Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ►►► MOBILITY 2.0 FEEDBACK!

Thumbs up ►►► MOBILITY 2.0 FEEDBACK!

Welcome back, folks!

It's been a painful 4 days doing this upgrade and re-organization and it's still not done! In the process, I even managed to uncover a vB4 bug that the vB team hadn't discovered yet, and that slowed me down quite a bit.

So I apologize for the delays as I know a lot of you need to get your daily Mobility fix, so I hope the Withdrawal symptoms weren't too bad. I've actually overdosed on Mobility these past 4 days, so I'm going to be in rehab for the next couple of days.

Anyway, I hope you guys like the new Mobility. This new version is quite different to the old version, so it will take some getting used to. Heck, I'm still learning my way around this beauty, but I personally like it a lot more.

The first thing you probably noticed is the homepage, which is no longer the forum. It's an actual homepage with articles and the latest posts. The cool thing about those articles is that they can not only be purposefully written, but they can also be a post that has been "promoted" to an article on the front page. We often have great posts on here more than worthy of being a stand-alone article as you all know, so I look forward to using this feature quite a lot.

Then there's the new Mobility blog. I will be inviting guest bloggers to share their views on various topics within the Mobile industry. This will be open to both member and non-members alike, so feel free to contribute, and you'll get a chance to plug what you've been working on and get some good exposure.

The next thing you'll notice is that the forum has been re-organized as was expected. For you .mobi lovers, you'll find all the relevant sub-forums in the "Mobile Domain Names (.mobi)" Section (with the exception of the Marketplace sub-forums). I haven't forgotten our roots, and I know a lot of you only care about .mobi, so I actually added a NEW POSTS link to every section of the forum so that you can focus on the latest content that you're most interested in. I had the .mobi section specifically in mind for this, so all you have to do to keep track of the latest .mobi news and discussion is hit that NEW POSTS link at the top of the Section. Couldn't be easier!

The most important thing to remember here, folks, is that nothing is set in stone, so we can change things around and continue to improve on this first effort.

Which brings me to my last point: I need YOUR feedback! So play around with this new version and don't be shy in letting me know what you love, hate, and think can be changed or improved.

Also, keep in mind that this was a major version upgrade (from 3.x to 4.x) and the bug I encountered forced me to uninstall ALL the plugins we had (from iTrader to the Chat to the Mobile version). I backed up the iTrader (and the Personal Notepads) before doing so, but I don't know if were going to be able to put it back in place, although I still have your iTrader ratings and we can figure something out in the worst case scenario. Not all plugins have been upgraded for version 4.x, so I'm going to be looking into that in the next few weeks. The new version has also overwritten the custom "Quick Links" we had and the internal layout is incompatible with how we were doing the MotM logo's, so I'll also be working on getting those back to how they were (I just didn't want to delay us any further). For now, enjoy the bare-bones vB4!

Anyway, give me your feedback so we can turn this rough stone into a diamond that is worthy of its new slogan (which I hope you all like! ).

I'm all ears. Let's make this the most happening place in the industry!
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Last edited by seanboy; 03-06-2010 at 08:49 PM.

It looks great, Andres! Are there plans to bring back chat?

I feel like a disorientated shopper who's wandered into the lingerie section of the department store by mistake a la; Father Ted.... (classic comedy)... I guess it'll take me a while to get my bearings back! Congrats on the re-launch Andres, I'm sure it'll make the broader forum a bigger & better one....

now where was I? lol

OMG!!!! no emoticons? where's my favourite emoticons gone?

Founding Member

where am i? and why did it take 3 days... i thought you just flip a switch and all the forum stuff is magically upgraded with minimal effort.

looks good at first glance.. haven't really had a look around yet but i am all for this expansion beyond just .mobi

NooNoo... I think Scavenger is the username for the RSS feed! (intentional or otherwise?)

No Sean... you need to google "Father Ted" escape from lingerie section ;-)

Sean: not sure if you can view in USA?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0578500/

A few problems with the new update..

-site is many times slower now.
    -new posts is rendered useless as a tool to find discussion if it's filled with 100+ pages of RSS feed posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post

-new posts is rendered useless as a tool to find discussion if it's filled with 100+ pages of RSS feed posts.
    Snap, how do I get rid of the rss posts when clicking "new posts"?
    The speed of light is faster than sound that's why some people appear bright until they open their mouths

To everyone who thinks a profitable viral marketing campaign is so easy to accomplish I would suggest to go and do it instead of complaining that others aren't - Scandiman

It's a bit overwhelming... I'd like to see some of the old links, chat, and fewer rss feed posts, or at least have them hidden.

Are you going to put a decent skin / theme on here? This looks like a default skin? It looks very bland
    The speed of light is faster than sound that's why some people appear bright until they open their mouths

To everyone who thinks a profitable viral marketing campaign is so easy to accomplish I would suggest to go and do it instead of complaining that others aren't - Scandiman

Congrats on the successful upgrade after all that hard work, Andres! It'll take a while to get a handle on it all!

I can get used to the new look pretty easily, but if there's one thing that HAS to be changed, it's the RSS. There's so much being pushed through by "Scavenger" that any new thread that might get started by an actual member will be pushed out of sight within an hour!

I think Scavenger RSS is about 5x as prolific as it was last week.... which can't be a bad thing if all the stories are relevant to the new 'broader church' that is Mobility 2.0 - I do agree that Discussion neeeds to be split away so as not to be lost among the RSS.

I must admit, I feel like someones thrown out my favourite old pair of worn in Jeans.... I had got so used to the old version that this is going to take a lot of getting used to! (I'm of that age where these things take time ;-)

Out of interest, what does the new version look like on a smartphone? does it retain reasonable functionality?

Having just read a post by RSS / Scavenger about "the Saturdays" singer taking a break from twitter...... I think we need a far more sophisticated filter to keep this short of "non-news" as far away from mobility as is humanly possible! - Gods knows how you'll do it Andres? I'm glad I don't have to work that one out... lol
    On the plus side; the RSS is picking up a whole load of stories that are relevant to the world of mobile... it's such a big niche now it's no longer a niche! - it's mainstream... gonna need to sub-divide the RSS into several streams to keep it manageable

Founding Member

The New Posts feature has taken over the forum and people looking for Yopics being discussed are simply going to be dissuaded, since the new posts feed takes over everything.
    ERP.MOBI | LOG.MOBI | BROADCAST.MOBI | SHARES.MOBI | RFP.MOBI

Hi folks, thanks for the initial feedback.

I'm glad to hear that the general consensus is that the forum looks good, even if a bit bland. I will eventually get a custom-skin, but I prefer to wait until Mobility is actually making a profit before investing in making it look even better. Plus, this was already a huge change to our look&feek as it is, so I think will serve us well for the time being as it is a major improvement on the previous version.

Regarding our new friend Scavenger, he's just temporary to fill up the new (and empty!) forums. It is very uninviting to have 20 or so empty forums spread around the forum, so I needed a filler. I'm going to be gradually slowing him down in the next few days. But I will also need your help to invite and attract new users that would be interested in the new sections we have to offer so that we can get them going on their own.

Keep in mind that as we grow, the New Posts at the top will become less and less useful as it will contain too many posts from too many people about too many subject matters to make it useful for any one person. This is why I incorporated a NEW POSTS button in every section, so you can follow just the forums you're most interested.

There is also a green icon on every forum in the forum homepage that allows you to subscribe to a forum. I'm not entirely sure how that works, but it might prove useful.

Regarding the speed of Mobility, I have heard that vB4 is slightly slower than vB3, but I think the slow speed could also be attributed to the RSS Feeds being on overdrive and the sudden indexing of the new site by search engines. Let's see if it's still running as slow in a week, and if it is, I can look into ways of possibly optimizing the site.

As for the chat and old links, yes they will be brought back, I just need to figure out what's the best way of doing that in vB4.

You should still see the full emoticon set we've all grown to love when you click on the Advanced button when making a post. For example:

Anywho, please keep the feedback coming so we can polish this up.

Thanks!
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

| Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Hey, count me in... the emoticons are still here!

Ok first congrats on the furthering of mobility!

I do see a couple major flaws, especially as this site is a mobi which is all about mobile. I visit this site almost always from my iPhone. The load time is very slow which makes for frustrating navigation. The next issue is a biggie to me...the site is way to large for my screen! I'm having to scroll from side to side where before, the content fit my screen beautifully. IMO it's more like a .com now and that's not good.

If those 2 issues can be resolved it would be a big plus for the site!
    Last edited by keithmt; 03-04-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keithmt View Post
    Ok first congrats on the furthering of mobility!

I do see a couple major flaws, especially as this site is a mobi which is all about mobile. I visit this site almost always from my iPhone. The load time is very slow which makes for frustrating navigation. The next issue is a biggie to me...the site is way to large for my screen! I'm having to scroll from side to side where before, the content fit my screen beautifully. IMO it's more like a .com now and that's not good.

If those 2 issues can be resolved it would be a big plus for the site!
    Yup, they will be as soon as I re-install the Mobile plugin. I had to uninstall all the plugins during the upgrade, so the Mobile version of Mobility is temporarily down.

Looking good...but..CAN YOU PLEASE REMOVE THAT SCAVENGER THING FROM THE WHAT'S NEW LIST
    <signature police forced me to remove my image that was too large and had nothing to do with a mobi site >

Autodisk.mobi - all dutch carspecs | Manage all your holiday accommodations with our online manager.

Sorry to post this again, but I can't mod if I can't find posts. Please, do something about scaveger. I am drowning in RSS feed. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    Please, do something about scaveger. I am drowning in RSS feed. Thanks!
    I agree. Scavenger has claimed the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Andres Kello View Post
    Keep in mind that as we grow, the New Posts at the top will become less and less useful as it will contain too many posts from too many people about too many subject matters to make it useful for any one person. This is why I incorporated a NEW POSTS button in every section, so you can follow just the forums you're most interested.
    Keep in mind that new posts is how most every current member navigates the site for new content and it's been rendered useless by RSS feeds. I don't mind RSS feeds filling content but find a way to remove it from the New Posts link. I'm not interested in clicking from sub forum to sub forum to try and find discussion.

Founding Member

Looks like a huge step up Andres! It is no longer just a forum but a full fledged community with a well thought out vision.

I love the addition of a content management system. The article "news" format and blogs add new dimentions. The look and feel should be very comfortable when you get everything nailed down. Would love to see the chat come back even if it's not front and center anymore.

Glad to hear you are getting the mobile plug ins reinstalled. Tried it on my phone with same results as Keith on the wait time and screen sizing.

Will be nice to see the rss Scavenger being slowed down so the "New Posts" functions again I am on 6 or 7 forums all day long and I live by the " New Posts" , "Todays Posts", and flat board options so I can quickly navigate to the most recent content.

Overall though it's looking awesome Andres. Great job!
    C.T. Kirkpatrick
    Austin Texas
    Akron.mobi

Last edited by seanboy; 03-06-2010 at 08:50 PM.

I also use "new posts" almost exclusively. Is there a way to do a -scavenger or something in the search string? Thanks!

Very happy with the transition.

I too navigate by the "latest posts" so Scavenger is blinding me.

Also I wonder if you could vary or even randomise the name used for Scavenger so it looks less like one prolific autoposter filling the place up.

The transition was beautiful but took much time,
    This new Vbulletin has been loved by many, it has huge potential of spreading more awareness, but as scandiman pointed out the site has become considerably slow, maybe because it is rich in media content (graphics), this may be eating up a lot of server resources. People loved the simplistic darker theme of mobility, please try to make it dark (personal opinion).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast