Thread: Pixel to EM

Default Pixel to EM

One of the new requirement of ready.mobi (to get a higher score) is not to use absolute measurements. I always used pixel sizes in my CSS.

I've found a tool where you can convert your current pixelsizes into em size to get your .mobi more compliant:

http://riddle.pl/emcalc/

Martin
    <signature police forced me to remove my image that was too large and had nothing to do with a mobi site >

Autodisk.mobi - all dutch carspecs | Manage all your holiday accommodations with our online manager.

Mobility Regular

I rarely use absolute measurements in my CSS already.Anyway,the tool is cool.Thanx.

Naiyer.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GijsZePa View Post
    One of the new requirement of ready.mobi (to get a higher score) is not to use absolute measurements. I always used pixel sizes in my CSS.

I've found a tool where you can convert your current pixelsizes into em size to get your .mobi more compliant:

http://riddle.pl/emcalc/

Martin
    I was able to get a 4.95/5 on my homepage (still startup really) yesterday with only one warning, which is google adsense related. It took a while to fix a few things though.

Funnier yet my Nokia 6126 has to be my most finicky phone. Particularly to CSS. When it shows with CSS, everything is well. It took a while though after everything, theres still:

Use of stylesheets

Your stylesheet use is not in accordance with best practices
    Do not use in-line markup such as e.g. <b>bold</b> to vary the presentation of your page. Use of stylesheets helps with consistency of style and centralising style helps to reduce page weight

PASS near line 5 column 66
    " type="text/css" />

WARN near line 16 column 299
    Use ofstyle attribute in element div
    ://setjmp.mobi/ --><div style="background-color:#0

WARN near line 16 column 438

Which is specific to the output fetched from google with PHP code. I think I'll drop them a line on it after looking over terms as to whether I can modify what it gets in an fopen (PHP). If so, I can fix that too

4.95 out of 5 ain't bad, Though I must have perfection lol

-setjmp

Quote Originally Posted by setjmp View Post
    4.95 out of 5 ain't bad
    4.95 is superb !

I can understand that you want a 5.0 though

Martin
    <signature police forced me to remove my image that was too large and had nothing to do with a mobi site >

Autodisk.mobi - all dutch carspecs | Manage all your holiday accommodations with our online manager.

Quote Originally Posted by GijsZePa View Post
    4.95 is superb !

I can understand that you want a 5.0 though

Martin
    One problem though, now it won't load in most desktops. Check it out, http://setjmp.mobi/ . Well it does, though the content type isn't known, and they want to save it rather than display it. Downloading wurfl now for another round of play and hopefully I can keep the 4.95 in the process.

overall the browser doesn't like the Content Type. It took the application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml to make the 4.95:

php:
    header('Content-Type: application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml');

The server is lame and doesn't know that sort. Funny, it's also the only way my Nokia 6126 will get the stylesheet involved too. Most sites don't load right on that phone. It's apparently extremely picky. The S40 3rd addition FP1 does em all right, and is almost identical to the 6126 (6136 I think)

Thanks for the reply,

Eric

application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml
    is what I got when my browser tried to download the file.

have you tried using this DTD:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN" "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    And yes it is rdiculous that Google put in code that downgrades a page unnecessarily. Godaddy's free hosting does something similar. but Godaddy were very unreceptive to comments.
    Last edited by gogo; 10-16-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    is what I got when my browser tried to download the file.

have you tried using this DTD:

And yes it is rdiculous that Google put in code that downgrades a page unnecessarily. Godaddy's free hosting does something similar. but Godaddy were very unreceptive to comments.
    yeah, that's specifically the DTD public and system it is using.

trying to get the wurfl php code to work, though it keeps considering the desktop browsers mobile too, hehe

This too shall pass

setjmp