Thread: Mobility 2.0: Upgrading to vB4 + Reorganizing the Forum in the coming weeks...

Thumbs up Mobility 2.0: Upgrading to vB4 + Reorganizing the Forum in the coming weeks...

Hi folks,

Just a quick note to let everyone know that in the coming weeks we're going to be upgrading to the newest version of vBulletin and reorganizing the forum to expand beyond .mobi and become the center of the mobile universe.

vB4 is a major new release of the vBulletin software, so a lot of things are going to change and look different, mostly for the better. This will be the biggest change to Mobility by far that we've seen.

Since the changes will be so profound, I want to take advantage of that transition to also reorganize and expand the forum to encompass the entire mobile industry as per this thread.

So expect a monumental change to Mobility soon and there will certainly be a learning curve to it for us all (especially the Admin!).

There is one downside to the upgrade, however, and one reason why I have always been reluctant to install too many add-ons to vB. Simply put, some (if not most) add-ons for vBulletin 3.x will not work with vB4. Unfortunately, that will most likely include the Trader Ratings. I contacted the owner of that add-in who hasn't updated it in over 5 years, but I never heard back. I'm open to suggestions about how members want to handle the potential (not guaranteed) loss of the Trader Ratings so that the transition is smoother.

Anyway, we're growing, we're adapting, and we're looking ahead towards the mobile future. Let's enjoy the ride.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Founding Member

godspeed sir...

also, DNForum recently upgraded to VB4 and they somehow got the trader ratings to stay... not sure how though and i do remember there being some intermittent issues with them not appearing at first.

Quote Originally Posted by mjnels View Post
    DNForum recently upgraded to VB4 and they somehow got the trader ratings to stay... not sure how though and i do remember there being some intermittent issues with them not appearing at first.
    That's a very good sign, but I don't have the resources DNForum has, so I can't promise I'll be able to get it to work. We need a Plan B just in case...
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

| Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Hi Folks, chances are I'll be upgrading and re-organizing the forum this weekend, so expect a bit of downtime.

Just wanted to give you the heads up!

Good luck Andres!
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Thanks, Andres. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next for mobility!

What are you going to do with the old forum? Can we convert our iTraders to loot?

Hahaha. In all serious good luck with the upgrade.

Mobility Regular

This will be great - and thank you for your efforts!!
    If the main site is down, will you be posting any status updates anywhere?

(via blog, twitter, facebook, or email ? )

Just don't want anyone to get stranded!
    See what is going on here: Why.mobi

I think it would be worth saving marketplace ratings even if it meant some extra work along with the other changes.... it's an important resource imho...

looking forward to all the changes though.... and the fresh blood

Mobility Regular

Upgrading to 4x is not an easy task. i ended up with a few days offline. it was really frustrating to get it set up. once its up and running, its really easy to use and better for members IMO. Try not to freak out during the downtime and be patient. The results upgrading to 4x for members and Andres are rewarding.

Goodluck with the upgrade and see ya on the other side, Andres!

Hi Folks,

Mobility will be going down in the next couple of minutes for a major and long-overdue upgrade to vB 4.0 plus an initial re-organization.

It will be down most of the day and should be back up by tomorrow, March 1st, so get your last fix of the day!

See you on the other side...