Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on the Mobile version of Mobility

Thumbs up Feedback on the Mobile version of Mobility

5/5

I can't thank dartho enough, in a matter of hours we went from being a 2/5 to a fully-compliant 5/5 .mobi website!

For a .mobi site about .mobi, this was critically important.

Thank you, dartho!

My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Great job Andres and Dartho! That's quite an accomplishment I haven't seen a 5/5 Vbulletin forum until now. This may very well be the first 5/5 Vbulletin .mobi in existence -- a great way to let mtld know we're serious about .mobi IMHO

www.LLLL.com
    The mobile internet is going to be HUGE.

Made us a 5/5

At the moment it's good for viewing Fourms/Threads/Posts and replying, posting new threads but the PM system isn't in place (it's using the same PM system as the 2/5 skin).

Given it will only be viewed when on a mobile device - what functions of the forum do you think are a requirement?

All feedback is appreciated.

Dartho, I'll give it a good go through on my cell over the next few days and provide some feedback.

Andres, since we're 5/5 now, submit this puppy to the mtld showcase!

Mobility Regular

Good job!

Excellent job!! Very well done
    The speed of light is faster than sound that's why some people appear bright until they open their mouths

To everyone who thinks a profitable viral marketing campaign is so easy to accomplish I would suggest to go and do it instead of complaining that others aren't - Scandiman

Very cool! Great job. Keep-up the good work.

Nice job! Woot.. Finally we have a 5/5 site!

- Steve

Thank you all for your hard work.

"Leading by Example" should be a sub motto of the board. It's great to be a part of this community.

PM is not so important, but the ability to see that you have PM's could be a good idea for now. Other than that, maybe try to cut down on the size of the pages (limit HTML code as best as possible). For example, split style sheets up for each page and include only what you need. Try not to use useless functions like <hr> and try not to use <table> as it takes up way more space.

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="blah"><tr><td></td></tr></table>

Or
    <div class="blah"></div>

The less html the more we can save and the faster it will load. Also try to disable cacheing as it causes problems in older cellphones.

Those are many suggestions

- Steve

This is awesome news -- it really helps to validate the forum (as though all of us weren't validation enough!)...

Great work, Dartho...thank you!

Made us a 5/5

Thanks, iNod. I don't use any tables at all in this style - there is a few things I can do to reduce size such as removing all white space and tidying a few things up.

Something the site should consider is reducing the number of posts shown per page from the default 25 to 15 - although it will necessitate more navigation, it will significantly reduce the size of each screen.

The PM thing should be simple enough.

Thanks

Hi Dartho, I've been using the mobile version on my cell and I've got a few comments/questions.

When in the PM area, I think it would be better to have the PM navigation at the top of the screen instead of the bottom. I'm referring to the Inbox, sent items, list messages, etc.

How do I log out?

On my phone (nokia 6030), clickable links are reverse copy in a blue field and the one that is selected and ready to be clicked switches to positive blue copy. Is it possible to also switch color of the selected link to something like red so it stands out more?

Other than that I'm amazed with how much can be accomplished on my little phone. Great work and so fast too! Very well done and much appreciated.

Nice work boys! Definetly 5/5 for effort and commitment!

Made us a 5/5

You may have noticed a new version is now in use.

The PM navigation is quite large on a small screen, I've left it at the bottom so it doesn't fill the screen. Also added an "Up" link at the base of most forum/thread/post pages so you canmove back up a level. The colours have been changed too.

I'm slowly adding screens such as who's online - but a navigation system to use which doesn't fill every screen is a consideration. I was thinking of only having "Home" "New" "Nav" menus - the "Nav" link will take you to a page of menu options.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    Hi Dartho, I've been using the mobile version on my cell and I've got a few comments/questions.

When in the PM area, I think it would be better to have the PM navigation at the top of the screen instead of the bottom. I'm referring to the Inbox, sent items, list messages, etc.

How do I log out?

On my phone (nokia 6030), clickable links are reverse copy in a blue field and the one that is selected and ready to be clicked switches to positive blue copy. Is it possible to also switch color of the selected link to something like red so it stands out more?

Other than that I'm amazed with how much can be accomplished on my little phone. Great work and so fast too! Very well done and much appreciated.
    Last edited by dartho; 07-26-2007 at 07:31 AM.

Hi folks, for some reason we had fallen back down to a 4/5 (I don't know if mTLD changed their criteria or not because we didn't change anything). So I did A LOT of tweaking and not only are we back to a 5/5 but I made it considerably easier to read the Threads and Posts on your mobile as they're now separated in an easy-to-read format (check it out and you'll see what I mean).

Also, the PM link at the top has been replaced with a User CP link in dartho's latest mod. The User CP page has a link to the PM's and to your Subscribed threads which is quite useful. The trade-off is that now you need 2 steps to get to your PM's. Let me know if you prefer it this way or want a direct PM link (not sure if it will all fit on the Nav bar). Oh, and if you have unread PM's, the User CP link stays bold to alert you.

