Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 65

Thread: What is going on with the .mobi? Is it all gone in the bin or what?

  1. #1
    Mobility Regular italiandragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    186

    Question What is going on with the .mobi? Is it all gone in the bin or what?

    Hi guys,

    I have been away from the whole internet for about a year due to family and personal problems so I`m trying to catch up a bit.

    I see lots of LLL.mobi almost free, what is going on?

    I suppose not good news otherwise they won`t be that cheap, right?

    thanks
    The Domain World by ItalianDragon --->

    ItalianDragon.com™

  2. #2
    Senior Member GijsZePa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nieuw-Vennep, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by italiandragon View Post
    Hi guys,

    I have been away from the whole internet for about a year due to family and personal problems so I`m trying to catch up a bit.

    I see lots of LLL.mobi almost free, what is going on?

    I suppose not good news otherwise they won`t be that cheap, right?

    thanks
    Welcome back Dragon. I hope all your problems are solved !!!

    Well..we're seeing this every year again. Time to harvest !!


    Martin
    <signature police forced me to remove my image that was too large and had nothing to do with a mobi site >


    Autodisk.mobi - all dutch carspecs | Manage all your holiday accommodations with our online manager.

  3. #3
    Mobility Regular italiandragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GijsZePa View Post
    Welcome back Dragon. I hope all your problems are solved !!!

    Well..we're seeing this every year again. Time to harvest !!


    Martin

    Hi Martin...not all solved but better than what it was 2 months ago!

    So, is there still hope for .mobi then?

    Cheers
    The Domain World by ItalianDragon --->

    ItalianDragon.com™

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by italiandragon View Post

    So, is there still hope for .mobi then?

    Cheers

    We're still here.... still improving our portfolios.... so we must have hope!

    It's tough out there and no question about it; we've taken a few hits! But; there's a lot of upside & it's a big world out there!

  5. #5
    Senior Member photoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    The thing is.. everyone wants quick monetary returns for their acquired investments.

    For an extension that "really" is not that old (some say it's already a lifetime) it's a big ask-to get good returns. With tough economic times, you get cheap sales. My 2cts...

  6. #6
    Senior Member gogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    planet Gogon - M25 class planet
    Posts
    3,452

    Default

    The glass might be half empty or half full, but what is being served in it is not the same as when mobi launched 3 years ago. And the prices are low. Mobi domains are no longer required or guaranteed to have mobile content, and the Dotmobi company seems to have some serious issues discussed in another thread http://mobility.mobi/showthread.php?p=121904

    But there are companies, including big ones, using .mobi - we just don't know how many live mobi sites there are, which I find not a good sign since Dotmobi/MTLD were coming out with positive stats for that in the past.

  7. #7
    MobiEnthusiast coast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,720

    Default

    If you are subscribed to dotmobi on LinkedIn or Facebook, Vance is sending out a lot of links to mobi news and mobi sites. Normal people (non-domainers) still have never heard of .mobi, which is disconcerting to me.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    If you are subscribed to dotmobi on LinkedIn or Facebook, Vance is sending out a lot of links to mobi news and mobi sites. Normal people (non-domainers) still have never heard of .mobi, which is disconcerting to me.
    Try the .Mobi Resource Centre for the latest news on .Mobi and also new .Mobi sites that have gone LIVE.
    http://dotmobi.mobi/resources
    Last edited by Binaryman; 12-11-2009 at 01:01 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member photoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    If you are subscribed to dotmobi on LinkedIn or Facebook, Vance is sending out a lot of links to mobi news and mobi sites. Normal people (non-domainers) still have never heard of .mobi, which is disconcerting to me.
    coast makes a good point here!
    & to those who have a twitter account, pls inform others of .mobi simply by supplying a link to some informative/useful domains ie banking sites, news, sport and weather domains

    (& including mine of course

  10. #10
    Mobility Regular italiandragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    186

    Default

    thanks everyone.

