Thread: We need a .mobi browser for Iphone.

Default We need a .mobi browser for Iphone.

3rd-Party Web Browsers: Now Available in App Store

Safari rules the coop
    This week Apple began approving third-party web browsing applications for the iPhone and iPod touch. Many of them were submitted to the App Store as far back as October, MacRumors reports.
    Prior to Monday, the iPhone and iPod touch only supported Apple's Safari browser, which defaults to Google search when opened. By way of justification, Apple claimed alternative web browsers only "[duplicated] functionality" of existing apps that do a competent job.
    Freshly approved browser apps include:
    • <LI hasbox="2">Edge Browser (Free) <LI hasbox="2">Incognito ($1.99) — a browser that lets users surf without leaving a trail. <LI hasbox="2">WebMate: Tabbed Browser ($0.99) — this browser queues all the links a user clicks on, then lets him view each at leisure.
    • Shaking Web ($1.99) — its algorithm compensates for shaky hands, allowing for easier reading.
    The news makes it possible for prominent browsers to seize a share of the mobile web-surfing market. Opera's mobile browser, Opera Mini, may be of especial interest to iPhone marketers and users alike: it includes zoom, panning and flash support. Firefox launched its own mobile browser in late 2007.
    Strategic liaisons with certain web browsers may also give search sites an opportunity to one-up Google in mobile search. It is currently the market leader, due in no small part to the iPhone, which generated 50 times more Google searches than other handsets in early 2008.
    Like Safari, Opera and Firefox currently also serve Google as the default search site. And if Google launches an iPhone-ready mobile variant of its new Chrome browser, its mobile territory may only grow.

I have no idea if it is possible but I'd like to see an iphone app that lets users in the native browser select from a list of tld's or change the tld from the default of com. This would likely be a lot easier to maintain than an entire browser.

I definitely feel the drop down tld selector, scandi...I thought that from the first instant I browsed on the iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I definitely feel the drop down tld selector, scandi...I thought that from the first instant I browsed on the iphone.
    It could be called the .mobi app for some nice PR but could be a useful utility. I'm sure users would love to be able to program in their own list of TLD's, especially people in other countries more accustomed to using their native ccTLD.

Pred

sounds like a job for rob, dave, ehsan or andy and other resident genius'

too be honest..... just call it the mobiweb....and its default search engine be find.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Pred View Post
    sounds like a job for rob, dave, ehsan or andy and other resident genius'
    I see you're a fan of the "Count"

Post it on mobiforge - maybe one of the mTLD tech guys will see it and know how to move it forward.
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

Really nice post.