Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New mTLD-Mobility Webinar: What issues would you like to discuss?

Arrow New mTLD-Mobility Webinar: What issues would you like to discuss?

>> THE WEBINAR RECORDING CAN BE DOWNLOADED HERE.

Hi folks,

In light of recent discussions here at Mobility, mTLD would like to set up a Webinar with Mobility members to discuss our concerns and issues regarding the .mobi extension.

Caroline has asked me to gather a list of 10 issues that you would like mTLD to address. So please list the issues here and I'll compile the list at the bottom of this post.

They haven't set a date yet but are aiming to do the Webinar by the end of next week and have also asked me to agree on a time with members. I believe the last Webinar was held during the PST
    morning (Pacific Standard Time, U.S. West Coast) which seemed to work OK for most people. So please advise if PST morning does not work for you.

I believe there will be no requirements to join this Webinar this time and they will attempt to make it as open and interactive as possible, as per your request.

It is not yet confirmed, but there is a possibility that Trey Harvin, mTLD's CEO, will also be present. I want to thank Caroline and mTLD for taking their time to setup this Webinar for Mobility members, and encourage all of you to take full advantage of this rare opportunity.

I have also asked mTLD that a transcript/recording be made available for those who are unable to attend and will confirm as soon as I hear back.

Once they set a date for the Webinar, I will post it here.

Fire away.

-------------------
    Issues to Discuss:

• Which is Dotmobi's KEY corporate priority? Promoting the mobile web? Or, specifically promoting the brand .mobi?
    • .mobi Trustmark Compliance - History: who decided to stop pursuing enforcement in its original form, when, why, and how was that change of policy communicated? Current status, options & outlook...Dotmobi's current objectives for the .mobi Trustmark concept.
    • Brand Value - Why is .mobi the invisible brand?...What's to be done? When? Consumer Awareness Marketing Campaign? .mobi brand promotion?
    • The 'Large Corporates' .mobi crisis - Does Dotmobi recognise there is a problem? What's gone wrong? What's to be done?
    • Does Dotmobi recognise Smartphone & m.domain as a threat to .mobi? - If so, when did they recognise it? What is/has been the strategy to combat it? How will this be done? What, if any, is Dotmobi's strategy to compete?
    • Current/Future Dotmobi Initiatives - (please lets avoid: 'Great ideas coming - but, we can't tell you what they are'). Caroline mentioned "We have several big projects bubbling up which will add ten times the value to the domain. We hope to share some of that with you shortly." What are they specifically and how will they add value to the TLD? The who/how/when of its implementation.
    • Is Dotmobi solvent?
    • 1 & 2-char RFP Process - Ridiculously slow, few on board, half don't resolve to a .mobi domain. What are the promotional requirements (they seem weak), what don't you require standalone .mobi site (considering domain is free).
    • Premiums - during Landrush it was public information that all Premiums would be released within a specified time frame from the .mobi launch (~6 months or so). That time frame hasn't happened so is there another policy in place and what is it? What's ahead for the Premiums?
    • IDN .mobi's - when do the Chinese IDN's rollout? Will there be marketing for this or will it be left for registrars to push it? Will paid media be used to help with the push? When will other country IDN's come out? More details all round...
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Its great that the Webinar is happening.

But the format needs attention.....Last time, it was essentially a rah-rah-rah sales presentation (+ written submissions on the spot, in response - a mobi reply - and no conversation), rather than a genuine conversation. Very controlled, and controlling.

Issues to discuss:

* Which is Dotmobi's KEY corporate priority? Promoting the mobile web? Or, specifically promoting the brand .mobi?

* .mobi Trustmark Compliance - Current status, options & outlook...Dotmobi's current objectives for the .mobi Trustmark concept.

* Brand Value - Why is .mobi the invisible brand?...What's to be done? When? Consumer Awareness Marketing Campaign? .mobi brand promotion?

* The 'Large Corporates' .mobi crisis - Does Dotmobi recognise there is a problem? What's gone wrong? What's to be done?

* Does Dotmobi recognise Smartphone & m.domain as a threat to .mobi? - If so, when did they recognise it? What is/has been the strategy to combat it? How will this be done? What, if any, is Dotmobi's strategy to compete?

* Current/Future Dotmobi Initiatives - (please lets avoid: 'Great ideas coming - but, we can't tell you what they are').

* Is Dotmobi solvent?

Webinar time: Morning US EAST COAST time, would suit me better...but, I'll work in with whatever...

Last edited by DomainTalker; 08-13-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Domainers decreasing brand value of .mobi: Option to force-drop undeveloped domain names.

I know that i will get crucified by many members here for suggesting this very Visible and Logical problem. The value of dot mobi decreases if people just register a domain, sit on it for years but don't develop it. Maybe mobi should keep money making sense aside and penalize non-developed domains and domainers by blocking them from renewing the domain. Andres yourself have a list of enviable domain names - but some are not developed, ultimately they will be developed that's sure. Do this and the brand will ultimately grow, mobility will not have to run after corporates to get due recognition.

More explanation: Taking one of Andres domain as example again, when people search for the term islam, does islam.mobi turn up? Relevency? Exposure? Nothing!!! Search engines are the best medium to make netizens visit dot mobis. The power to drop is there with mobility but they will (pardon me for this) 'chicken' out of it citing legal hassles.

P.S : I picked upon andres only to give an example, he already has done so very much for dot mobis i really respect him. I could not write upon any other member as i would have been felecited with very undelightful words.

Pred

RFP Process - Ridiculously slow, and the few on board ,half don't resolve to a .mobi domain
    The lame excuse given by mtld is as long as there's promotion
    well, what's promotion?
    one paragraph on a pc site........... a superbowl ad, and the gulf in between

To resolve on the .mobi url, for a domain you're giving free, has the be the first thing you put down in the stipulations, and contract.
    Like maradonna was the first name down on the argentine first 11 selection sheet, like i'm the first name on carolines christmas hamper list

How do people find sites? direct navigation and search
    search is the biggie, as it will grow even bigger than it is now as the main way to find a site.
    I'm talking for small to medium sites which is what we're discussing now.
    If the site is a redirect to m. or whatever, the .mobi effectively doesnt exist. It cannot be found, it aint indexed in search engines. Goodnight Vienna.
    The fact you're giving these domains away, and not making this a condition, and sitting back on the loose term, that they must promote is the single stupidest thing mtld have allowed to happen.

This is very important, VERY important to sort out. Imperative

Promotion

Everyone wants to see some direct marketing for the .mobi domain by mtld. You've made a lot of cash, i know you're moving in the mobile marketing arena, but don't ignore your core product, as noone is marketing it like you'd hoped. Time to take the wallet out, we've stuffed it pretty nice for you, start spending some. Intelligent marketing and cost effective, but do it, not soon, now.

That'll do for now, i'll let others mention what they feel is important
    Last edited by Pred; 08-13-2009 at 03:43 PM.

One of my questions would be about the google algorythm, when will they add .mobi/mobile to the equation. When I search on my iPhone using google I get .com results, I don't want non mobile sites on my phone unless I ask for them.

I know google is a different company but they are one of the major share holders.

Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    Andres yourself have a list of enviable domain names - but some are not developed...
    Personally, I'd rather that envy is not a guiding principle of the registry. Also please don't forget that the greatest undeveloped .mobi portfolio is held by mTLD. While development is important, it's the quality development on par with Andres' dating.mobi, FreeDictionary.mobi, horoscope.mobi, etc.. that matters. But regulating content quality is a mind-boggling proposition that is already proving difficult in regards to the currently released Premiums. Will this developed ( I use the term loosely) Premium gem move the .mobi extension forward? I think we can all agree that the answer is clearly no.

However, this does lead me to another mTLD policy shift question, during Landrush it was public information that all Premiums would be released within a specified time frame from the .mobi launch (I believe it was 6 months or so). Obviously that time frame hasn't happened and I'd like to know if another policy is in place and what it is? The point of this question isn't the same old brow-beating about unannounced changes, I ask because it would be useful for planning purposes to know what's ahead for Premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post

I have also asked mTLD that a transcript/recording be made available for those who are unable to attend and will confirm as soon as I hear back.
    A recording of the webinar slides and discussion is a MUST IMO to be available for later viewing. Mobility is an international community spanning the globe, to expect everyone who is interested to be available at the same time is an impossible proposition.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 08-13-2009 at 04:04 PM.

I will send my suggestions in a pm.
    Last edited by coast; 08-18-2009 at 07:23 PM.

.mobi Trustmark Compliance - History; who decided to stop pursuing enforcement in its original form, when, why, and how was that change of policy communicated?

All of my other questions have been addressed in the list.

Mobility Member

may be dotmobi should use start marketing using format like : http://www.co.cc

Members 1,792,394
    Affiliates 62,822
    Domains 2,789,164
    Zones 2,528,011
    Records 689,295
    Forwarding 1,344,820
    Last edited by markfield; 08-13-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: wrong html display
    Domain Parking Information

http://tinyurl.com/domain-parking

Pred

idn:

recent news about chinese idn .mobi

when does it rollout? will there be marketing for this? or will it be left for registrars to do. will you actually use some paid media to help with the push?

when will other country idns come out?
    is russia next

more details all round.

also, please get an office junior to update the blog at least weekly as its very lame at minute to be honest.
    ('no news is good news, is true only when you're in the sh*t )

also why does the blog.mobi redirect to the typepad thang

surely that should a stand alone .mobi?
    sheesh

i mentioned these two points on the blog with no expletives and without stuff in commas and was extremely polite
    vance deleted them within seconds. this was few weeks ago

I suggest that unless there is an absolute guarantee of the following made first, we should all boycott this and refrain from proposing or discussing possible topics:

1. There must be a written transcript published on the web within 48 hours of the webinar.

2. There must be facility to put questions. This must be functional, and the functionality must be tested before webinar commences. If it is not functional at the time of the webinar, the webinar does not take place.

3. 50% of the time allotted to the webinar must be allotted to questions posed in response to the statements made in the webinar.

4. Dotmobi must make a public statement either formally abandoning their standards and enforcement, or asserting that they are still in place. This is the central feature of mobi, and there has been a total breakdown of trust on this issue. Without a definitive statement on this there is nothing to talk about, and there can be no confidence in Dotmobi and hence no point talking to them.

for info, the previous webinar was a one-way broadcast. It was promised that you could pose questions on the content at the end, but 3 minutes out of the 60 were allotted to this and no one was actually able to submit a question. Was the submit function turned off? The whole thing seemed aimed at getting people to renew domains - note the timing of the current one, pre-renewals and in the midst of a storm about the compliance / enforcment issue.

In fact why not just have MTLD just give written answers to those questions? What is the point of the webinar? Is it actually to try to avoid questions and kill discussion here, and distract us with an apparently generous offer to actually talk for once with, I mean to, the people who pay MTLD's bills? Don't take your eye off the ball, people. MTLD have already let you down massively and not been straight with you - why would they stop?

In fact why doesn't MTLD's CEO or Chairman of the Board get over here straightaway and answer questions in the live threads about the trustmark and the solvency of MTLD?
    I'm all in favour of dialogue - when it is dialogue, not stage-managed presentation and evasion.
    Last edited by gogo; 08-13-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Mobility Regular

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    In fact why doesn't MTLD's CEO or Chairman of the Board get over here straightaway and answer questions in the live threads about the trustmark and the solvency of MTLD?[/B] I'm all in favour of dialogue - when it is dialogue, not stage-managed presentation and evasion.
    I agree, I was traveling for the last webinar and jumped through hoops to line up phone and internet. I was then unfortunately disappointed by the substance of the presentation. We are pretty well informed about mtld goings on, so we already knew about 90% of what was covered in the last webinar already.