    When I was without a computer but with an iPhone I was browsing internet looking to buy a used car and one of the main aussie sites would forward me to the .mobi version on the phone even if I typed it the .com.au on it

    try on your mobile:

    carsales.com.au will bring you to carsales.mobi

    then also Air New Zealand ......AirNZ.mobi
    The Domain World by ItalianDragon --->

    ItalianDragon.com™

  11. #11
    MobiEnthusiast coast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Binaryman View Post
    Try the .Mobi Resource Centre for the latest news on .Mobi and also new .Mobi sites that have gone LIVE.
    http://dotmobi.mobi/resources
    Yes, progress is being made. But still... I get blank stares whenever I mention .mobi to anyone, even at a Tweetup (meetup for twitter power users). If the message isn't getting through on Twitter, well, then the message isn't getting through IMHO.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    Yes, progress is being made. But still... I get blank stares whenever I mention .mobi to anyone, even at a Tweetup (meetup for twitter power users). If the message isn't getting through on Twitter, well, then the message isn't getting through IMHO.
    Right...that about sums it up then. .Mobi will never become mainstream.

  13. #13
    Mobility Regular italiandragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Binaryman View Post
    Right...that about sums it up then. .Mobi will never become mainstream.

    if it fails it will because they did not make the .mobi default on mobile browsing

    but people are very hard to change.......think at americans refusing or ignoring their own ccTld just because .com arrived first. For me it`s insane.
    The Domain World by ItalianDragon --->

    ItalianDragon.com™

  14. #14
    Senior Member keithmt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Detroit, MI.
    Posts
    1,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Binaryman View Post
    Right...that about sums it up then. .Mobi will never become mainstream.
    No need to become mainstream. We just need mobi to
    grab a little piece of the pie as the mobile web gathers
    steam. Plenty to go around!

  15. #15
    Senior Member andymoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by italiandragon View Post
    if it fails it will because they did not make the .mobi default on mobile browsing
    Sorry but that's a cop out, the exposure for the tld would have benefited consumer awareness yes but if it fails (which isn't gonna happen) it's because people passed the buck and didn't bother developing or driving traffic to their domains.

    After massive brand pushes nothing would raise awareness more than folks seeing a lot of .mobi's coming up in Google results. Tell me I'm wrong.

    When will everyone get the point, a name in this climate is not worth squat without development unless you're lucky and have something which has a high perceived value to the buyer.

    That answers why so many .mobi domains are available or being sold off in desperation by speculators who thought they'd turn a buck before renewal time came along.

    I know this place has a lot of domaining talk, too much for my liking to be honest as it's a tld that isn't about spinning off for profit. It's about developing sites and pushing content in an exciting marketplace that still has masses of potential for growth and revenue.

    I wish folks would get off their arses, stop talking doom and gloom about a tld and get on with developing some exiting sites.
    Andy Moore
    i don't do tech / mobi anymore - why do something that annoys and stresses lol

    New: Most Minty Tooth Oil - GMO and fluoride free toothpaste alternative

    100% natural botanical extracts to whiten teeth, freshen breath and strengthen gums
    Used, recommended and sold by Harley Street private dentists

    My other websites:

    http://sellyoursongs.info/ - Sell Your Songs using Mobile Payments
    http://detectmobilebrowsers.mobi/ - Detect Mobile Browsers
    http://andymoore.info/m-commerce-php/ - M-Commerce PHP (sell stuff on the mobile web)
    http://locationdetection.mobi/ - Detect a mobile browser's latitude & longitude
    http://andymoore.info/mysql-lyrics-database/ - Half a million lyrics


  16. #16
    Senior Member GijsZePa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nieuw-Vennep, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andymoore View Post
    I wish folks would get off their arses, stop talking doom and gloom about a tld and get on with developing some exiting sites.
    Amen !

    My autotest2009.mobi makes bucks..

    the same name wouldn't be worth **** without the development..

    Martin
    <signature police forced me to remove my image that was too large and had nothing to do with a mobi site >


    Autodisk.mobi - all dutch carspecs | Manage all your holiday accommodations with our online manager.

  17. #17
    Senior Member gogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    planet Gogon - M25 class planet
    Posts
    3,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andymoore View Post

    I know this place has a lot of domaining talk, too much for my liking to be honest as it's a tld that isn't about spinning off for profit. It's about developing sites and pushing content in an exciting marketplace that still has masses of potential for growth and revenue.
    The forum is transitioning to being a development forum from being a domain monoculture - there was a whole thread where Andres asked for input on this. Methinks your wish will be granted.

