Thread: FreeTranslation.mobi - A Free Mobile Translation Service

Thumbs up FreeTranslation.mobi - A Free Mobile Translation Service

Hi folks, I'm very pleased to announce the launch of the latest in my "Free" resources line of sites - and the crown jewel of the set - FreeTranslation.mobi, a Free Mobile Translation Service coded 100% by yours truly on a domain bought from mjnels last month.

It uses the same fast, simple, and user-friendly design you've come to love from the "Free" resources series (e.g. FreeDictionary.mobi and FreeThesaurus.mobi) and can translate between a whopping 52 different languages:

Code:
    Afrikaans
    Albanian
    Arabic
    Belarusian
    Bulgarian
    Catalan
    Chinese (Simplified))
    Chinese (Traditional)
    Croatian
    Czech
    Danish
    Dutch
    English
    Estonian
    Filipino
    Finnish
    French
    Galician
    German
    Greek
    Hebrew
    Hindi
    Hungarian
    Icelandic
    Indonesian
    Irish
    Italian
    Japanese
    Korean
    Latvian
    Lithuanian
    Macedonian
    Malay
    Maltese
    Norwegian
    Persian
    Polish
    Portuguese
    Romanian
    Russian
    Serbian
    Slovak
    Slovenian
    Spanish
    Swahili
    Swedish
    Thai
    Turkish
    Ukrainian
    Vietnamese
    Welsh
    Yiddish
    It translates both single words and full phrases and just like with the rest of the "free" resources series of sites, you can quickly pull the translation between any two pair of languages by simply pairing them up directly in the URL. For example, to quickly translate "Where is the bathroom?" from English to Spanish, you would simply enter the following URL in your browser and skip the form altogether:

Likewise, to translate "Where is the bathroom?" from Spanish to Portuguese, you would enter:

If you prefer (and find it easier to remember), you can also use the long-form of the language pairs you want to translate between:

Probably the best feature, however, has to be the "language detection". If you want to translate a word or phrase and do not know what language it is in, simply use the "xx" code (or "detect" in long-form) to have FreeTranslation.mobi automatically detect the source language. For example, if you want to know the translation of "banheiro" in English and do not know what language it is in, you would enter:

This is an incredibly powerful and versatile feature for when you see a word you do not recognize and do not know what language it is in.

But it doesn't end there. The drop-down list of languages includes a sub-set of the most frequently used languages which themselves are sorted by the most frequently searched translation languages on Google. Plus, every translation includes a handful of links to quickly view the translation in each of the 5-7 most common languages.

Furthermore, if you are translating one or two words to English, it will conveniently include a link to its definition in FreeDictionary.mobi and it's synonyms in FreeThresaurus.mobi:

Likewise, every definition on FreeDictionary.mobi and FreeThesaurus.mobi includes direct links to its translation on FreeTranslation.mobi in each of the 6 most common languages. Considering each of those two sites has over 40,000 definitions indexed on Google, FreeTranslation.mobi should end up with 40,000 x 6 = over 200,000 indexed translations from those links alone.

Forget about apps, this puppy is made to work on ALL internet-enabled mobile phones and scores a 5/5 to prove it.

As if all of the above wasn't enough, the site is incredibly user-friendly and versatile. If you input a wrong "from" code, it automatically goes into "detect language" mode so it doesn't waste your time asking you for the correct language (you're on-the-go, time is precious!):

And if you input a wrong "to" language, it will kindly inform you that it did not recognize the destination language and will list all available languages to translate your original phrase into so that you do not have to re-type anything (you're on-the-go, remember?).

I'm not done. Whenever you translate from one language to another, it will also automatically set the drop-down menu to continue translating between those pairs of languages so that you do not have to keep changing the drop-down menu's when sticking between two languages, saving you both time and thumb taps (did I mention you're on-the-go?):

Similarly, if you want to go straight to the English to French translation page, for example, you can visit the language pair directly with nothing after the last slash, and the drop-down menu will already be set for you automatically:

Interesting anecdote: I was in China earlier this year and I cannot describe to you how useful this site would have been back then. Not a single taxi driver in China speaks or reads English, for example, so if you don't speak Chinese (which I don't), you have to depend on the Concierge to always write down in Chinese exactly where you want to go. With this handy little site, I could have just gone to:

...and showed the Taxi Driver my phone with the translation in Chinese: 带我去紫禁城

To make sure the translation above is correct, let's translate it back into English:

Beautiful.

Not only that, but if you're not in mainland China, you can also translate "to" Traditional Chinese used in Honk Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. Even better, you don't need to tell the site which version of Chinese you're translating "from" as it will automatically detect it when selecting "Chinese" as the source language.

Since this is the 3rd in the "free" resources line of mobile sites, I've created FreeResources.mobi to have them all in one place. The next one up will be FreeEncyclopedia.mobi (although probably not for a while).

Anyway, enough about the that, please play around with FreeTranslation.mobi for a bit and let me know what you love, hate, and would like to see different.

And next time you're in a foreign country and on-the-go, you know where to go!

Thanks folks!
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

rep+ Andres, fantastic! There's an SMS angle to exploit in this as well but I just haven't sorted it out yet.

Folks, don't all jump in at once!

In all fairness, I don't expect anyone to read the pages of text I wrote (it's more for indexing purposes), but definitely check out the site and give me your quick feedback if you can: FreeTranslation.mobi

Thanks!
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

| Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Great site and great service Andres! Clean and simple design. Your coding skills are becoming masterful.

I wouldn't mind having a space between the text field and the dropdowns and then a space between the dropdowns and the button.

Did you design that logo yourself?!

Nice job. rep+ on it's way.

Mobility Regular

Fantastic site -- really glad you won this name as you did it more than justice. Congrats! Best of luck --- I'm sure this one will be a hit!

I am speechless. Never used such a complete translation tool. Tried it with "why", to be translated in several languages. Most of these are taken as a mobi

Also noticed your directory yup.mobi the first time. Nice collection of developed sites there. Congrats!

Abo Apo are Arena ars Benzin Bestellung Bett Cargo Champ Charger Deko descargas Devisen Dirndl Druck Elektro Ferienhaus Galeria Goud heiss Horoscopo ICT inline Jantes Jobboerse Joias Jury Kombi Kreuzfahrt Lichtmit Mobilfunk Moveis Nails Olio Onlinekredit Parfuem pep Pisa Polizei pronto Schlagzeilen Servicio SocialMediaMarketing Spielzeug StockExchange Styling tellTerminal TFT tire Transporter Vaticano viajar vivre was wau Wein wer Zahnarzt Zeit Zubehoer

このサイトでは爆弾が仕掛けられ
    Этот сайт бомба
    Ce site est la bombe

but then I get this...

Sorry, we could not translate 'This site is the bomb' from English to German. Either the phrase is the same in both languages, it does not exist in English, or we do not have a translation for it.

Also wanted to add Andres that your FreeResources.mobi family of sites is a great example of the power of good ideas and strategy without Premium names.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 09-25-2009 at 03:04 PM.