Thread: .mobi lagging behind country codes

Default .mobi lagging behind country codes

It's been reported on dnjournal that all gtlds sales except .com are lagging behind cctlds, all a bit depressing really.

cctlds are catching up where .com has left them standing for years.... Don't over look the fact that the internet is an ever expanding market - not static!

Every new cctld site doesn't mean the loss of a corresponding site elsewhere... the cctld market is coming of age, as it should.
    I have never been convinced about the .com market... why should it be 'all powerful'?
    The other extensions are marginal, except dotmobi - because dotmobi is being used as a 'pairing' for other extensions, not an 'either, or' situation..

Dotmobi has a long way to go but it also has the best potential for growth; it's starting at a lower base so the growth is almost by default...

For a $10,000 dotcom to add 10% of value it has to grow $1,000 but 10% growth on dotmobis is far less of a challenge.
    Yields on mobi domain flips are impressive even if the numbers are smaller... how many dotcom domains you you see flipped at 200% - 300% even 1,000% these days?

Maybe I live in a bubble of false optimism but I see good news every day and can see dotmobi growing in use year in, year out for the next 10 years...

Just my take on things...

Pred

cctlds had a head start of 10 years on .mobi
    .com, .org, .net, .edu had 10 years start on them

we aint 3 years in.

plus, .mobi isn't really in competetion with anyone. itstruly global. so the potential for growth is the biggest

personally for a new start up, i would prefer .com of course
    but i would like .co.uk so not to lose traffic in my own country and i would of course want the .mobi to offer a mobile compliant site or even as a cool memorable to download the app from

i am also happy running with the .mobi from the startup if i cant get the com or they want a telephone number
    personally on the type of sites i do i want global appeal so .com and .mob fit the bill
    others dont

there is no blanket rule though. sometimes you may want to run with the cctld. but having the mobi as well or just on own is a really cool option. more and more will see this imho
    instant mobilizer on its own should help this

i too of course want to see more .mobi sales, but again theres a lot that can be handregged thats ideal. in .co.uk and .nl theres not. its saturated
    hence the prices and consumer awareness also

thats why i say we need more domain speculators and investors involved as well as development. this is an important thing for people to realise. .com, .co.uk etc wouldn't have their values without domainers. .mobi will be the same, so don't knock it

of course development is hugely important and we need people to fing useful interesting sites, and word to spread.
    its not one or other. its both.

but we do need to start seeing more billboard campaigns or tv adverts. its how joe bloggs hears about things

Thanks guys, i had a weak moment for an hour or so.

Funnily enough i was also reading that the creator of domain name extentions were only going to go ahead with cctld's but some berk suggested .com as a gTld, look what happened there.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Pred View Post

i too of course want to see more .mobi sales, but again theres a lot that can be handregged thats ideal. in .co.uk and .nl theres not. its saturated
    hence the prices and consumer awareness also

thats why i say we need more domain speculators and investors involved as well as development. this is an important thing for people to realise. .com, .co.uk etc wouldn't have their values without domainers. .mobi will be the same, so don't knock it
    I've wondered about this - if all the domains are bought up then asking prices go up... but will endusers want to pay those prices?

We all talk a lot about how to promote mobi awareness and either demand or use, but do we really know how an end user decides to go for a mobi? It's a confusing subject.

IMO mobi is a two for one offer - a GTLD name that gets preferential treatment by search engines for mobile search.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    I've wondered about this - if all the domains are bought up then asking prices go up... but will endusers want to pay those prices?

We all talk a lot about how to promote mobi awareness and either demand or use, but do we really know how an end user decides to go for a mobi? It's a confusing subject.

IMO mobi is a two for one offer - a GTLD name that gets preferential treatment by search engines for mobile search.

Endusers have always been prepared to pay for the right name... they are the only buyers out there who will buy a domain name because they have the desire for that domain, the need for that domain and the lack of alternatives to that domain..

Domainers, investors will never be as motivated to buy any individual domain...

the truth is that some end users will pay a premium of $200 over & above reg fee and they will consider that they paid a premium price because thay got the name they wanted..

