to wait for the future

You are the early adopters. For me, I still need to use my PC a lot because many tools I use are not available on my Android phone yet. It's just a matter of time when similar tools will be developed on mobile "phones".

Founding Member

i prefer not to use my phone/small screen device for internet unless i need to. i still use a desktop computer and dont even use a laptop on a regular basis.. only when im out of town.

More and more mobile phones will come with an HDMI port which you can connect to a HDMI-enabled display, so the screen size issue will be gone very soon.

Founding Member

More and more mobile phones will come with an HDMI port which you can connect to a HDMI-enabled display, so the screen size issue will be gone very soon.
    things like this will be good but there still will be the issue of CPU speed.. to be a true computer replacement they'll have to come very close to what people are used to in terms of speed.. hard drive size too.

That may be the case in the beginning, but at a certain stage the hardware specs will not be of much interest to the general public. I used to upgrade my PCs as soon as new Intel chip came out. However, in recent years, I've found myself not wanting the latest hardware. Even my Vista machine and Office 2003 are good enough. I only upgrade when my existing machine dies. So I figure the same pattern will occur in the mobile phone arena.

Founding Member

That may be the case in the beginning, but at a certain stage the hardware specs will not be of much interest to the general public. I used to upgrade my PCs as soon as new Intel chip came out. However, in recent years, I've found myself not wanting the latest hardware. Even my Vista machine and Office 2003 are good enough. I only upgrade when my existing machine dies. So I figure the same pattern will occur in the mobile phone arena.
    same with me.. once computers got around 2ghz i felt the need to stop upgrading... what i think will need to happen though is mobile devices match (or come pretty close to) the speeds people are used to... personally i cant tell the difference between a 2ghz and 2.5ghz computer so im sure the same pattern will happen with mobile

Quote Originally Posted by mjnels View Post
    i prefer not to use my phone/small screen device for internet unless i need to. i still use a desktop computer and dont even use a laptop on a regular basis.. only when im out of town.
    Don't even have a desktop here anymore, but I do plug my laptop into a large screen when I need to do a lot of graphics work. A laptop has plenty of power for the graphics work I do, it will be quite some time before a phone is capable of that, and the software is even available for the phone to do it. Speed of access and formatting dictates the times I use the laptop for internet vs the phone, still too much info has no mobile formatting and the zoom and scroll is a pain, and the big pages take too long to load. But places like banking, sports news, weather and of course mobility are now mostly visited via mobile since they are tailored for the small screen. As for email, I'm still mainly via laptop, with over 30 addresses and well over 1,000 inbound each week, it's a lot quicker via laptop.

Don't even have a desktop here anymore,
    Have not owned a desktop for many years. All computers in our home are laptops - five all together.

This one is impressive. Pairing an Apple keyboard with Android phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj9qC3oKcZU

Okay ChinaMobi. I got ya now.
    5 computers Ahem.... what happened to your rule of simplify? How are you going to wiggle out of this one.

Okay... okay, I'm guity with my 3 cell phones. My only excuse is that I usually lose 2 and need the other one to call the others.

I have ONE laptop only. I don't like all the clutter from all the wires, old computers, keyboards, etc... cluttering my space. So out they go. Every useless piece of electronic equipment is gone pronto.

I will say that my laptop started hurting my left shoulder b/c I was crunching my shoulders in to use the laptop keyboard. Now I have a wireless Microsoft ergonomic keyboard that I use with my laptop. It helps a lot.

I am considering getting an iPhone b/c I really like what Andy said about monitoring his place while he is gone from the house. I wonder if one can have the doorbell ring the iPhone so that I can answer from my cell phone as if I were home. In other words, if someone comes to my front door and rings my doorbell, my phone rings. Then I answer my phone and pretend I'm home and tell them to "go away." If there is not one like this, my friends here at mobility, please design one. I'm sure millions of household will buy it.

With my wireless home security alarm (ADT), I have a panic button to push, and then the police knows to show up at our house right away. So why couldn't the doorbell be wired the same? One push of the doorbell calls me at my cell phone. I don't believe anyone has made one yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I really see a need for this. More than some of the useless apps being marketed on the mobile smart phones.

Hmmm... with the surveillance from the iPhone, after spying the person on my doorsteps (without them calling me), is there a way I can call a special intercom and tell the person I'm not interested and to have a nice day all while I'm not home? Wouldn't that be nice.

YEAH! I'm excited about my mobile phone replacing my laptop. Sounds cool to me. Let it happen sooner than later. I can see myself just carrying my iPhone and my iPad. Two simple light gadgets that I can work from. I can't wait. 2 small gadgets. One small wire. Neat, compact, light, and efficient. Fits nicely into our purses. That is what women want. Not the messy super computer with the tons of wires that links equipment together to make one giant tripping messy eyesore.
    Last edited by limomobi; 11-16-2010 at 05:53 AM.

