Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google.mobi - CALLING ALL MOBILITY MEMBERS - YOUR ACTION REQUIRED!

Default Google.mobi - CALLING ALL MOBILITY MEMBERS - YOUR ACTION REQUIRED!

PLEASE VOTE!!

This question has been posted and needs your vote!!!

"Google.mobi is the obvious choice for Googles expansion into the mobile arena, it's so much 'cleaner' than using the horrible alternative e.g; m.google.com/maps So why isn't Google.mobi being published instead of m. as the default for Google mobile?"

http://productideas.appspot.com/#15/...=276da&f=28007

Just log in (sign up if you need to) then scroll through the questions to find the one above... AND VOTE FOR IT!

Quote Originally Posted by newdomainer View Post

"Google.mobi is the obvious choice for Googles expansion into the mobile arena, it's so much 'cleaner' than using the horrible alternative e.g; m.google.com/maps So why isn't Google.mobi being published instead of m. as the default for Google mobile?"
    Why not G.mobi -- I wonder if mTLD have offered this to Google yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobitunist View Post
    Why not G.mobi -- I wonder if mTLD have offered this to Google yet?

Good point but I'm more worried about what is on the right hand side of the "dot" than the left (you could ask why not m.G.com if you follow that line of thought... and Google is the brand NOT "G"

Also; we know that google already have and use google.mobi BUT they just don't promote it....

Thanks for voting if you have taken 5 minutes to do so - there's about 20 hours left to get the question up to the top 5!!! (so it gets a formal & full response!!!)

Its a lost cause...

Google has branded their mobile services on their existing .com. Typing Google.com on any phone will take you to their mobile site. Its time to accept the fact that Google has no plans to use their .mobi, and their registration of it was nothing more that a move to protect their IP.

Pred

Wink

PLEASE VOTE!!

This question has been posted and needs your vote!!!

http://productideas.appspot.com/#15/...=276da&f=28007

Just log in (sign up if you need to) then scroll through the questions to find the one above... AND VOTE FOR IT!
    voted

Quote Originally Posted by seanboy View Post
    Its a lost cause...

Google has branded their mobile services on their existing .com. Typing Google.com on any phone will take you to their mobile site. Its time to accept the fact that Google has no plans to use their .mobi, and their registration of it was nothing more that a move to protect their IP.
    When I start my browser on my N73 here in SA it defaults to www.google.co.za (which is a mobile site -- no m.google.co.za or google.co.za/Mobile just google.co.za when I view Page Details)

I am also not really sure if I can change this default on my phone, so I would never have the opportunity to type "Google.mobi"?

Google is a Mobi backer, it could be that their slowness to adopt Mobi is only a case of being so big that one department doesn't know what the other is doing. I keep wondering if they are in discussion with DotMobi about G.mobi, perhaps negotiating the extent of promotion that would be required. Google paid a million dollars for G.cn, and promoted it on top of that.

Good idea. This website is actually owned by Google, so they really will be listening.

Voted.
    http://tibetanjewelry.mobi
    "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. And then you win."
    -Gandhi

Its a lost cause...

Sean;

Google.mobi resolves on my phone (blackberry) and I'm sure I haven't been singled out for this special service! ;-)

Google.mobi IS being used, Google are still working on their mobile strategy and will continue to revise that for the next 10 years or more.

It is not over, it is no too late..... It would be very useful to know why a messy m. instead of clean .mobi

I don't care if it's a redirect nor do I care if they promote .mobi as secondary to their main urls..... but I'd like to see more publicity for their dotmobi within any contextual press releases etc..

Voted...3 times.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Thank you to the more positive members who have taken the trouble to vote....

Don't forget - you can also DOWN vote the other questions.... making your vote twice as effective!

Of course you shouldn't abuse the voting format!

Sean;

Google.mobi resolves on my phone (blackberry) and I'm sure I haven't been singled out for this special service! ;-)

Google.mobi IS being used, Google are still working on their mobile strategy and will continue to revise that for the next 10 years or more.

It is not over, it is no too late..... It would be very useful to know why a messy m. instead of clean .mobi

I don't care if it's a redirect nor do I care if they promote .mobi as secondary to their main urls..... but I'd like to see more publicity for their dotmobi within any contextual press releases etc..
    Yes, a one-letter subdomain is really messy. I can barely read it.

I should have said that Google is using .com in addition to your respective country's ccTLD.

Google is using .mobi as a redirect, and nothing more. I wonder if anyone here actually reads the Google mobile blog. When they launch a new mobilbe product, they do it on their .com domain and state that fact:

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/200...or-mobile.html

Quote Originally Posted by Google
    Try these and other Search Options yourself by simply doing a mobile search on google.com and selecting Options.
    http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/200...or-mobile.html

To access these features on your mobile device, go to www.google.com/m/local, or just click on the Local tab on www.google.com.
    http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/200...ws-mobile.html

It's easier and faster than ever to search Google using your Windows Mobile phone. Just visit m.google.com to download the latest version of Google Mobile App, which includes these new features..
    Of course, having the sub-domain is just a failsafe, and Google.com is all that is needed to type in.

You can speculate all day about what Google could do or might do, but the FACTS are Google is not using their .mobi, and from reading their official blog, they have no future plans of doing so. In Google's case, it makes absolutely no sense to rebrand their service on another domain, when all of their content, be it Desktop or Mobile, can be served from their existing domain.
    Last edited by seanboy; 10-13-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Of course, having the sub-domain is just a failsafe, and Google.com is all that is needed to type in.

You can speculate all day about what Google could do or might do, but the FACTS are Google is not using their .mobi, and from reading their official blog, they have no future plans of doing so.
    This is all sadly true.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

| Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

I hate to be a party pooper, but I try to deal with facts only.

Just in the past few years, Google has launched the following mobile services:

Local Search
    Google Maps for Mobile
    Mobile Gmail
    Google Talk
    Mobile YouTube
    Google SMS
    Google Voice
    and a Mobile Advertising Network (Adsense for Mobile)

Google has been kicking ass on the mobile front, releasing the above products and more. Now ask yourself this question: With everything that Google has done on the mobile front, don't you think that if they were going to promote the .mobi domain, that they would have done it already?

Look, its a big blow, but it doesn't mean the end of .mobi. I suggest that .mobi investors move on. Focus on building great mobile web applications that people will like and find value it. If you do this, then you will be fine.

I suggest that .mobi investors move on. Focus on building great mobile web applications that people will like and find value it. If you do this, then you will be fine.
    Very good advice.

As a domainer's extension, .mobi becomes less attractive with each passing day.

As a developer's extension, it's still a potential goldmine.

Voted, but confused as to why you posted with the username google.mobi.

Look, its a big blow, but it doesn't mean the end of .mobi. I suggest that .mobi investors move on. Focus on building great mobile web applications that people will like and find value it. If you do this, then you will be fine.
    I agree.

Pred

lets not get off topic
    either vote or dont
    lots of other threads to discuss views on where mobi is going or not

google.dot.whatever is not really my point; everything any business does is done in the context of what is relevant to the here & now.
    Businesses also try to be smart enough to work out what is happening tomorrow....

As far as we know, Google don't have big plans for google.mobi BUT as none of us work for Google we can't really comment on what they might do tomorrow as we don't really know.

Also, what they do tomorrow may not be what they do next year... The question is out there today to try and get an answer from the horses mouth!

I don't know about you but I would like to hear what google has to say about dotmobi, regardless of whether or not it is the be-all & end-all for dotmobi.

Quote Originally Posted by Pred View Post
    lets not get off topic
    either vote or dont
    lots of other threads to discuss views on where mobi is going or not

Thank you Pred... let's just keep this thread for the subject in hand....

vote!

I don't know about you but I would like to hear what google has to say about dotmobi, regardless of whether or not it is the be-all & end-all for dotmobi.
    I think Google's actions over the past few years speak volumes about their opinion on the .mobi domain.

Ok... the fun continues; we're making strong progress.... so stop sitting on the sidelines and take a few minutes to vote!

11 - 12 hours left and the google.mobi question is well up the list and is a "HOT" question AND a "TOP" question.....

All you Statesiders coming on line over the next few hours can make sure this question is comfortably in the top 5 questions and hopefully the GOOGLE MOBILE team will answer the question we've all been wanting an official answer to..

Why are Google not promoting Google.mobi?

(Vote... because if you don't, you might never know what the Google team have to say! ;-)

I think Google's actions over the past few years speak volumes about their opinion on the .mobi domain.
    It's only people like us who change opinions Sean.... no one else will do it for us.

Ok this isn't up there with getting womens rights or racial equality but it would be great to know that we all did what we could to engage Google in debate about dotmobi!

It's only people like us who change opinions Sean.... no one else will do it for us.

Ok this isn't up there with getting womens rights or racial equality but it would be great to know that we all did what we could to engage Google in debate about dotmobi!
    I'm going to vote "no" in this matter, for reasons I've specified above, amongst other reasons that I will not list here.

Mobility Regular

What really matters is that just like on Google UK ".co.uk" sites are ranked highly, on Google Mobile ".mobi" sites are ranked highly.

Voted!

We've lit a fire under their a**es - The Question is now

HOT, HOT, HOT!!!

Keep voting and we could soon be reading the answer to the question we've been asking for 3 years!

Pred

I'm going to vote "no" in this matter, for reasons I've specified above, amongst other reasons that I will not list here.
    pretty twattish thing to do imho
    fine not to vote, but to vote no..........

I'm sure Sean didn't mean he was going to take the trouble to log in and vote against the chance of hearing google mobile tell us why they aren't promoting google.mobi!

I think he meant that he was simply saying "no" to voting....

Anyway... we aren't all made the same (thank god... can you imagine more than one Pred.... all those mankinis! )

Keep voting... takes just a few minutes... links in post 1 of this thread..

I'm sure Sean didn't mean he was going to take the trouble to log in and vote against the chance of hearing google mobile tell us why they aren't promoting google.mobi!

I think he meant that he was simply saying "no" to voting....
    That is exactly what I meant. I like to debate here, but I have other things to do. Most notably, I have a mid-term tomorrow afternoon, which is important to me at the moment, no offense.

Twattish huh. Real nice.

Go Go Go!

It really would be helpful to get real answers from Google, not just guesses from our fevered imagination. Not only that but a strong showing on this question will let them know that there is a lot of interest in .Mobi.

Remember - Google owns this website - they are asking for these questions because they want to know what people are thinking.
    http://tibetanjewelry.mobi
    "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. And then you win."
    -Gandhi

Folks, we're currently in second place! The first place question is beating us by only 10 votes now, so c'mon and vote and let's make this the #1 question the Google Mobile team wakes up to in the morning!

I've already voted 6 times! (if you have multiple Google/Gmail accounts, you can vote multiple times).

Let's get that Mobility spirit going! This might be the best damn chance we get to engage Google's attention regarding their .mobi.

Voted 3x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast