Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premium Domain Enforcement

Arrow Premium Domain Enforcement

Hi all,

I've been so busy that I don't remember if this was mentioned before or not, but based on the posts regarding the current auction of New.mobi, it doesn't seem like it was.

Premium Development Requirements are finally being enforced by mTLD. This is an e-mail they sent out to all relevant Premium Domain owners on September 4, 2008:

The relevant auctions are defined as Sedo 1 (September 26th to October 3rd 2007), Sedo 2 (October 31st to November 7th 2007), Traffic 3 (October 12th 2007) or GoDaddy 1 (November 5th to 7th 2007). [Any other auctions will be subject to separate communications].

By participating in one or more of these auctions, you agreed to the terms and conditions set out in the dotMobi Auction End-User Agreement.
    These terms provided for the following:

1. A dotMobi compliant parking page to launch within 10 days of the initial domain transfer date

2. Launch a full web-site with relevant content within 6 months of the initial domain transfer date [relevant = relevant to the domain name]

3. Web-site to be compliant and to have a mobile readiness score of at least 4/5

4. Notify dotMobi in the event of a sale and contractually bind any new party to the terms of the End-User Agreement [please note that in the event of a sale, the 6 months clock does not re-start]

dotMobi has received extensive feedback from the market that the 6 month development timeline was not a long enough window, particularly for those bidders that acquired a number of domains in the auctions or for large corporations with lengthy internal processes. In light of this, dotMobi has elected to extend the development deadline and the new deadline for compliance with all obligations is 10 January 2009.

Time moves quickly and we urge you to commence development work without delay so as not to put your domains at the risk of re-acquisition by dotMobi (with no funds returned) per the Agreement after the new deadline has passed.
    In short, all Sedo 1, Sedo 2, Traffic 3, and Godaddy 1 Premium Domains need to be developed by January 10, 2009 or they will be taken back by mTLD without a refund. If anyone wants to test the resolve of mTLD to take back these Premium Domains after they were lenient enough to give an across-the-board 8+ month extension on the original 6-month deadline, I have a revolver with one bullet itching for you to play with.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Founding Member

At Last, high time they took the difficult decisions
    Better late than never
    ERP.MOBI | LOG.MOBI | BROADCAST.MOBI | SHARES.MOBI | RFP.MOBI

Thanks for that info Andres. And I think maybe that revolver should have five bullets in it.

forget the revolver, I want people to believe it is an auto loader w/ a full clip and one in the chamber

Mobility Regular

Very good and timely info! Thank you.
    We are getting there!
    Now, where are all those mobile pay systems?!?!
    Regards, cobo

mobile *** why.mobi *** global
    HighYield + Philanthropy = Paradigm Shift

Quote Originally Posted by cobo View Post
    Very good and timely info! Thank you.
    We are getting there!
    Now, where are all those mobile pay systems?!?!
    Waiting for you to make it? :-D Or someone else around here :-D

Mobility Regular

Quote Originally Posted by setjmp View Post
    Waiting for you to make it? :-D Or someone else around here :-D
    Hehe, well I guess my asset mgmt. clients look at me as a "pay system" of sorts.
    But tech wizard I am not! It will definitely be someone else!
    I will, however, make massive use of these "soon to be" pay systems when in place.
    Also setjmp, welcome to the forum.
    Regards, cobo

mobile *** why.mobi *** global
    HighYield + Philanthropy = Paradigm Shift

Cool. Well for any tech wizardry, it takes a good idea too. Unfortunately, often, I'm weak in that area. Seldom does anything really happen from one person. WIsh I realized that years ago...

Glad when deciding where I'd try to get more focused and stable wound up mobi... For real, cause it's real and portable Thanks for the welcome. Haven't see such a commected community since the early days of #unix on EFNET, though that was just fun and play really, lol... Thanks again..

welcome setjmp Nice compliment for the forum..

Banned

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Hi all,

I've been so busy that I don't remember if this was mentioned before or not, but based on the posts regarding the current auction of New.mobi, it doesn't seem like it was.

Premium Development Requirements are finally being enforced by mTLD. This is an e-mail they sent out to all relevant Premium Domain owners on September 4, 2008:

In short, all Sedo 1, Sedo 2, Traffic 3, and Godaddy 1 Premium Domains need to be developed by January 10, 2009 or they will be taken back by mTLD without a refund. If anyone wants to test the resolve of mTLD to take back these Premium Domains after they were lenient enough to give an across-the-board 8+ month extension on the original 6-month deadline, I have a revolver with one bullet itching for you to play with.

I thought this might be an intriguing and highly constructive topic ... in seeking updates to the, as revised, "development requirements" set by mTLD (January 10, 2009)for all Sedo 1, Sedo 2, Traffic 3, and Godaddy 1 Premium Domains, IMHO.

Does anyone have the full list of the aformentioned domains (or is it published already here on the site for reference) ... their current - hoping fully developed - status, and whether or not mTLD has taken back any of these domains for non-compliance? Today is February 23, 2009.

What is the latest, let's please discuss openly and candidly.
    -Jeff

Hi Jeff, Here is a good example of mtld's need for enforcement. http://creditcards.mobi this is a straight redirect to the dotcom.

Domain ID4201-MOBI
    Domain Name:CREDITCARDS.MOBI
    Created On:11-May-2006 22:12:30 UTC
    Last Updated On:16-Sep-2008 21:48:38 UTC
    Expiration Date:11-May-2009 22:12:30 UTC
    Last Transferred Date:13-Dec-2007 15:35:23 UTC
    Trademark Name:Premium Name
    Trademark Country:IE
    Trademark Number:Premium Name
    Date Trademark Applied For:2005-01-01
    Date Trademark Registered:2006-01-01

Cheers
    Rob
    Names Sold In 2009: Cant keep track
    http://mobisitetrader.com http://develops.mobi

Banned

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Hi Jeff, Here is a good example of mtld's need for enforcement. http://creditcards.mobi this is a straight redirect to the dotcom.

Domain ID4201-MOBI

Cheers
    Rob
    Thanks Rob, yes I agree ... that's not a good showing for MANDATED actual stand-alone .MOBI development, IMHO

Is there a full and complete list of the (all) Sedo 1, Sedo 2, Traffic 3, and Godaddy 1 Premium Domains? This may be the best place to start with our investigations (perhaps some can start cleaning their revolvers, as well) IMHO.

-Jeff

Founding Member

although it doesnt really affect my speculation.... im actually interested to hear about this as well...

i know its only been a month after the new deadline, but whats up mTLD?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mjnels View Post
    although it doesnt really affect my speculation.... im actually interested to hear about this as well...

i know its only been a month after the new deadline, but whats up mTLD?
    Good points, I'm sure many are looking forward to the answer ... since the "deadline" has already been extended once IMHO.

-Jeff

Living and Lovin in North Carolina, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post

Domain ID4201-MOBI

Cheers
    Rob
    Wow, that really sucks.

What a waste.

I wonder if they are actually getting traffic from a mobile platform?

If so, then what?

Hit a dead end of a full PC site?

Living and Lovin in North Carolina, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    forget the revolver, I want people to believe it is an auto loader w/ a full clip and one in the chamber
    Egad.

I have ten 20 round clips each with 15 9mm hollow points loaded.

Should I go ahead and put in the last 5 in each?

Sounds like this may get heated.

Banned

Today, on February 23rd, mTLD must now take back "creditcards.mobi" (without a refund), correct?

-Jeff

As a Premium .mobi owner of several (development-mandated) domains, I can confirm that mTLD are continuing to communicate, personally, by email, with the owners about the status of each and every affected Premium .mobi.

They have reminded the owners of the deadline for each of the premiums they own, and sent follow-up reminders to develop by a specific date, as well. Also, they remind owners that the developed domains must comply with a minimum 4/5 ready.mobi score. And, they have reminded owners that failure to comply with these deadlines will result in the loss of the domains.

As the process works through, seeing a list would be interesting....but, I imagine mTLD would be the only ones to know exactly the status of each premium, in this regard. Whether, or not, they choose to publish such a list is another matter, of course.

Last edited by DomainTalker; 02-24-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Today, on February 23rd, mTLD must now take back "creditcards.mobi" (without a refund), correct?

-Jeff
    they could, but its based on their discretion.

however i do agree that if they dont eventually take back some of these non-compliant names that the whole "premium name with development requirements" will forever be a joke. at the same time, this is why i dont think mTLD is as "greedy" as you make them out to be. their contracts clearly stated they are free to take back the domains at anytime with no refund if they wernt developed. and so far, they havnt done this.

still, if there are tons of premium .mobi's that havnt been developed by this time next year, i will consider their contracts about premium domains a complete joke.

Banned

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DomainTalker View Post
    As a Premium .mobi owner of several (development-mandated) domains, I can tell you that mTLD are continuing to communicate, personally, by email, with the owners about the status of each and every affected Premium .mobi.

They have reminded the owners of the deadline for each of the premiums they own, and sent follow-up reminders to develop by a specific date, as well. Also, they remind owners that the developed domains must comply with a minimum 4/5 ready.mobi score. And, they have reminded owners that failure to comply with these deadlines will result in the loss of the domains.

As the process works through, seeing a list would be interesting....but, I imagine mTLD would be the only ones to know exactly the status of each premium, in this regard. Whether, or not, they choose to publish such a list is another matter, of course.

Thanks for the scoop, DT ... but does this not bode the question; what is the meaning of the new January '09 deadline if it's not going to be strictly enforced (I mean, there are, seemingly literally, folks with revolvers who have stated that it is fact not to mess with mTLD on this revised deadline this time around!, IMHO)? How long can this casual non-enforcement continue ... without further causing damage to mTLD's (and, by relation, the .MOBI extension itself) legitimacy and reputation?
    Let's discuss this matter frankly. IYHO's?

-Jeff

If some premium owners fail to comply on a domain, then, that'd be a pity - they'd lose the domain, and .mobi would have one less premium name out there.

But, in the big picture, so what?....It'd just mean someone didn't develop a domain....The domain would go back to mTLD, eventually someone else would own it, and eventually it'd be developed.

No big drama for the .mobi extension, as a whole.

(edit)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    what is the meaning of the new January '09 deadline if it's not going to be strictly enforced
    Oh, I expect them to enforce it allright, Jeff...I expect its happening, in some cases, as we speak....so, you can settle yourself down, and wait to see.

My point is, if someone loses a domain, its not the end of the world....

Last edited by DomainTalker; 02-24-2009 at 12:37 AM.

I don't think it would damage .mobi in general beyond purist domainers who were looking for excuses anyway. As a previous quality auditor, I fall on the side of the purist; what's the use of having a protocol if you're not going to follow it? But in reality, I bet end users won't give two swings of a goats tail about it.
    Thanks for the scoop, DT ... but does this not bode the question; what is the meaning of the new January '09 deadline if it's not going to be strictly enforced (I mean, there are, seemingly literally, folks with revolvers who have stated that it is fact not to mess with mTLD on this revised deadline this time around!, IMHO)? How long can this casual non-enforcement continue ... without further causing damage to mTLD's (and, by relation, the .MOBI extension itself) legitimacy and reputation?
    Let's discuss this matter frankly. IYHO's?

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    But in reality, I bet end users won't give two swings of a goats tail about it.
    Well said, Tim.

No one but a domainer - and mTLD - gives two fingers whether development deadlines are met, or not...and, in the end, end users (and, some domainers are also end users, of course), and consumer users - not most domainers - will determine .mobi's future...

Like I said, who cares? Apart from the purists, as you call them.

Last edited by DomainTalker; 02-24-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Founding Member

at the moment - im a pure .mobi domainer and it doesnt affect me but im curious to see if they hold to their word.

im patient though, but seriously if mTLD doesnt take some non-compliant names back by say, 2011, i declare their entire contract about premium domains a total joke.

To be honest if mTLD wants to be taken seriously and look professional then they should be waving that big stick and take then back. They cannot be seen to be weak and without direction.
    ENOUGH SAID

Mobile Web Search, forget google, bookmark... JUST.mobi

Snowboards.mobi | Convert2.mobi | Caravans for Sale | VOTES.mobi

Banned

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by noonoo1 View Post
    To be honest if mTLD wants to be taken seriously and look professional then they should be waving that big stick and take then back. They cannot be seen to be weak and without direction.
    ^ Hammer. Head. Nail.

im patient though, but seriously if mTLD doesnt take some non-compliant names back by say, 2011, i declare their entire contract about premium domains a total joke.
    I agree ... though I don't at all understand where you're getting a 2011 date, IMHO.

I say the time is now, folks (it's past due, TWICE)!
    IMHO.

-Jeff

Founding Member

I agree ... though I don't at all understand where you're getting a 2011 date, IMHO.

I say the time is now, folks (it's past due, TWICE)!
    IMHO.

-Jeff

just getting the 2011 date from my patience.... this is just me speaking as a pure play speculator making observations.

i am patient with my observations, but the flavor of my post is that if something doesnt happen eventually, mTLD will not be taken seriously about their development requirement for "premium domains." it is already under question now by even .mobi enthusiasts, but i understand the concept of the carrot and the stick.

i promise to personally make a thread in 2011 on every domain forum if they havnt taken back some of the indisputable non-compliant names. just remind me..

Banned

Smile

just getting the 2011 date from my patience.... this is just me speaking as a pure play speculator making observations.

i am patient with my observations, but the flavor of my post is that if something doesnt happen eventually, mTLD will not be taken seriously about their development requirement for "premium domains." it is already under question now by even .mobi enthusiasts, but i understand the concept of the carrot and the stick.

i promise to personally make a thread in 2011 on every domain forum if they havnt taken back some of the indisputable non-compliant names. just remind me..
    Good enough, appreciate the candor!

-Jeff

Personally I don't think that this revocation will ever happen.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Banned

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Egnited View Post
    Personally I don't think that this revocation will ever happen.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
    I sure hope you're wrong ... can you expound on why you believe this revocation may not ever happen?

Thanks kindly.
    -Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast