Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wordpress 2.8 Released

  1. #1
    Senior Member seanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,199

    Arrow Wordpress 2.8 Released

    From the Wordpress.org Blog:
    "I’m very excited to announce to everyone that the latest and greatest version of WordPress, version 2.8 “Baker,” is immediately available for download. 2.8 represents a nice fit and finish release for WordPress with improvements to themes, widgets, taxonomies, and overall speed. We also fixed over 790 bugs. This release is named in honor of noted trumpeter and vocalist Chet Baker. Here’s a quick video overview of everything in the new release..."

    http://wordpress.org/development/2009/06/wordpress-28/

    Make sure to update your Wordpress installations!
    Last edited by seanboy; 06-11-2009 at 05:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member developmy.mobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Just downloaded it and installed. Look forward to this new version.

  3. #3
    Senior Member seanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by developmy.mobi View Post
    Just downloaded it and installed. Look forward to this new version.
    I like the new theme browser. Very nice.

  4. #4
    Mobility Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg SA
    Posts
    44

    Default what no mobi?

    Although Wordpress is clearly ahead of Drupal and Joomla in the mobile stakes it still does a big release without mention of mobile - (apart from one reference to the iphone viewport).

    Would be great to see one of the big open source cms's really prioritise mobi but doesn't seem to be happening yet.

  5. #5
    Senior Member seanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mobihead View Post
    Although Wordpress is clearly ahead of Drupal and Joomla in the mobile stakes it still does a big release without mention of mobile - (apart from one reference to the iphone viewport).

    Would be great to see one of the big open source cms's really prioritise mobi but doesn't seem to be happening yet.
    There are plenty of free mobile plugins to use with Wordpress.

  6. #6
    Mobility Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg SA
    Posts
    44

    Default Exactly

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobihead
    Although Wordpress is clearly ahead of Drupal and Joomla in the mobile stakes it still does a big release without mention of mobile - (apart from one reference to the iphone viewport).

    Would be great to see one of the big open source cms's really prioritise mobi but doesn't seem to be happening yet.


    There are plenty of free mobile plugins to use with Wordpress.

    --------------------

    Exactly - they are all plugins - NO CORE - unless they put mobile as center stage with desktop all mobi will ever be to wordpress is a plugin.

  7. #7
    Senior Member developmy.mobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    I'm using it on www.dvw.mobi

    However I feel that I need to make my own mobile templates, as Alex King's looked like $hit on my blackjack II, I don't want ads on it, so Andy Moore's script wont do, and mTLD's is OKAY, but I have to build the mobile template first.

    Needless to say, I do like being able to browse for templates/plugins, etc.

    Dave

  8. #8
    Senior Member seanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mobihead View Post
    Exactly - they are all plugins - NO CORE - unless they put mobile as center stage with desktop all mobi will ever be to wordpress is a plugin.
    That's not what Automattic (the company that created Wordpress) does. They developed an open source blogging platform, then a community of developers makes themes and plugins for use on that platform. There is no need to make mobile the core or Wordpress. That makes absolutely no sense at all. You need to realize that dotMobi is just a domain extension, and not a development platform, or a plugin.
    Last edited by seanboy; 06-12-2009 at 05:56 PM.

  9. #9
    Mobility Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg SA
    Posts
    44

    Default fine - just making what i think is valid argument

    Quote Originally Posted by seanboy View Post
    That's not what Automattic (the company that created Wordpress) does. They developed an open source blogging platform, then a community of developers makes themes and plugins for use on that platform. There is no need to make mobile the core or Wordpress. That makes absolutely no sense at all. You need to realize that dotMobi is just a domain extension, and not a development platform, or a plugin.
    thanks ...
    Um..
    not dotmobi - mobile web in general ..
    not the core .. part of the core ..
    that's not what they do .. companies evolve
    not sold on your thinking .. you're not sold on mine .. let's agree to differ eh..

Similar Threads

  1. RickyCadden.com and Wordpress Mobile 3.0
    By Scavenger in forum Mobile Industry News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
  2. Wordpress for Mobile !
    By Ehsan in forum Mobile Web Design
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 09:07 AM
  3. For you bloggers and wordpress people
    By mediaadvantages in forum News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 03:11 PM
  4. wordpress mobile
    By noonoo1 in forum News & Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
A Yup.mobi Mobile Site
Mobile Dating