Ha Ha, you got me, @limomobi. Actually, most of them are old laptops. One is stored away as a collectible and another one is functioning as a music player in the living room. My wife uses one and I use two because my work requires two screens. I used to spend a lot of money on computers because of my work in IT.

ChinaMobi.... Ha Ha, indeed I got ya.

Oh you are good. "One as collectible." LOL Ha Ha Ha Ha. "One" as a music player. Two for yourself b/c you use 2 screens. Your excuses are really good. Notice, the word excuse.

Mr. Simplicity, I think you need a garage sale. Otherwise, what will you do with computer #5 when you get computer #6? I've got an Turn computer #5 into a security front door monitor/intercom. Yeah, that would work.

Now I'm out of ideas for computer #7 though.

I'm just kidding with you ChinaMobi. I couldn't resist teasing my friend

You are just like my dh who loves gadgets. Every time a gadget breaks, he is soooo happy. The next thing you know, he has already replaced it. He doesn't even have to take the time to compare products and prices. He has done that ahead of the time BEFORE the product breaks. Hmmm... a bit fishy come to think of it.

His watch broke. He wants another one. I told him he has his cell phone to tell the time. You should have seen the look in his eyes when I pinned him down my logical answer. He came up with, I like watches on my wrist. I'm used to them. I was inside b/c I knew there was no logical reason for a hand watch now. It's his love for gadgets. He just wants another gadget. That is all. I told him so too. He said, not true. He really is used to having a watch on his wrist. I told him it might give him carpel tunnel. Ha Ha... Now I'm the one who is exaggerating and he knows it. Will he get his watch? Probably. I'll probably be the sucker to give it to him on Christmas Day too.

In case anyone wants an expensive watch, if you're in Las Vegas, just go to the local pawn shops located on the outskirts of the strip. I picked up a Movado ($995 retail) for only $200. The watch looks brand new. They have expensive Rolex watches that go for fractions of the cost of a retail one. Even Caesar or Mirage Resorts will have days when they will sell their loot for dirt cheap prices.
    Last edited by limomobi; 11-16-2010 at 07:37 AM.

I tell you what, @limomobi, I actually enjoy being teased. I'm an easy going person and sometimes I go a bit too far to upset people. No, I'm still sticking to my simplicity principle. They are old laptops I bought in Japan. Thanks to the Japanese craftsmanship, they are still running. I won't upgrade until my main laptop dies.

Your dh is showing his age. I've given up my wrist watch and now depend solely on my Android phone, which also has the current weather info.

This tangent reminds me I do indeed have a desktop computer afterall, my original monochrome 128k Mac, kept in a box in the garage as a collectible. Solidarity CM

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    my original monochrome 128k Mac, kept in a box in the garage as a collectible. Solidarity CM
    We are all showing our age.

We are all showing our age.

ChinaMobi and Scandiman: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

I love the picture. White hair and the phone. LOL

ChinaMobi, I'm glad you are easy going. I'm glad you didn't mind being teased b/c I couldn't let the opportunity of Mr. Simplicity with 5 computers go easy.

Dh is also very easy going too. If he is in trouble, he just gives you a comic face and starts laughing. So he gets away with all his antics b/c I can't stay mad at him for long b/c he is so silly. It took me a few years to figure out his tactic. Even though I figured it out, one can't stay mad at him for long. Nope. He diffuses it with laughter. How can one stay mad at him when he is laughing at himself (his mistake)?

I'm going to tell him, he is looking younger today when he walks in the door. He'll love the compliment. He'll ask why I said so. I'll tell him he dumped his watch and is no longer looking his age. Ha Ha Ha Ha

Now I'm going to look around and see if the men in their 20's wear a watch anymore. Also, I'll look at the 30 - 80 year olds. It will be an interesting survey. I'll also see who who wears smart phones. I do believe you have a point about watches. I refuse to wear one b/c I don't think they are attractive. What will happen to Rolex and Movado when even younger generations replace the generations wearing watches? Maybe we should all buy stock options and bet against these 2 companies (if they are on the stock exchange).

I'm all for the phone being my computer and end all for everything.
    Last edited by limomobi; 11-17-2010 at 01:28 AM.

Mobility Regular FilipinoFood.com's Avatar

`
    Last edited by FilipinoFood.com; 11-20-2010 at 04:25 AM.
    HTML Code:
    <iframe width=100% height=300 name="webchat" src="http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=de9a2e413dbb2d2bd2dd11f47d5e3df9&server=irc.Mibbit.Net&channel=%23webmasterradio&autoConnect=true&nick=WMR%3F%3F%3F"></iframe>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast