Thread: Has anyone tried A dam S mith's strategy?

Default Has anyone tried A dam S mith's strategy?

In the last few days, I watched a number of free videos put up by this guy on the Internet .

Simply put, his strategy includes:

1. Use Amazon to find out the most popular book in a niche (eg betta fish).
    2. Use Google's Keyword Tool and Google search to identify keywords which have high search volume but small number of relevant websites. (I think he then uses the keywords in SEO.)
    3. Use table of contents from the most popular book as a reference and outsource to a researcher in Philippines to assemble information according to it.
    4. Again, outsource to a writer in Philippines to rewrite the assembled texts into an original book.
    5. Publish and sell the ebook on his website (with SEO done, I believe).
    6. Find another niche and repeat the process again and again.

The approach sounds credible. However, I cannot believe you can launch such site in 3 days and then put it on auto pilot. (If you go to his www dot bettafishcenter dot com and click sitemap, you'll see a lot of apparently original information.) It's unlikely people like me without betta fish knowledge can do it -- and within such a short time.

Interestingly, I couldn't find any negative or other comments about him on the Internet. Of course, he tries to upsell you to his mentoring program. I'm keen to know if anyone has tried something similar to what he does, with success.
    Last edited by ChinaMobi; 06-18-2010 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post

Interestingly, I couldn't find any negative or other comments about him on the Internet. Of course, he tries to upsell you to his mentoring program. I'm keen to know if anyone has tried something similar to what he does, with success.
    Any book reviews?

Upselling to the mentoring may actually BE the product, and the rest is the bait.

I don't think there's any book review. In one of his videos, he showed an ebook he made, but the book is a very simple PDF file, with no information on author, publisher, etc.

I could sense it's a bait and I'm not interested in taking up his mentoring program. Nevertheless, I find his ideas very interesting.
    Last edited by ChinaMobi; 06-18-2010 at 09:18 AM.

I have over a dozen websites (list at BTWP.com) some have original content, several are specialized directorys that are part original and part quotes, and others are pretty much text from Wikipedia or Public domain books. Most websites get a few hundred uniques per month (not much). The most hits (5000+ / Month) are to my train site which is re-written Wikipedia. The second , on pyramids, is mostly Public domain.

Conclusion: Google does not penalize duplicate content very much, at least if you change it a little.
    http://tibetanjewelry.mobi
    "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. And then you win."
    -Gandhi

Thanks for sharing your positive experience in using non-original materials. It gives me confidence.

On the other hand, I'm confused. How is your message related to my question on the guy's strategy. Can you elaborate a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi
    ... How is your message related to my question on the guy's strategy.
    Can you elaborate a bit more?
    Public domain content is an alternative to "new" content from professional writers in the Philippines.

That, plus I have an aversion to articles and books written by people who have no passion for their topic.
    "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. And then you win."
    -Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Accent View Post
    That, plus I have an aversion to articles and books written by people who have no passion for their topic.
    I like it.

If your content is strong enough and you figure out the right price point, you can sell your ebook via clickbank. Make sure it's a great product, though, since you are obligated to offer a 59 day return policy. It is $50 USD to set up a product on clickbank the last time I looked - clickbank.com

I'm starting to wonder if what he said in he videos is mostly sales pitch for his mentoring program. For example, he talks about inserting Adsense in his articles to make secondary income in addition to selling ebaook. In his actual website betta fish, however, there's no Adsense.

Of couse the videos are a sales pitch. Well, most likely they are. Most people who post free info that invites competition are not doing it from the goodness of their hearts. Some do, but most don't. The mentoring itself may or may not be worth your time or money. I evaluate that based on how responsive the person is to emails, whether they are active on social media or not, and what past students have to say.

You are right, coast. Over the years I've attended seminars, conference, boot camp etc. on investment. I've spent a lot of money, but my conclusion is that most skills I need for investment are freely available on the Internet (that's why I created the Investment Wisdom section on my website). The most important thing is to learn the basics and then take action. Nothing can replace learning through actually doing.

Cool Learning by Doing...

Hey China, you are correct that a lot can be said for learning by doing, but the whole value behind teachers, mentors and quality information products is the time-line to get into a new industry or niche. If someone has taken the time to compile a system or methods to achieve a goal that might take you years to master, then most info products, teachings, new business strategies etc. are typically a great investment...

Quote Originally Posted by Accent View Post
    Conclusion: Google does not penalize duplicate content very much, at least if you change it a little.
    Actually, I've been thinking about the criteria that Google loves UNIQUE contents. I've been asking myself "How unique is a content unique? Say, you quote one paragraph from Wikipedia, another from another source, etc. Voila, you have a page of contents. But, is it considered unique by Google's search engine?

What's your guess concerning Google's approach to analyzing your page and checking it against its massive database of contents?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboText View Post
    If someone has taken the time to compile a system or methods to achieve a goal that might take you years to master, then most info products, teachings, new business strategies etc. are typically a great investment...
    That may be true in the past, but I find the Internet today provides vast amount of knowledge that you can learn if you have the desire. For example, I've been learning about Internet marketing, domain investment, etc. so far without paying a dime.

On the other hand, during the last boom time, I saw many seminar junkies who just hopped from one seminar to another, without going out to do it. I think only 20% or so actually took action with the 80% did not do a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    Actually, I've been thinking about the criteria that Google loves UNIQUE contents. I've been asking myself "How unique is a content unique? Say, you quote one paragraph from Wikipedia, another from another source, etc. Voila, you have a page of contents. But, is it considered unique by Google's search engine?

What's your guess concerning Google's approach to analyzing your page and checking it against its massive database of contents?
    I am wondering if the "Unique Content" requirement is pure myth. Not that I have looked very deeply into it. Many times I have searched a topic and found Google has pages of repeats of the same article -- and the original is not always ranked first.

Most content - particularly Wikipedia - can use some revision. Sometimes I "translate" from British English to American. Wonder if I even need to do that.
    -Gandhi