Thread: Developer of the month?.

Question Developer of the month?.

there are many talented developers on this forum that should get recognition.
    Maybe a developer of the month?, quarter?, whatever.
    Just a thought.

I think it is a nice thought, but then how would we handle people using other developers' scripts like site.mobi, scripter.mobi, or mobile wordpress plugins?
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

I think it is a nice thought, but then how would we handle people using other developers' scripts like site.mobi, scripter.mobi, or mobile wordpress plugins?
    now im not saying im up for having a developer of the month...BUT you cant bust balls because a good carpenter uses tools (others have invented) to make a master piece..

((im a glass blower and i use many different peoples( and companies)tools to make what i push off as a piece of art....))

and wouldnt a prized developer use the hard work of others( if legal ) to get what he or she is after..."work smarter not harder"-{{google has you doing work whether you know it or not}}

...if your using php your using someone elses work, right?
    ...if you hook into someones api your using there code and work in a way. right?

just playing devils advocate. no drama argument intended.....

...but just because i use an optimic mold built by someone else dont mean i cant make a nice glass goblet and be accounted for as an accomplished artist...

ps...thanks to all those people that make tools!!!
    Last edited by benflippin; 09-23-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Interesting idea... some would say Mobi of the Month also highlights the developer... but why not a member of the month/year award, or development/event/post of the month award, could be a script, site, publicity, sale etc... I used to go on a forum where they gave a monthly prize - from a sponsor - for having the best tag line in your signature - and there were some VERY funny tag lines. And that forum had annual awards for being knowledgeable, helpful and so on.
    Last edited by gogo; 09-23-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Heh.... I think a good start would be to spark some interest in our existing mobi of the month award.... Pretty laughable that only one or two sites are nominated each month.

Quote Originally Posted by Egnited View Post
    Heh.... I think a good start would be to spark some interest in our existing mobi of the month award.... Pretty laughable that only one or two sites are nominated each month.

Too true! I genuinely think that we're still not ready for the mobile web (as far as infrastructure is concerned). I am with Orange now (was with "3") and I never cease to be amazed at the slow speed of my data connection... and I'm supposed to be in a good area!

I try to visit sites but more often than not I'm timed out or fail to load for one reason or another... mobility is the most consistent site I visit - it pretty much always loads but sometimes my data connection is so slow that even mobility takes 20 seconds to load... The iphone with its relatively small user numbers (as a % of all phone subscribers) is killing the networks data delivery - just imagine what a doubling of users will do to the networks over the next 12 months...

The question isn't is dotmobi dead at all... it's the entire mobile web that's on life support at the moment imho... the problem being that no-one wants to pay for it... who can blame the lack of investment into the infrastructure when there isn't a way of monetizing it yet... it'll take many 100,000's of subscribers at $50 pcm to encourage investment... at the moment we have deals (like mine) with unlimited data, unlimited texts and 1,200 x-network minutes for $72.00 (equivalent) - strip out the call costs and what's left for data delivery?
    The mobile web could yet die on it's feet if investment isn't made.... there are so many wi-fi zones popping up too that the incentive for subscribers to pay up for effective high speed data networks just isn't there!
    I don't want to be alarmist but I'd hazard a guess that we aren't looking at needing a 50% improvement or a 100% or even a 200% improvement...
    My own opinion is, given increasing demand and current quality of service that we need (in the UK at least) a 5000% + increase in mobile data network capacity by 2011... without it, people will treat the mobile web the same way they treated WAP enabled phones 6 - 8 years ago.. as a complete folly.... gimmicks.... useless!

Loads of great devices + a lot of great content + pi** poor data speeds = One bloody great white elephant!

hence.... a general lack of interest in MotM!

(I knew I'd get back on topic in the end)

the MoTM is only for known .mobi sites by established members - so why not add another award for "mobile site/experience of the month/week/year" by anyone, anywhere, on any domain - wouldn't it be good to look at other sites and vote on them?

and why not have a "post of the month" ?

Quote Originally Posted by benflippin View Post
    now im not saying im up for having a developer of the month...BUT you cant bust balls because a good carpenter uses tools (others have invented) to make a master piece..

((im a glass blower and i use many different peoples( and companies)tools to make what i push off as a piece of art....))

and wouldnt a prized developer use the hard work of others( if legal ) to get what he or she is after..."work smarter not harder"-{{google has you doing work whether you know it or not}}

...if your using php your using someone elses work, right?
    ...if you hook into someones api your using there code and work in a way. right?

just playing devils advocate. no drama argument intended.....

...but just because i use an optimic mold built by someone else dont mean i cant make a nice glass goblet and be accounted for as an accomplished artist...

ps...thanks to all those people that make tools!!!
    This post addresses the issue well IMO but still I'm open to sorting out some recognition for mobile development. Chisels have existed for thousands of years but it took a genius carver to use one to create this:

This is appropriately titled Pieta by Michelangelo ... not by chisel.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 09-23-2009 at 01:32 PM.

I'm up for recognizing and celebrating members' success - bring it on!

I actualy considered sudgesting seo of the month as well but I'm a carpenter who uses the tools to build skyskrapers.
    Not to well informed as to how seo can be judged or ranked. Just thought that there would be some interest in the development becouse its something I can physicaly see!. It goes without saying that there is more to it than this one person that developed the site but it also is pretty obviose when that one person utilizes the tools to there best ability and produce's a work of art(web site)
    I still think an SEO recognition would also be in order but am not the best at how this would be accomplished.

Default include all .mobi site, weather a member or not!.

I meant to mention that many sites,SEO and developers dont even come to .mobi but have contributed extensivly to there designs/sites.seo and that it would be a draw to include people and sites and so on from other areas.
    As well astablished as mobility is, there are people that do not utilise the forum and by including ALL sites sudgested by forum members,(weather they are a member or not), you legitimize the process.
    No exclution becouse you just dont happen to be on the forum. If I may be so bold as to say so, It Could be a shot in the arm for mobility when word got out!. ( not that mobility needs it)
    But the concept becomes tranparent. It would become a draw to mobility as well as .mobi in general!.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    the MoTM is only for known .mobi sites by established members - so why not add another award for "mobile site/experience of the month/week/year" by anyone, anywhere, on any domain - wouldn't it be good to look at other sites and vote on them?

and why not have a "post of the month" ?