On the other hand, some investors won't touch $200 domains... investors and end users come in all shapes & sizes... but as a rule, given any specific domain, the end-user will be the one that pays the highest price for that specific domain name... regardless of whether it last sold for $200 or $2,000,000

Of course, the hardest part is finding a buyer for the domains you are wanting to sell... that's not so easy of course!

Pred

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post

bingo

the pc site and the mobile one

also, even google is being extremely slow and narrow minded in the mobile front at minute. stopping their mobile adsense, not filtering mobile results as they should

in the words of bonnie langford:
    'pith poor and abythmal!'

I currently webmaster a site for a brick and mortar store here in vancouver. The owner isnt interested in the .com (squatted) as well as the .mobi (squatted). She owns the trademark for the name and has been using it for 29 years now. She only needs the .ca because it comes in #1 result when you google anything to do with her store. She says (and i agree) it isnt worth the 3k in wipo fees to get the two names into her possession.
    Pred and newdomainer are 100% correct, we have only been in the game for over 2 1/2 years with mobi.
    Google has been a bit of a pain the past year with its mobile search results but i still manage to get 1/2 million visitors a month to my sites.
    http://bmx.mobi/stats.gif
    In time has more and more people know the .mobi namespace traffic will increase.
    Cheers
    Rob
    Names Sold In 2009: Cant keep track
    http://mobisitetrader.com http://develops.mobi

plus, .mobi isn't really in competetion with anyone. itstruly global. so the potential for growth is the biggest

Exactly.
    But there is more to justify exponential growth for this extension.
    When the Internet and .com came into the scene, the number of people that had a device to interact with that new medium was low, and growing steadiy but very slowly compared to the number of people that has a mobile phone and the rate of growth in this area.
    Example: my mother has only had a computer that was given to her. However, in the last 5 years she has had 3 mobile phones.

The rate of adoption of mobile technology and its market potential is staggering, and as Pred said -if dotmobi is able to become the standard- it is not an "either or" situation. Dotmobi complements other extensions, doesn't threaten them, at least in theory.
    Javier Marti _/_/_/_/ Founder, futurist, consultant
    Trendirama.com, Trendinews.com, Trendirama.TV
    Author of "Mobile, Domains & The Future"

Living and Lovin in North Carolina, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by noonoo1 View Post
    It's been reported on dnjournal that all gtlds sales except .com are lagging behind cctlds, all a bit depressing really.
    There are perhaps a thousand times more domainers that do not like .mobi than do. But they like everything else.

To me, that means a thousand times more domains parked than there are .mobi sites.

Domainers don't built sites. They pay outrageous amounts of money to park.

Pred

Quote Originally Posted by noonoo1 View Post

Funnily enough i was also reading that the creator of domain name extentions were only going to go ahead with cctld's but some berk suggested .com as a gTld, look what happened there.
    yeah, i read that too. was ron i think on dnjournal. cant find link.
    for benefit of everyone as almost no-one knew this, until now.

apparently when they were sitting round in their flannel trousers and bifocals working out what to do, they were set on cctlds. nothing else. someone was going on and on about .com for companies or whatever. in the end they said 'let them have it, noone will want them anyway'

onto what Javier said, it's true , everyone now is a potential customer of .mobi or a visitor. well, soon
    whereas for the computer, people really only started coming online in their masses in 96,97
    moreso 2000 onwards. developed world that is.

to put things really in perspective about the web back in the early to mid nineties and what we're seeing with the mobile web, see a small article i did back in Jan
    http://okok.com/early-web-days-revisited/

it's jaw dropping. look how many websites there were in 93 and 94

whilst there is one web, and there will be a host of ways to access mobile sites, not just .mobi
    .mobi can be a big player. millions of people who have never gone online before, seniors, youngsters............... will do . everyone, will have to

for many. they will only know one web. the mobile internet.
    the pc you're sitting on will be in the garage in a few years and you won't get 10 bucks at a boot sale
    (that's trunk sale to you guys lol)

banks etc will make it with cutbacks etc and mobile payments that you'll have no choice. just like they make it so that every adult has to have a card, even if not credit, EVERYONE has a debit card etc
    Last edited by Pred; 05-17-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Mobility Regular

I think we should be even more optimistic than all the posts above. Mobile will be THE internet, mobile will rule, mobile websites will be the norm, etc etc.

When this happens there will be no more discussion about the merits of owning a mobi to compliment another main TLD. Mobi is a perfectly good stand alone name. I know you all know this, but I don't think we need to temper our expectations with reference to the current market. We will prevail through this era of doubt and downplaying. Lets say it how we think it is, we are in the right place. Our risks and long term vision will be rewarded.

Pred

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by youmo View Post
    I think we should be even more optimistic than all the posts above. Mobile will be THE internet, mobile will rule, mobile websites will be the norm, etc etc.

When this happens there will be no more discussion about the merits of owning a mobi to compliment another main TLD. Mobi is a perfectly good stand alone name. I know you all know this, but I don't think we need to temper our expectations with reference to the current market. We will prevail through this era of doubt and downplaying. Lets say it how we think it is, we are in the right place. Our risks and long term vision will be rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by youmo View Post

You know something! - You're right.... I think many of us are scared to be seen to be as confident as we were and would still like to be... we end up talking ourselves down too much.

This economy is enough to make the most bullish feel bearish... myself included (not least because business on the 'outside' is bloody hard right now)...

THE internet will be Mobile.... Mobile will be THE internet..

Now.. where shall we have that Beach party? (Over to you Pred)

Pred

Quote Originally Posted by newdomainer View Post

Now.. where shall we have that Beach party? (Over to you Pred)
    my dream

although first we all gotta have some icy cold beers bohemia style.
    that happens when google or facebook or the like go mobi properly

Your dream is to be in the Shawshank Redemption?

Mobility Regular

Ok, slight clause. I am basing my optimism on development of certain decent generic and premium names. For these I am very optimistic. For my other generics/dictionary words but not premiums, I am just expecting a profit of some kind. Some name sales I will be surprised with, some I will just be content with. If all goes well with the premiums I wont be too bothered with the rest. If growth of the premiums is less than hoped then I will build out more names. So the overall business strategy is to relentlessly learn and build, and roll with the punches.

I say the beach party should be in summer 2010

Pred

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Your dream is to be in the Shawshank Redemption?
    lol

i'm currently crawling through a tunnel of ****

bring on the final act

shawshank 2

'red' is 'pred'

lol

bring on the final act

shawshank 2

'red' is 'pred'
    AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.. .

Lord How could I have forgotten that .

I am about to bust my gut laughing so hard.

lol

bring on the final act

shawshank 2

'red' is 'pred'

Speaking of $hit, I got 10 new followersi n twitter this week for Poopdotmobi "thats my twitter nam'. Plus I am bulding a movie critic/sports site based upon Wordpress. "it will be called Holy****.mobi"

I am not charging my friend for anything, but in return I am advertising
    N-J.mobi all over his movie critic/sports site.

Reason #1 He works for NJ Transit which is large in my area. (Huge facebook following of alot of NJ Transit employees.

Reason #2 He has the loudest mouth ever and talks peoples ears off (mostly about movies and sports) and they listen.

Reason #3 He rides the train about 8 times a day talking with his passengers and most use the iphone/black berry.

Reason #4 I want to spread N-J.mobi.pkus other sites to them to keep checking and .mobi in general. I will have adds all over his movie critic/sports blog site.

I guess my point is to be creative in launching your .mobis, now N-J.mobi is based off of Local portal which works great. Over facebook after posting on his wall that he will have his own movie critic site, (His friends were estatic, that is all the guy talks about)

What I am trying to say, do your own planning to launch/market and it will happen Just like Andy Duphraine that crawled through Poop.

My friend also has a few hundred on fae book and once his site is up he will keep updating his status for his reviews.
    Last edited by thebiffenator; 05-17-2009 at 10:50 PM.