Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When will dotMobi enable second level .mobi's for ccTLD's?

Pred

Quote Originally Posted by noonoo1 View Post
    There were reports that mtlds robots were everwhere detecting who was using mobile. The robots would have detected their cctld, gtld's, so they would have the data to be able to do this.
    Very interesting though. I'm sure we will see the spin very soon and debates.
    If you want to see something odd, from your mobile type in Disney.us.mobi and then opt for the mobile landing page, it then takes you to godaddy landing page for the auctioned name disney.us

Something went wrong there
    this is what i meant when i said can of worms

mtld own us.mobi
    therefore mtld own disney.us.mobi

theoretically a cybersquatted subdomain

subdomains are sold on us.com and uk.com etc
    im sure if someone regged disney.us.com and featured an auction selling disney.us or anything else disney would have something to say about it

also are these results done in real time or on old data?

im not sure this has been thought out to any stretch. the best brains have left mtld as we know, therein lies the problem

pinky is still there thank goodness. if he left i really would worry

etc

is it ok if mobilize all the websites with this cctld.mobi by instant mobilizer?

if yes, the whole web has mobile version soon.

I think what dot mobi does is when you add the .mobi after the gtld/cctld is check to see if they domain has a mobile site and then gives you the option to visit that mobile site.
    I say this because I tested dnforum.com.mobi and it offered me a mobile version wap.dnforum.com but because dnforum has updated their forum software just recently without updating there mobile it took me to a blank page and not a wap version of there site.

I would say that mtld are doing this off there own backs and will promote their .mobi now, saying that as long as you type .mobi after any name including extention and if they have a mobile subdomain it will always resolve to that mobile site.

Sorry if u can't understand the above statment clear as I'm on my iPhone trying to install a bath suite.

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pred View Post
    this is what i meant when i said can of worms

mtld own us.mobi
    therefore mtld own disney.us.mobi

theoretically a cybersquatted subdomain

subdomains are sold on us.com and uk.com etc
    im sure if someone regged disney.us.com and featured an auction selling disney.us or anything else disney would have something to say about it
    Just for clarity what MTLD has created is a wild card system for the entire TLD so people can easily know if a non Mobi site has a mobile option.

Although an entirely different event Kevin Ham used a wild card system with Cameroon's Dot Cm TLD. Because the whole TLD was being used and not directly targetting anyone in particular on individual domains it was not considered "trademark infringement" when typos of companies with TMs were served up ads.

Or for another scenario when you type in a mistake with an internet provider like Time Warner they provide ads on typo mistakes as well. But since they aren't owning a particular domain and it's their network, they can serve up ads on anything you make a mistake on that isn't already a domain and it won't be considered "trademark infringement".

also are these results done in real time or on old data?

im not sure this has been thought out to any stretch. the best brains have left mtld as we know, therein lies the problem

pinky is still there thank goodness. if he left i really would worry

etc
    It is great that Pinky, Carol, Vance and the rest are there. I love that they are in the game players and take time to respond to the folks at Mobility from time to time. No other TLD reps have ever given me any consideration.

Could MTLD do better? I'm not sure. This market keeps changing fast. Have they made mistakes? Sure but at least they are doing something.

As the owner of many Dot Biz domains as well you don't know what I'd give for Nuestar to do more to improve Dot Biz's position in the domain world
    C.T. Kirkpatrick
    Austin Texas
    Akron.mobi

I guess I am against the majority here - I think this is potentially brilliant.

Stick .mobi on the end of any URL to find the Mobile friendly version, no matter if it is .Mobi, m., /mobile, wap or .Rumplestiltskin ..... and what do you get? People all over the world connecting .mobi with mobile friendly browsing in their minds, thats what. And the potential for viral marketing as word spreads of the easy, simple way to browse on their phone.

We all know that most people have never heard of the Mobi extension. DotMobi does not have the megabucks to launch a global awareness campaign. But they are making an effort, and they are trying things than no one else is trying. This one might work.
    Last edited by Accent; 01-15-2010 at 06:35 AM.
    http://tibetanjewelry.mobi
    "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. And then you win."
    -Gandhi

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Accent View Post
    I guess I am against the majority here - I think this is potentially brilliant.

Stick.mobi on the end of any URL to find the Mobile friendly version, no matter if it is .Mobi, m., /mobile, wap or .Rumplestiltskin ..... and what do you get? People all over the world connecting .mobi with mobile friendly browsing in their minds, thats what. And the potential for viral marketing as word spreads of the easy, simple way to browse.

We all know that most people have never heard of the Mobi extension. DotMobi does not have the megabucks to launch a global awareness campaign. But they are making an effort, and they are trying things than no one else is trying. This one might work.
    I thought it was pretty clever as well. They don't have it set up for any of the newer TLDs like Dot Mobi or Biz although they have most of them reserved or held as premiums.

If they would do it for for Dot Mobi it would be a smart move

example http://Mobility.mobi.mobi

Yes it looks stupid but it would let you know if a site is mobile accessible just like the other TLDs and would provide at least a backwords compliance option that would be of great use to consumers.

Then if you have a cell phone with a mobi default button it could be used with any regular TLD address and check for a mobile site before accessing.

Maybe I'm missing something but I see more up with this than down.
    C.T. Kirkpatrick
    Austin Texas
    Akron.mobi

Mobility Member

I haven't had a chance to be an active participant on this board lately, but this thread caught my eye.
    Make no mistake... this move by MTLD is intelligent and has the potential to change the way people navigate the web... tectonic shift.

We had originally planned on offering something similar for the new TLD we are pursuing but found an alternative means to provide similar functionality, so our model has been adapted. But when it comes to .mobi offering this service: how it affects the aftermarket value of your portfolio is yet to be seen, but I see plenty of upside. so much upside and very little down... if any.

I hope they push forward with this initiative as it is the fastest route to ubiquitous adoption and can continually brand .mobi as MOBILE in users minds. There are several strategies they should pursue, that I hope they lock onto quickly ... but I need to keep my cards close to my vest.

If executed correctly with a constant eye focused on controlling growth and tracking analytics... I'm 100% behind this brilliant move by MTLD.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread This is certainly an interesting move by mtld and one that will prove fruitful(bring in money) for them. Exactly how this will effect prices for domainers is yet to be determined.

For many of us who are developing, I see this as a good thing. If properly marketed, this will increase awareness of the .mobi extension and make explaining that .mobi is for mobile and that site.mobi will most likely work on your cell phone, a lot easier.

We'll need to wait and hear the official word from mtld, but more importantly, how will this concept, which in my mind is brilliant, be marketed to everyone. It seems that they are still in dev mode on this one because visiting a site that does not have a mobile counterpart, throws the following error:
    HTTP Status 404 - No mobile entry point found.

To many of us this message makes perfect sense, but to the common man this error can easily be misinterpreted and have negative connotations for what mtld is trying to accomplish. Instead of throwing such an error, I would favor them saying that the website does not have a mobile site with a message inviting them to view the pc version. Here's an example.

If a site has a mobile version, mtld displays the following:
    Mobile: http://google.mobi
    Desktop: http://www.google.com