  18. #18
    Founding Member Scandiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    9,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andymoore View Post
    Sorry but that's a cop out, the exposure for the tld would have benefited consumer awareness yes but if it fails (which isn't gonna happen) it's because people passed the buck and didn't bother developing or driving traffic to their domains.

    After massive brand pushes nothing would raise awareness more than folks seeing a lot of .mobi's coming up in Google results. Tell me I'm wrong.

    When will everyone get the point, a name in this climate is not worth squat without development unless you're lucky and have something which has a high perceived value to the buyer.

    That answers why so many .mobi domains are available or being sold off in desperation by speculators who thought they'd turn a buck before renewal time came along.

    I know this place has a lot of domaining talk, too much for my liking to be honest as it's a tld that isn't about spinning off for profit. It's about developing sites and pushing content in an exciting marketplace that still has masses of potential for growth and revenue.

    I wish folks would get off their arses, stop talking doom and gloom about a tld and get on with developing some exiting sites.
    You're not wrong Andy, the huge majority of Mobility members came from the domain speculation community and when speculators (especially noobs) don't get rich quick from flipping domains they declare the tld a failure. The expectation of many was for others to do all the work that would make them rich. Global awareness was supposedly the 'job' of mTLD and the backers to promote their .mobi websites and the extension as a whole. That awareness was supposed to drive demand for .mobi domains thus driving up resale prices. Absent that the conclusion is the tld is a failure.

    What will drive the extension forward is quality mobile web development by people determined to make a place for themselves in the mobile web space using .mobi domains. Absent that it will go nowhere fast, just hype and hot air.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 12-11-2009 at 04:44 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member noonoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    3,261

    Default

    I think all 3 of us can agree on that. Anyone else want to join our gang?

  20. #20
    Administrator Andres Kello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    3,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    The forum is transitioning to being a development forum from being a domain monoculture - there was a whole thread where Andres asked for input on this. Methinks your wish will be granted.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

    Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates


  21. #21
    Mobi Site Trader rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Spot On Andy !!

    Andres has made a very smart move by steering this forum away from the 100% domaining aspect of .mobi. Develop and google will reward you for useful meaningful content.

    Our site returns on the first page of google mobile results for our domain name with a space between the keywords and the first spot for the name without a space.



    Rob
    Last edited by rob; 12-11-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Names Sold In 2009: Cant keep track
    http://mobisitetrader.com http://develops.mobi

  22. #22
    Founding Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    i first made the suggestion to transition the forum to more of a development and general mobile forum about a year ago because i realized it was unsustainable and pointless as a mostly .mobi domaining forum... and this is coming from someone who's never developed a single domain.

    the idea wasnt very well received when i brought it up the first few times, but it makes complete sense to do it if we want the forum to grow.


  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjnels View Post
    i first made the suggestion to transition the forum to more of a development and general mobile forum about a year ago because i realized it was unsustainable and pointless as a mostly .mobi domaining forum... and this is coming from someone who's never developed a single domain.

    the idea wasnt very well received when i brought it up the first few times, but it makes complete sense to do it if we want the forum to grow.

    Despite being someone with all the development skills of a blind Rhinoceros I would have to agree that the way forward is for the forum to be central to creating the dotmobi 'ecosystem' (God! how I hate that term since Jeff stole it and made it sound so creepy!)

  24. #24
    MobiEnthusiast coast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,720

    Default

    I am voting with the developers on this one. I did not say it will "never" be mainstream, I said it isn't mainstream - as in not right now. Since my emphasis is in marketing, I notice marketing or lack of it. Vance seems to be doing his level best on Facebook and LinkedIn.

    A Twitter presence could make the difference, but one or two people can't do it alone. There are boatloads of developers and end users on there, and with the wordpress plugin readily available, anyone can be a mobile developer now. They just have to have heard the .mobi name a time or two or three thousand to say, "hey, I think I'll register a .mobi."

