Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The mobile phone is your next computer

At the recent Web 2.0 Summit 2010, Eric Schmidt talks about the next version of Android also acting as your digital wallet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKOWK...56CCF8&index=1

Your "phone" will be everything, perhaps except the kitchen sink.

Scandiman, dh wants to know where you did you get the picture. He laughed so hard it was contagious. So I had a 2nd bout of laughter too.

ChinaMobi, dh says the Japanese have cell phone watches. So we're showing our age by having cell phones. LOL ha ha ha. He's poking fun at us too. So when are you going to sport a cell phone watch - latest technology.
    Last edited by limomobi; 11-17-2010 at 08:24 AM.

When it comes to electronic gadgets, Japan (Korea too) is way ahead of us. In Japan, you can watch TV on your mobile phone while riding the subway. You can also use it as a digital wallet, which Google will be launching in the next version of Android.
    Last edited by ChinaMobi; 11-17-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Yes, so we'd better get those "latest" cell phone watches before we show our age. LOL

What is a digital wallet?
    Last edited by limomobi; 11-17-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by limomobi View Post
    Scandiman, dh wants to know where you did you get the picture. He laughed so hard it was contagious. So I had a 2nd bout of laughter too.
    Just something I stumbled upon on the web and share it from time to time. It's a classic image. What's funny is I actually had a phone like that when those were new, just a little thinner though. A friend of mine had the case phone similar to this one, since the antenna was off the phone they could boost the power output without cooking your head and those phones had incredible range.

Quote Originally Posted by limomobi View Post
    What is a digital wallet?
    Digital wallet = making cash payment with your mobile phone

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    What's funny is I actually had a phone like that when those were new, just a little thinner though.
    You are really showing your age, Scandiman. About the first phone you showed us, is it the same phone that I saw in the movie Wall Street Money Never Sleeps? I think Mr. Gekko retrieves a big, bulky phone when he leaves the prison.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    You are really showing your age, Scandiman. About the first phone you showed us, is it the same phone that I saw in the movie Wall Street Money Never Sleeps? I think Mr. Gekko retrieves a big, bulky phone when he leaves the prison.
    It was odd growing up through the transition to digital ways of life. I had many papers in my 1st 2 years of college rejected by the profs because I used a Mac Imagewriter dot matrix printer instead of typing it by hand. Laser printers didn't exist yet and computer interfacing with a solid-type output device was relegated to the server rooms of the time using tractor feed forms. So it was back to the Selectric to bang out the papers to keep many profs happy. (The cool machines had the white-out ribbon )

As for gekko, I haven't seen the new movie yet, but if it's the same phone as in the old movie then it's pretty close... they were bulky, but actually worked very well before the airwaves got too crowded.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 11-17-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Founding Member

When it comes to electronic gadgets, Japan (Korea too) is way ahead of us. In Japan, you can watch TV on your mobile phone while riding the subway. You can also use it as a digital wallet, which Google will be launching in the next version of Android.
    Hoping Google's GingerBread will be an affordable mobile payment gateway. From what I gather it is a service used in processing traditional payment services like credit cards. Mobile commerce in the US should finally start to take off when the payment gateway cost hurdles are overcome....
    C.T. Kirkpatrick
    Austin Texas
    Akron.mobi

Look at the picture of Atrix 4G Hooled up to an Dell monitor, keyboard and mouse. I'd like to get one.

The Atrix 4G phone is another highlight of the Motorola booth. This phone has been widely reported on, and its gimmick is the ability to slip into a number of docks which connect it to a TV, desktop keyboard, mouse and monitor, or turn it into a slim craptop.

It looks pretty a computer CPU the size of a mobile phone..

More info on Atrix 4G

The Atrix 4G will normally operate like any other high-end Android OS smartphone, but plugging it into its Standard Dock will make it into a light-duty PC. Users will be able to use a full version of the Firefox web browser without losing access to the Android OS apps. And the dock will provide three USB ports for a keyboard and mouse, as well as an HD video-out port.

When AT&T and Motorola announced this device early this month, they said nothing about the the price of this dock, but the online retail website Fommy is now listing it for $60.

In addition to the desktop dock, Motorola is also producing a laptop dock that will offer an 11-inch display, keyboard, and trackpad,

When plugged into either of these accessories, the smartphone will switch to a version of Linux that can run Firefox with a near desktop experience, including multiple windows, Adobe Flash support, etc.
    Source:http://www.brighthand.com/default.as...Dock+Price+ATT

What Linux?

Default hi

i can't believe on it is it real but dear how can it i am really shcok that you have used it.

thanks
    kimhellbert

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III. I think my dad still has it. My dad took away my typewriter and told me if I wanted anything typed to hand it I had better learn how to use it. We started with a dot matrix printer and later upgraded to the world's loudest printer - a daisy wheel. It almost got me kicked out of my sorority that's how loud it was!

Phones aren't computers yet. The iPhone app version of Photoshop is bare bones at best - although I have another photo editing app that worked quite well to switch up a photo I took for a logo on a mobile site. Data charges are going to shock some people pretty soon if people don't get a move on and make more mobile sites!
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

Wow very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III.
    Coast, you are really showing your age!

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III.
    Mine also, cant remember what model number it was.

It was year 1981.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Founding Member

makes my first one seem like a speed demon.. was an Acer either 133mhz or 166mhz brand new from best buy with 1GB hdd and either 64mb or 128mb ram.. like $2,500 (monitor included) probably 1996 or so.. i worked 2 summers at $5.15 per hour to buy that thing.

Coast, you are really showing your age!
    Yes, I was just three months old
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

Default hi

ya its really fact and we can see it front of our eyes also

Quote Originally Posted by Tofayel View Post
    Mobile phones can be a supplementary of PC but never can be use as a duplicate of PC.
    Laptop can be a duplicate of desktop but mobile can't be.
    I might go out on a limb and say if a dedicated thin keyboad could be attached and image projection become standard on phones who knows, they may just one day

Founding Member

there is nothing out on a limb about it.. eventually they will be able to do everything the highest end desktop/laptop computers can do.. 100% guaranteed its just the naturual progression of things. it might take another 10 years or so to make any sort of dent but it will happen there is just absolutely no question about it. not only do the devices themselves need to be significantly faster but internet bandwidth will need to increase quite a bit..

carry around a high end computer in your pocket and when you get home plug it into your external 30" LCD screen and external keyboard - im sure there are some other technology leaps im leaving out.

Its just technology we can say

Quote Originally Posted by mjnels View Post
    there is nothing out on a limb about it.. eventually they will be able to do everything the highest end desktop/laptop computers can do.. 100% guaranteed its just the naturual progression of things. it might take another 10 years or so to make any sort of dent but it will happen there is just absolutely no question about it. not only do the devices themselves need to be significantly faster but internet bandwidth will need to increase quite a bit..

carry around a high end computer in your pocket and when you get home plug it into your external 30" LCD screen and external keyboard - im sure there are some other technology leaps im leaving out.
    If you're meaning that eventually phones will be able to do everything that todays highest end desktop/laptop computers can do I completely agree, but all technology advances and the sheer size difference means a desktop will always be able to contain more technology than a mobile device, and hence for the markets it's intended to serve will be able to do more than a mobile device. In this regard size will always matter.

Mobility Regular FilipinoFood.com's Avatar

45% of all tweets from a mobile (remember, of the 4.7 billion world mobiles, most are still not online) - http://www.searchenginejournal.com/t...reasing/34136/
    HTML Code:
    <iframe width=100% height=300 name="webchat" src="http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=de9a2e413dbb2d2bd2dd11f47d5e3df9&server=irc.Mibbit.Net&channel=%23webmasterradio&autoConnect=true&nick=WMR%3F%3F%3F"></iframe>

Founding Member

If you're meaning that eventually phones will be able to do everything that todays highest end desktop/laptop computers can do I completely agree, but all technology advances and the sheer size difference means a desktop will always be able to contain more technology than a mobile device, and hence for the markets it's intended to serve will be able to do more than a mobile device. In this regard size will always matter.
    yeah, todays speeds/capabilities is what i meant. but i dont know, possible the technology advance/size difference gap will close a bit more than we are imagining..

Quote Originally Posted by mjnels View Post
    yeah, todays speeds/capabilities is what i meant. but i dont know, possible the technology advance/size difference gap will close a bit more than we are imagining..
    That's a good point, while larger devices will always be able to do more, the smaller devices may do just about everything we may need or desire, except for a few specialized industrial applications. Even today there's not many people buying a Cray supercomputer even though something that size would have been needed 20 years ago to accomplish stuff we take for granted today.

Mobility Regular

That's not entirely accurate. In the near future cloud computing could be the norm, then the desktop or mobile device are just terminals with brute processing power ocurring elsewhere. In that scenario, the size of the terminal is independent of the 'amount of technology' it contains (or has access to).

Quote Originally Posted by youmo View Post
    That's not entirely accurate. In the near future cloud computing could be the norm, then the desktop or mobile device are just terminals with brute processing power ocurring elsewhere. In that scenario, the size of the terminal is independent of the 'amount of technology' it contains (or has access to).
    That's an excellent point, I completely overlooked the cloud computing aspect of things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12