This webinar looks to be a little more focused but still, why waste all the resources on webinar slickness, down and dirty text information is just as useful.

Would it be possible for Andres to just post the questions here, and have mtld respond in text form to each item. We don't need diagrams or lists of bullet points to understand. All the effort to create the ppt presentation and line up all the call-in numbers and multiple mtld staff on the call, can be focused instead on providing more comprehensive text responses here.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    for info, the previous webinar was a one-way broadcast. It was promised that you could pose questions on the content at the end, but 3 minutes out of the 60 were allotted to this and no one was actually able to submit a question. Was the submit function turned off? The whole thing seemed aimed at getting people to renew domains - note the timing of the current one, pre-renewals and in the midst of a storm about the compliance / enforcment issue.

In fact why not just have MTLD just give written answers to those questions? What is the point of the webinar? Is it actually to try to avoid questions and kill discussion here, and distract us with an apparently generous offer to actually talk for once with, I mean to, the people who pay MTLD's bills? Don't take your eye off the ball, people. MTLD have already let you down massively and not been straight with you - why would they stop?

In fact why doesn't MTLD's CEO or Chairman of the Board get over here straightaway and answer questions in the live threads about the trustmark and the solvency of MTLD?
    I'm all in favour of dialogue - when it is dialogue, not stage-managed presentation and evasion.
    I attended the cj.com webinar and their software had the function to turn on everyones microphone for discusion, they didn't but still the option is available.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by youmo View Post
    why waste all the resources on webinar slickness, down and dirty text information is just as useful.

Would it be possible for Andres to just post the questions here, and have mtld respond in text form to each item. We don't need diagrams or lists of bullet points to understand. All the effort to create the ppt presentation and line up all the call-in numbers and multiple mtld staff on the call, can be focused instead on providing more comprehensive text responses here.

Webinars are fine especially if I have the chance to talk and interact, but if it is a one way presentation then I'd rather read posts or blogs or watch the presentation when it fits into my schedule.

Webinar are nice way to discuss issues, but there is usually a time limit and many issues will not get the amount time that that they needs.

I vote for something else:

why not get a list questions that many of us have then ask mTLD to answer them on this thread?

domainitrix

As can be sensed by the previous comments on the last Webinar, I think the key feelings that I walked away from the last event was bitter sweet. In fact I think it was somewhat counterproductive. Translation= I felt , attendees, including myself, slighted.

More important than what YOU say is how you feel about ME. Do you respect me?
    In business context, this is still very important it seems. It leaves a seed that will sprout and take root, soon a full blown tree. I don't expect dotMOBI to hold my hand and read poems with me. Just a gesture(understanding of my shoes), the " vibe" , unless this is felt and many here's position understood, really, I don't know if webinar will be a success or if it will create more distance.

Mobility Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    Personally, I'd rather that envy is not a guiding principle of the registry. Also please don't forget that the greatest undeveloped .mobi portfolio is held by mTLD. While development is important, it's the quality development on par with Andres' dating.mobi, FreeDictionary.mobi, horoscope.mobi, etc.. that matters. But regulating content quality is a mind-boggling proposition that is already proving difficult in regards to the currently released Premiums. Will this developed ( I use the term loosely) Premium gem move the .mobi extension forward? I think we can all agree that the answer is clearly no.

However, this does lead me to another mTLD policy shift question, during Landrush it was public information that all Premiums would be released within a specified time frame from the .mobi launch (I believe it was 6 months or so). Obviously that time frame hasn't happened and I'd like to know if another policy is in place and what it is? The point of this question isn't the same old brow-beating about unannounced changes, I ask because it would be useful for planning purposes to know what's ahead for Premiums.

A recording of the webinar slides and discussion is a MUST IMO to be available for later viewing. Mobility is an international community spanning the globe, to expect everyone who is interested to be available at the same time is an impossible proposition.

Excellent input as always, Scandi ---

Mobility Regular

I just want to know why the hell can't they hire anyone who can think creatively on a global scale.
    The revolving door employment policy is not cutting it.
    There must be a reason why they can't hire and/or retain any top level talent!
    There appears to be no visionary thinking.
    The lack of marketing foresight is appalling at best, a really bad word at worst.
    Even the intellectual arrogance could be forgiven if they could back it up with something substantial!
    Hell, anything!
    At this point, these rookies are running this TLD deeper into the ground that they can't seem to get off of.
    Help from these guys? They will have to surprise me!
    Again, the entrepreneur with good ideas will win in this mobile space.
    And as such, it appears that we are on our own to carve out what we may!
    Frustrating? Maybe. Disappointing? Perhaps. Challenging? Oh, yeah!!!
    I, for one, love a good challenge!
    I know others here do as well!
    Carpe Diem!
    Regards, cobo

mobile *** why.mobi *** global
    HighYield + Philanthropy = Paradigm Shift

If'n I didn't already know better I would think your up a tree! But I had the pleasure of meeting you and know you to be such a genuinely good and positive guy. COOOOBOOO!
    Quote Originally Posted by cobo View Post
    I just want to know why the hell can't they hire anyone who can think creatively on a global scale.
    The lack of marketing foresight is appalling at best, a really bad word at worst.
    Even the intellectual arrogance could be forgiven if they could back it up with something substantial!
    Hell, anything!
    At this point, these rookies are running this TLD deeper into the ground that they can't seem to get off of.
    Carpe Diem!

Mobility Regular

Hehe, thanks T.
    Behind the smile are my fangs.
    Just needed to vent a bit.
    Much better now.
    Regards, cobo

mobile *** why.mobi *** global
    HighYield + Philanthropy = Paradigm Shift

Quote Originally Posted by cobo View Post
    Hell, anything!
    Carpe Diem!

Best post I've read all day.....

that about sums it up
    Last edited by pcaero; 08-14-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Mobility Regular

Quote Originally Posted by pcaero View Post
    Best post I've read all day.....

that about sums it up
    That was a great post, and actually some great ones here from many members.

Let's hope MTLD hears the rallying cry!

As an investor in Dutch domains...WHEN WILL FOREIGN LANGUAGE PREMIUMS BE AVAILABLE !!!!!!

During all premium auctions I haven't seen 1 dutch name ! (well...auto.mobi, but that's multilangual)

Martin
    <signature police forced me to remove my image that was too large and had nothing to do with a mobi site >

Autodisk.mobi - all dutch carspecs | Manage all your holiday accommodations with our online manager.

Related to the compliance discussion is this latest news that was blogged about by mTLD, the publicity of MarksAndSpencer.mobi.. http://dotmobi.typepad.com/dotmobi/2...bi-sample.html

The enthusiasm of .mobi publicity by a retail giant I completely understand, but it is significantly offset by the fact that MarksAndSpencer.mobi resolves to a fully PC site on my phone. Here we have a retail giant publicizing .mobi (good) but using it in a way that is completely contrary to the objectives of mTLD (bad) which was recently described here for us... "To be clear - we have not changed our objective: quality content that meets basic formatting rules."

I'm really confused here by the mixed messages so my question for mTLD is: To help everyone clearly and better understand the existing compliance process, how exactly will mTLD in the example of MarksAndSpencer.mobi reach the stated mTLD objective of "quality content that meets basic formatting rules"? And will these targeted efforts (if any) happen in a timely fashion such that the benefits of the publicity aren't outweighed by the .mobi brand dilution caused by consumers confusion when they visit a .mobi site on their phone and encounter a fully PC site (which is what compliance was intended to avoid)?
    Last edited by Scandiman; 08-14-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Marksandspencer.mobi scores 1/5 on ready.mobi.
    Last edited by coast; 08-18-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Founding Member

APPS are where it's at for the mobile internet currently. Google, Microsoft, and Nokia all have APPS stores. Can MTLD work with these partners and offer premium, 1 and 2 char, and perhaps reserved names to top application developers? This would be a great way to make sure names go to the best fit for the premium name program as soon as possible. In my eyes, if Premium and 1 and 2 char Mobis can be marketed correctly they should be a coveted prize for top app developers.

App developers are the new guys that need a great mobile domain name for marketing their mobile internet products and services RIGHT NOW. The exposure brought to MOBI would be tremendous. My 2 cents..
    C.T. Kirkpatrick
    Austin Texas
    Akron.mobi

Mobility Regular

Quote Originally Posted by think View Post
    APPS are where it's at for the mobile internet currently. Google, Microsoft, and Nokia all have APPS stores. Can MTLD work with these partners and offer premium, 1 and 2 char, and perhaps reserved names to top application developers? This would be a great way to make sure names go to the best fit for the premium name program as soon as possible. In my eyes, if Premium and 1 and 2 char Mobis can be marketed correctly they should be a coveted prize for top app developers.

App developers are the new guys that need a great mobile domain name for marketing their mobile internet products and services RIGHT NOW. The exposure brought to MOBI would be tremendous. My 2 cents..
    Apps are not necessarily the future of the mobile internet. Web based services most likely are. The names should go to mobile web developers, not mobile application developers. As you point out most mobile apps are delivered via the app stores not from branded websites. Yes these branded sites exists, but they probably do not receive a ton of traffic. Now if you could get the app stores using .mobi, that would be good. Something like ovi.mobi!

Mobility Regular

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    Marksandspencer.mobi scores 1/5 on ready.mobi. Promoting it sends the message that one approves of a site that does not load as an accepted use of a .mobi. Is that the message to send out? I think not. I felt the same way when I read promotional material for TimMcGraw.mobi, a 3/5 site at the time. This site is far worse from a usability standpoint.
    Just tried to pull up marksanadspence.mobi on mobi blackberry-

HTTP Error 413: Request Entity Too Large

I agree with most things to discuss that Andres and others mentioned.
    I would ADD the following :
    1/WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE TO TRANSFER A DOTMOBI (and even register a dotmobi)? (MORE expensive then other GTLD's !)

2/WHY ARE RENEWALS SO EXPENSIVE ? (MORE expensive then other GTLD's !)

3/The IDN-issue I find also important. When follows dotmobi, and not only with chinese characters, but with é ú à etc....? AND WILL THERE BE A PERIOD OF RESERVATION WITH IDN'S ?. :
    When IDN'S were introduced last year with the .ES-extension from Spain, people who owned a domain WITHOUT the accent or special character like niño, for instance nino.es or the one who posessed f.i. "ole.es", could for some months before GO LIVE, ASK RESERVATION of the corresponding IDN-NAME.es to the registry AND GET THE IDN of the doimain they already HAD, RESERVED FOR THEM. So to get "niño" (the IDN-name of nino) and in the 2nd example "olé" , (the IDN-name of "ole") The period these owners could ask that was not long, as far as I know 1 or 2 months. Afterwards there was Go live and when nobody asked "niño" or "olé", other persons who did NOT own "nino" or "ole", could register "niño" or "olé" from the GO-LIVE-date on. What do other Mobilitymember think about this ?

4/And also the not-releasing of the premium domains is very annoying.

5/And what is indeeed done with m.domain.com and also domain.com/mobi or domain.com/mobile ? CAN4T THIS BE HANDLED WITH VERISIGN or ICANN ????

6/And what with dottel : Will there come URL-forwoarding of dottel, then that's a threat to dotmobi !!??

7/Another question In relation to the IDN : WILL SYMBOLS LIKE the Yensign, the Eurosign (= €.mob! ) , etc... be allowed as domains ????

Kind regards to all of you,
    Mobidomainer
    Last edited by Mobidomainer; 08-15-2009 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Added something

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast