Thread: Google 'Android' phone software...OPEN SOURCE!

Living and Lovin in North Carolina, y'all.

Default Google 'Android' phone software...OPEN SOURCE!

November 2, 2007 6:25 PM PDT
    Google to unveil 'Android' phone software

Posted by Tom Krazit

EXCERPTS:

Google is ready to unveil a suite of software for mobile phones based on open-source technology, backed by some of the largest wireless industry companies in the world.

...mobile platform code-named Android that's designed to run on phones, according to sources familiar with Google's plans.

A software development kit for what's being called "a complete mobile-phone software stack" is believed to be in the works and will be released relatively soon thereafter,
    the sources said. It's not exactly clear what kind of software will come as part of that stack, but it's said to include everything you need to run a phone.

...more than 30 other companies involved reads like a who's-who list of the mobile-computing industry, including Qualcomm, Broadcom, HTC, Intel, Samsung, Motorola, Sprint, and Texas Instruments.

The company's interest appears to be simple: there are more than a *billion mobile phones in the world, and sales show no signs of slowing down.(*NOTE: they need to google it...there are nearly 3.5 billion-gerry)

these mobile phones are going to become more and more sophisticated, and the race to develop a truly mobile computer is wide open.

Mobile phones are just starting to move beyond the stripped-down mobile Internet and join the party with their bigger PC cousins. When they get there, they'll need search, and they'll need applications tailored to mobile phones. Those are things Google figured out how to do a long time ago.

That's where an attachment is formed with a computer, and that attachment is particularly strong with a device you would carry with you everywhere you go.

"If it is really open source and the mobile-phone manufacturers will adopt it, it will be a major industry-changing event."

"The phone companies "don't understand the business Google is in, and now they're talking to them!"

And the company could very well have a trump card to play, if it follows through on its interest in the 700MHz spectrum auction scheduled for January 2008.
    Last edited by Gerry; 11-04-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Very interesting how Google is making an all out multi faceted play at the mobile web: spectrum, devices, OS, mobile ads. My main hope/concern in all of this is if Google still gives some screen real estate in search results to unsponsored results. With their new unified search results, the first page of any mobile device could easily be claimed by their own content like news, images and maps leaving little room for anything but sponsored results. All in all it's important to remember Google is driven by ad revenue and they want to dominate the little web screens in your pocket just like they do the big ones on your desk. In their quest to break down the walled gardens they could easily set up their own.

ScandiMAN, I think you may be correct about the first page. I only know my Helio Ocean and when I access the internet from it, the first page is loaded with many sponsored links.

I would imagine for Google to broker a deal with all of these telecommunications players, it had to offer some concessions.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall to those sessions.

But paying for ranking is one thing that many of us can not bear financially. That is why I think branding and cross promoting and linking to one another is a strategy worth exploring. This will help tremendously in indexing and ranking, I believe.

Many of the sites members have are like a one stop, get-it-all info sites where you can access traffic, weather, stocks, and so on easily off one menu rather than conducting search after search. That to me is where the value is in concept and design that many have already developed and deployed.

I am more interest in two things:

Their tools package and how heavily they promote the .mobi extension.

But even then, Google is big but they are not the only search engine.

nice news!! i was waiting on this. thought i needed to sketch around later tonight to find it. great to find it on Mobility!!! rep my brother

if anyone wants to compare history - the greenphone -
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6214641.html
    Last edited by TLD; 11-04-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Google To Launch Open Handset Alliance With 30 Companies: Report

By Rafat Ali - Fri 02 Nov 2007 11:58 PM PST
    Some more details are emerging on Google’s (NSDQ: GOOG) mobile announcement next week (on Monday): the organization it is putting together is called “Open Handset Alliance” and it has registered the website OpenHandsetAlliance.com for it. According to News.com, more than 30 other companies are involved, and include operator partners such as Japanese wireless carriers KDDI and NTT DoCoMo, and others such as Qualcomm, Broadcom, HTC, Intel, Samsung, Motorola, Sprint, and Texas Instruments.
    The company is holding a press conference on Monday to give more details, with Linux software build into a mobile platform code-named Android that’s designed to run on phones, the story says. Details as to what it will be are still a bit murky.
    For those interested in seeing the people behind the tech, NYT has a feature on Andy Rubin, Google’s director of mobile platforms, who worked on the Sidekick and other projects. He has an expected fascination with gadgets…

http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-go...panies-report/
    Last edited by TLD; 11-04-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PVFARKAS View Post
    For those interested in seeing the people behind the tech, NYT has a feature on Andy Rubin, Google’s director of mobile platforms,
    This is a tremendous read on someone who has been there, done that, and is still moving on.

Fascinating story and background as well as some insights in what Google may be hoping to achieve by going open source.

Very nice PV!

Pred

another interesting thread and links
    thanks guys..
    its a strange time we're in. so much hope and possiblities.
    gotta keep the faith

what will 2008 bring? thats the question. it will be 'the' key year for mobi imo

yeah. i feel tomorrow is like christmas morning.

its been a while since i went to sleep and thought i'd get presents better than socks n underwear!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    With their new unified search results, the first page of any mobile device could easily be claimed by their own content like news, images and maps leaving little room for anything but sponsored results.
    This is a very important point Scandi. Very important. I studied SEO some time ago, and got to the conlusion that sooner or later, most initial pages links will be sponsored in one way or another, so I left seo aside. It is not something we can depend on for the long term.
    It is also one of the reasons why I call.mobi -with all due respect- a bridge. (more of a financial bridge. Domainers can make money when the old domainers come over thinking that things will be like in the old times: you have a good, descriptive name, and you'll score much higher in results. But you won't. Money will talk louder than domain names in a sponsor-centred world)
    Seo for mobiles will be more complicated than for PCs. It will be even more difficult to be in that magical first page than it is today, with more sophisticated competition, and sponsored links that don't look like sponsored at all. But the user will click because they -unlike us- don't care and will go to what is easier for them.
    This is a very important point to consider for those who are developing with the hope that Google will send them traffic. IN the long term it won't, unless they pay Google big $, making the whole process unprofitable for small domainers.
    Last edited by Javier Marti; 11-05-2007 at 03:25 AM.
    Javier Marti _/_/_/_/ Founder, futurist, consultant
    Trendirama.com, Trendinews.com, Trendirama.TV
    Author of "Mobile, Domains & The Future"

Key numbers for fiscal year ending December, 2006:
    Sales
    : $10,604.9M
    One year growth: 72.8%
    Net income: $3,077.4M
    Income growth: 110.0%

Default Some more interesting news

Google To Launch Open Handset Alliance With 30 Companies: Report

By Rafat Ali - Fri 02 Nov 2007 11:58 PM PST
    Some more details are emerging on Google’s (NSDQ: GOOG) mobile announcement next week (on Monday): the organization it is putting together is called “Open Handset Alliance” and it has registered the website OpenHandsetAlliance.com for it.

hmmmnnn this is interesting reading.....im keeping IT simple....Google may have .mobi search engines(we may have to have PPC) if we do so be it.....thats where Google will lose,if and when people realize they can add to favs... and .mobi is bigger than Google...which im sure people will......any customer coming to one of our sites and we are well ready and affiliated...will realise we are the mobile web. Don't worry, its all in the advertising/marketing and networking/affiliating we do and are doing that will make the mobile web what IT will be IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Marti View Post
    This is a very important point Scandi. Very important. I studied SEO some time ago, and got to the conlusion that sooner or later, most initial pages links will be sponsored in one way or another, so I left seo aside. It is not something we can depend on for the long term.
    It is also one of the reasons why I call.mobi -with all due respect- a bridge. (more of a financial bridge. Domainers can make money when the old domainers come over thinking that things will be like in the old times: you have a good, descriptive name, and you'll score much higher in results. But you won't. Money will talk louder than domain names in a sponsor-centred world)
    Seo for mobiles will be more complicated than for PCs. It will be even more difficult to be in that magical first page than it is today, with more sophisticated competition, and sponsored links that don't look like sponsored at all. But the user will click because they -unlike us- don't care and will go to what is easier for them.
    This is a very important point to consider for those who are developing with the hope that Google will send them traffic. IN the long term it won't, unless they pay Google big $, making the whole process unprofitable for small domainers.
    SEO can certainly feel like an enigma but one component people are often trying to overcome is ranking for terms that are not part of their URL. This is one of the values of perfectly fitting keyword URL's. Without a doubt Google will do their best to dominate but as Gerry wisely pointed out, "Google is big but they are not the only search engine." If they do in fact build a walled garden of content, it will be quickly recognized in the industry and the pressures will mount for something to change. Google has cried out for net neutrality in the mobile space (whatever that means), so they are setting up a standard by which they will be measured also. There is no replacement for vigilance.

I wonder if this will make the public more aware of open source?

They may never have heard of it, but the idea of free software that is better would sound attractive to many.

Re SEO, I think if the whole first page of results is sponsored enough people will get annoyed enough to use alternatives. There might be opportunities here.

A sort of Adblock for search results, or a stumbleupon type app.

As suggested elsewhere, profiles built up on social networking could be used to focus searches.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    Re SEO, I think if the whole first page of results is sponsored enough people will get annoyed enough to use alternatives. There might be opportunities here.

You are right, and Google agrees with you, and me too! People would get annoyed with too many sponsored results. That's why I can see a future in which sponsored results may look -under some circumstances- just like regular search result pages.
    After all, the public wouldn't notice...and even if some SEOs complained, it wouldn't matter.
    Fart fetched today, I know, but we all know Google is today more evil than before and less evil than tomorrow (when more and better competition may be pushing it to do things it would not have otherwise done. Remember they are a public company now. They have to keep on churning out profits, almost at any cost. In many cases like this, ethics go out of the window pretty quickly)
    Last edited by Javier Marti; 11-06-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Marti View Post
    You are right, and Google agrees with you, and me too! People would get annoyed with too many sponsored results. That's why I can see in the future is sponsored results that may look just like regular searches.
    After all, the public wouldn't notice...and even if some SEOs complained, it wouldn't matter.
    Fart fetched today, I know, but we all know Google is today more evil than before and less evil than tomorrow (when more and better competition may be pushing it to do things it would not have otherwise done. Remember they are a public company now. They have to keep on churning out profits, almost at any cost. In many cases like this, ethics go out of the window pretty quickly)
    Hey Javier..

How is it possible to write a book..while things are changing minute by minute...?
    The time your book is on the shelves, it totally outdated

Just curious..

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by GijsZePa View Post
    Hey Javier..

How is it possible to write a book..while things are changing minute by minute...?

Just curious..

Martin
    Yes, really you need three books: a history, a blog, and maybe an ebook sold by the chapter with discounts on the regularly updated sections.

will this be called The Phoney War?

people are already aware that each service provider gives the options to ringtones and news and so on....i think yes we may have to pay per click and whether their seen as paid ads or look like normal rankings..with only 700,000 .mobi registered and who knows how many developed, the google.mobi search engine for .mobi configured sites will have to supply the world with perhaps PPC or not in the begining...i mean we are competing one against another....seems to me with the billions on a mobile pc small screen device with the way words getting out that .mobi will soon be seen for what it is. Ive put a few names up for the adult domains auction via moniker extremeteen.mobi extremeteens.mobi slavemaster.mobi xxxthumbs.mobi all those are at $25,000 reserves....after the 3rd .mobi Sedo auctions my main .mobi reserves are going up....I dont mind sacrificing domains for lower values but not when it brings .mobi down in the eyes of the public....time they take notice and get with the figures. Anyway im probably off the track...i reckon someone could be a bigger search engine for .mobi than google....directoryindex.mobi directindex dir.mobi any one of us who has the $$$$$$ and skill and time etc..said it before .mobi is way bigger than Google.
    Last edited by MrMobi; 11-06-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Hey Javier..

Just curious..

Martin
    That's what the second edition is for

Hey Javier..

Just curious..

Martin
    You are right and this has given me a lot of trouble, particularly in the last few days. Fortunately the book has sections with some general advice and explanations, on things that won't change in the short term as fast as other things are changing.
    But certainly, the brutal speed of change is complicating matters. I didn't have time to assimiate Open Social when we get Android...it's been a busy week/end! (I write other things and usually used to have a life on the side. No longer!)

What you suggest Gogo is all in the making. The book is the start of some kind of website, but I haven't decided the format yet, or whether hosting it within Trendinews.com or making a wiki, or what...too busy to concentrate on that now. The book will most likely be free. I have not decided yet on the strategy for updates (weekly newsletter? RSS? download lupdate page only?...)

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    I wonder if this will make the public more aware of open source?

They may never have heard of it, but the idea of free software that is better would sound attractive to many.
    In the states we are so entrenched by MS, MS, MS, Apple, Apple, Apple...I think only a small few percentage of computer users are familiar with open source, linux, or unix.

But the odd part is nearly every server and security system is linux (open source) based and a huge majority of major corporation have this running their servers.

But in europe and elsewhere people are not so taken in with MS. Linux and open source is widely accepted and used.

Perhaps I should look again at some of my old fav companies and stocks.

Such as this:

November 05, 2007 08:01 AM Eastern Time
    Red Hat and Sun Collaborate to Advance Open Source Java Technology
    Last edited by Gerry; 11-06-2007 at 04:43 PM.