  25. #25
    Senior Member thebiffenator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    I am voting with the developers on this one. I did not say it will "never" be mainstream, I said it isn't mainstream - as in not right now. Since my emphasis is in marketing, I notice marketing or lack of it. Vance seems to be doing his level best on Facebook and LinkedIn.

    A Twitter presence could make the difference, but one or two people can't do it alone. There are boatloads of developers and end users on there, and with the wordpress plugin readily available, anyone can be a mobile developer now. They just have to have heard the .mobi name a time or two or three thousand to say, "hey, I think I'll register a .mobi."

    I just posted on my twitter that waist.mobi is using dotMobi's newest wordpress plugin and told them to check it the site now. It is not much but if anyone can retweet, that would be great. Everytime I tweet, I get clost to 25 people instantly online to the site. Twitter defintly can get the message out there if we all use it with our sites.

    My twitter name is mobileweightlos...if anyone wants to follow or retweet what I said.
    Last edited by thebiffenator; 12-11-2009 at 11:47 PM.

  26. #26
    Mobility Regular MyWebSearches's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Dot Mobi is DEAD for me effective immediately!!!

    Just think for a moment why they are so cheap. Read what other people are saying about this extension. There is plenty of opportunities with .com and no need to bother with .mobi.

    There is nothing special about this extension, if there is one the chances are that you can do it with .com also.

    The domain guru (Rick) advice for everyone is to invest in .com, net, and org and forget everything else (except for GEO). I must say that I believe him 100%

    Don't invest any money with renewals fees unless your domain is a "premium" one.

    Good luck to everyone and Happy new year.


  27. #27
    Founding Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyWebSearches View Post
    Dot Mobi is DEAD for me effective immediately!!!

    Just think for a moment why they are so cheap. Read what other people are saying about this extension. There is plenty of opportunities with .com and no need to bother with .mobi.

    There is nothing special about this extension, if there is one the chances are that you can do it with .com also.

    The domain guru (Rick) advice for everyone is to invest in .com, net, and org and forget everything else (except for GEO). I must say that I believe him 100%

    Don't invest any money with renewals fees unless your domain is a "premium" one.

    Good luck to everyone and Happy new year.
    at what point was .mobi "alive" for you?

    you sound like a victim of speculation.


  28. #28
    Pred
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyWebSearches View Post
    Dot Mobi is DEAD for me effective immediately!!!

    Just think for a moment why they are so cheap. Read what other people are saying about this extension. There is plenty of opportunities with .com and no need to bother with .mobi.

    There is nothing special about this extension, if there is one the chances are that you can do it with .com also.

    The domain guru (Rick) advice for everyone is to invest in .com, net, and org and forget everything else (except for GEO). I must say that I believe him 100%

    Don't invest any money with renewals fees unless your domain is a "premium" one.

    Good luck to everyone and Happy new year.
    first point, you 'believe' in .tel

    second point, if the sun shines out of ricks a s s so much, then you're aware he paid the most ever for flowers.mobi $200k and has a stack of .mobis too that he regged and bought?

    also in the face of adversity he will publicly state he believes in .mobi
    http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/2...-mobi-fan.html

    i could talk forever but just wanted to bitch$lap you

  29. #29
    Founding Member Scandiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    9,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyWebSearches View Post
    Dot Mobi is DEAD for me effective immediately!!!
    I'll take a chance and guess that the extension won't miss you either.

  30. #30
    Senior Member thebiffenator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyWebSearches View Post
    Dot Mobi is DEAD for me effective immediately!!!

    Just think for a moment why they are so cheap. Read what other people are saying about this extension. There is plenty of opportunities with .com and no need to bother with .mobi.

    There is nothing special about this extension, if there is one the chances are that you can do it with .com also.

    The domain guru (Rick) advice for everyone is to invest in .com, net, and org and forget everything else (except for GEO). I must say that I believe him 100%

    Don't invest any money with renewals fees unless your domain is a "premium" one.

    Good luck to everyone and Happy new year.
    Confucius Says
    "He who does not know, what he does not know is stupid!"
    Last edited by thebiffenator; 12-12-2009 at 02:25 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
A Yup.mobi Mobile Site
Mobile Dating