Thread: New YouTube feature

Default New YouTube feature

Hi again,

I've been playing around with adding some videos to an upcoming site using another one of the new "goodies"

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get them to work yet. I've followed published directions and I'm seeing the video, but it can't be played.

I tried it yesterday on my sons Motorola Razr and the play feature did not highlight

On a PC, using FireFox, I get this message:
    Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rtsp) isn't associated with any program.
    On explorer, it simply leads me to a page saying this can't be displayed or doesn't load at all.

WIP I'm not support for site.mobi but FYI I do know that there is a problem with mobile on the web since there are not standards. For example, phones with Qualcomm chips can't read some formats, and a different format is typically used in Europe than there is in the US. Even if they fix this problem, some of your mobile users still won't be able to access the videos. The supported formats are controlled by your MIME types.
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

Hi WIP here's one of your video urls

rtsp://eweh.rtsp-youtube.l.google.com/CkcLENy73wIaPgk8unW3HLqvuRMYESARFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSA RSBXdhdGNoWg5DbGlja1RodW1ibmFpbGDsxfLcp92YlKsBDA==/0/0/0/video.3gp

it's a 3gp video (see end of url) in a streaming protocol called rtsp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Ti...aming_Protocol

if I click on these in firefox it asks me what application I want to open it with.

In windows you can get various free packs of codecs for windows media player which, as I recall, inlcude 3gp, but you'll need to check.

HTH.

Thanks (and reps for the effort) to both of you. It sounds like MSG might have a task in hand figuring this out. I was really hoping this would be a workable addition as it would add so much to many future projects.

From what I'm hearing and understanding though, typical PC visitors and the majority of mobile visitors can't play these videos. If this is the case, why bother?

That url is exactly the same url you get for a vid from m.youtube.com - go there and try a search, all the vids are rtsp and 3gp - it isn't a mobisitegalore prob.

I'd guess most phones can see the vids.

But offering pc users vids they cannot see makes no sense - this feature imo would be better if it gave a choice between mobile and non mobile vids to the user.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    That url is exactly the same url you get for a vid from m.youtube.com - go there and try a search, all the vids are rtsp and 3gp - it isn't a mobisitegalore prob.

I'd guess most phones can see the vids.

But offering pc users vids they cannot see makes no sense - this feature imo would be better if it gave a choice between mobile and non mobile vids to the user.
    Thanks again gogo. I didn't realize it's the same thing you'd get at youtubes mobile site. If this is the case, it seems that mobisitegalore is on top of things.

Sure, .mobi is designed for mobile visitors, but the facts are many of us with developed sites do get pc visitors. I kind of like the can't be viewed on a PC aspect of certain content. I can let PC visitors know "These videos can be viewed on your mobile" type of message.

The biggest issue is, how many phones can't play these? My son's Razr is the newest model out, and these things are still quite popular. This tells me a significant portion of my audience won't be able to access content. I'm sure the future will hold more standards in place, but for now...we've got what we've got.

Akmin Technologies

We have just adopted what is there in YouTube and made it available from within the mobile site builder. Since the standards support is disparate, an "All in one" solution seems impossible, as of now. We will keep a watch on the same and come out with updates for a better coverage solution.