Thread: new multilingual mbendi.mobi launched

Default new multilingual mbendi.mobi launched

Next time you have a spare moment - while sitting in a taxi, waiting at an airport or killing time before a meeting - take out your cell-phone, fire up its web browser and try the new multilingual MBendi.mobi which is available in 32 languages.

MBendi.mobi provides details of people, organisations, accommodation, restaurants, event venues, travel attractions and news, all interlinked. MBendi's information on Africa is the most comprehensive on the Internet. While our information on other continents is less extensive, each day visitors from around the world use the 'My MBendi' section of the MBendi.com website to add details of their organisations and properties.

Translation of the English website navigation and framework was carried out by Web-lingo, an international network of 900 in-country, professional language translators. In time the number of languages represented in MBendi.mobi will be doubled and more. Core information, such as news items and descriptions of companies and properties, is in the language of origin, usually English.

The 32 languages include 12 indigenous African languages, as well as the home language of most of the teams competing in the 2010 FIFA World Cup Tournament.

The African languages supported are Afrikaans, Arabic, IsiNdebele, IsiXhosa, IsiZulu, Kiswahili, Sepedi, Sesotho, Setswana, SiSwati, TsiVenda and Xitsonga.

Aha ! something similar to lodging.mobi
    With the fifa world cup in south africa , hope this site gets all the relevant hits.
    Will do up a review of mbendi on my little site later. Great stuff btw

Wow! Nice indeed Shaun. That's a very nice addition to their mobile site. http://www.mbendi.com/mbendipr/mobi/index.htm

"Each language section of MBendi.mobi comprises three million web pages; the full, 32-language website contains one hundred million pages. That makes it one of the biggest websites anywhere."

I don't want to rain on your parade but I first reported about Mbendi.mobi back in 2007. I actually registered Mbendi.mobi in 2007 and gave them the site for free after I received a C&D letter from them after trying to sell them the domain. I told them at the time they could have it for gratis but that I hoped that they would develop it. I then gave them all the info about Mtld and .Mobi sites and what they stood for. They promised to develop it and that they did. I even got a free membership from them for my troubles. Here is the link that will let you see all my posts concerning Mbendi.mobi here on Mobility.mobi right from the start in 2007. I actually feel kinda proud that it was through me that .mobi came to their attention and that it has led to them now having one of the largest and most impressive .mobi domains in the world.
    http://mobility.mobi/search.php?searchid=120825
    Regards
    Fred

MBendi.mobi - The World in your Hands!

MBendi.mobi is the hand-held friendly version of the MBendi.com website. It is specifically designed for use on cell-phones and other mobile devices. Using MBendi.mobi, the MBendi directories and news archive can be conveniently accessed from your phone while on the move, waiting for a meeting to start or even to check information in the middle of a phone call.
    Open the web browser on your phone and goto: http://mbendi.mobi
    Alternatively, if your phone has a barcode scanner function try scanning the image on the left with your phone. It's a mobile code (Datamatrix) for the MBendi.mobi url. (more on scanner applications for phones...)
    Multi-Lingual MBendi.mobi Facts and Figures
    Each language section of MBendi.mobi comprises three million web pages; the full, 32-language website contains one hundred million pages. That makes it one of the biggest websites anywhere.
    MBendi.mobi is currently available in the following 32 languages (12 of which are African):
    Afrikaans, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Dutch, English, Euro Portuguese, Farsi, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Ndebele, Norwegian, Russian, Sepedi, SeSotho, Simplified Chinese, SiSwati, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tsonga, Tswana, Turkish, US English, Venda, Xhosa, Zulu.
    Translation of the English website navigation and framework into 30 languages was carried out by Web-lingo, an international network of 900 in-country, professional language translators.
    Some textual content, such as news items and descriptions of companies and properties, remains in the language of origin, usually English.
    MBendi.mobi provides details of accommodation, restaurants, event venues, travel attractions, news, people and organisations (or organizations as it's spelled in the American English section), all interlinked.
    MBendi's information on Africa is the most comprehensive on the Internet. While our information on other continents is less extensive, each day visitors from around the world use the My MBendi section of MBendi.com website to add details of their organisations and properties.
    MBendi.mobi is designed for viewing on a small screen. It is easy to navigate and to switch between languages. The pages are designed to minimise bandwidth usage, important in countries where mobile data services are slow or expensive.
    MBendi's services include the creation of both mobi and multilingual websites, ideally suited for companies wishing to reach international audiences on the move - remember, more than 50% of the world's population now own and use cell-phones!
    MBendi.mobi News Feeds
    Receive the MBendi.mobi feed of World Business News on your phone

Last edited by Binaryman; 03-25-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Cool Thanks B-Man ...

Good to hear from you again - and many thanks for the compliments on the multilingual version of MBendi.mobi.

I was wondering when you'd pick up on this thread!

Regards,
    Shaun

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    Aha ! something similar to lodging.mobi
    With the fifa world cup in south africa , hope this site gets all the relevant hits.
    Will do up a review of mbendi on my little site later. Great stuff btw
    Hi Morse,

Thanks for your comments on MBendi.mobi - I would be interested to know if you have done your review yet and if so what the link is?

Just looked at lodging.mobi, I found it quite complex to use once you got to start booking - but some useful ideas to be had!

Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunM View Post
    Good to hear from you again - and many thanks for the compliments on the multilingual version of MBendi.mobi.

I was wondering when you'd pick up on this thread!

Regards,
    Shaun
    My goodness...Hi Shaun..I didn't realize it was Shaun the technical director of Mbendi.mobi himself. Nice to see you here again too and let me tell you once again how thoroughly impressed I am by the way you have developed Mbendi.mobi
    It really has become a benchmark site imo that shows how .Mobi sites should be implemented. How are things in the fairest Cape? I really miss the place very much. I used to live in Cape Town for many years as well as Knysna and Witsand on the Breede River. Well fortunately the winter is now over here in Holland and the first days of spring have arrived.
    Sincere regards
    Fred

Ps. I see that http://sanparks.mobi now looks to be .mobi compliant although the newsflash link leads to the desktop developed sanparks.org site.
    Last edited by Binaryman; 03-26-2010 at 02:51 PM.