Also, Unread Threads should appear in bold and Hot Threads and Unread Posts within a thread should appear with a yellow highlight to indicate their status.

Anyway, please play around with it and give me as much feedback as possible. I've gotten pretty comfortable editing this mobile mod, so I can tweak it quite a bit. Take advantage of that and tell me what you like, don't like, and want added, changed, or removed to improve the Mobility experience on the go!

Thanks!
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

| Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Hi folks, for some reason we had fallen back down to a 4/5 (I don't know if mTLD changed their criteria or not because we didn't change anything). So I did A LOT of tweaking and not only are we back to a 5/5 but I made it considerably easier to read the Threads and Posts on your mobile as they're now separated in an easy-to-read format (check it out and you'll see what I mean).

Also, the PM link at the top has been replaced with a User CP link in dartho's latest mod. The User CP page has a link to the PM's and to your Subscribed threads which is quite useful. The trade-off is that now you need 2 steps to get to your PM's. Let me know if you prefer it this way or want a direct PM link (not sure if it will all fit on the Nav bar). Oh, and if you have unread PM's, the User CP link stays bold to alert you.

Also, Unread Threads should appear in bold and Hot Threads and Unread Posts within a thread should appear with a yellow highlight to indicate their status.

Anyway, please play around with it and give me as much feedback as possible. I've gotten pretty comfortable editing this mobile mod, so I can tweak it quite a bit. Take advantage of that and tell me what you like, don't like, and want added, changed, or removed to improve the Mobility experience on the go!

Thanks!
    Awesome to hear Andres,

Congrats! I'll be checking out on the mible tomorrow and give some feedback

A pm search would be soooooooo helpful, for desktop and mobile version.
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

Thanks Andres, i am always using my mobile for mobility. Look forward to using it today.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    A pm search would be soooooooo helpful, for desktop and mobile version.
    Already have a PM search for the PC version. Click on your Private Messages link above and you will see "Search" listed on the left side menu under "Private Messages"

on my mobile now and it is looking great. One add-on to consider is a text link on the home page to the motm.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 02-04-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Pred

Thumbs up more..........

thanks for all the features.

1/it would be really cool to have being able to add a logo in sig. nothing silly, just like say on dnf. why not let us all advertise our best sites to guest eyeballs? helping us and mobi

2/ some sort of np$ or dnf$ would be cool with extra features.

would help bankroll mobility too.
    think how much andres must have to pay out.
    think how much rj makes?

once the money comes in , tshirts, baseball caps you name it

3/ oh, lastly if you could send round a free ******, it would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    One add-on to consider is a text link on the home page to the motm.
    Done. Now our .mobi of the Month winners will also benefit from mobile traffic! Great suggestion, Scandi!

Any other suggestions for the mobile version of Mobility?

The new layout looks great on my mobile.

Update:

I've made a few more changes to improve the mobile experience:
    • I've replaced the User CP link in the Nav Bar with 2 direct links to Subscribed Threads and Private Messages (now the PM link goes bold when you have unread PM's).
    • I've added mobile Access Keys for quick navigation:
      • [1] Home
      • [2] New Posts
      • [3] Subscribed Threads
      • [4] Private Messages
      • [5] New Thread / Post
      • [0] Logout
    (If you're not currently using the Subscribed Threads feature, I strongly recommend activating it as it makes it a lot easier to keep track of the threads you're participating in. New users have it activated by default.)

Any more feedback?

Thanks, Andres. The access keys should help a lot for mobile viewing. Repped.
    Need a developer? MobileSiteStore.com | More good stuff at Drosty.com
    Accepting Quality guest posts via PM only for mobiEnthusiast.mobi
    (NO press releases or story ideas, completed, unique articles only
    )

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    Thanks, Andres. The access keys should help a lot for mobile viewing. Repped.
    Yep, absolutely a good idea to have them - not all touch screens out there or easy to click links with some phones' buttons.

BTW - a question ... It seems to me I remember reading somewhere very early on that (in addition to using your mouse) you can also use the mnobi website's "access keys" from your keyboard. Is that correct? Is there a way to do that from your PC keyboard or to code the .mobi website site to allow that? Thanks.

Rep+ Andres for all your work refining the mobile version. It's a big help

Update:

I've added the ability for mobile visitors to Register on the mobile version of Mobility.

This was not easy by any means as it required the registration pages to be re-coded for mobile users and necessitated a new plug-in for the captcha system to replace the captcha image that was displaying incorrectly on the mobile emulator, but it was definitely worth it because it's working beautifully now. I've given the Registration page the quick access key [3] for unregistered users so they can quickly join us via their mobiles.

I wanted to have this completed for the Mobile World Congress on Monday so that people can join Mobility at the conference directly from their mobiles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast