Thread: A Very Modern Mobile Switching Algorithm - Part I

Default A Very Modern Mobile Switching Algorithm - Part I

An important question that most web developers ask when developing their first mobile web site is "how do I distinguish between mobile users and desktop users?". Although this seems like a simple enough question at first, of course there's more to it than meets the eye. In fact, what do we even mean by 'distinguish'? How we distinguish their requirements? Their desires? The services they expect? The browsers they happen to be using?
    read more

More...

Cool Figuring out part II before it hits the press, hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by RSS Feed View Post
    An important question that most web developers ask when developing their first mobile web site is "how do I distinguish between mobile users and desktop users?". Although this seems like a simple enough question at first, of course there's more to it than meets the eye. In fact, what do we even mean by 'distinguish'? How we distinguish their requirements? Their desires? The services they expect? The browsers they happen to be using?
    read more

More...
    Yeah the article says a lot that I've read before, though at the moment I'm having trouble Getting a 5 on ready.mobi and at the same time having the page load right on desktop (or forward to my blog on .com (which is a lot more mobile ready than the .mobi is desktop ready, lol).

I'm trying WURFL with PHP though finding that it's a little outdated in some ways (PHP code). Combined with that my hosting for my .mobi is PHP CGI based and brings a lot of permission issues. Once I got that squared away (hoping today) I intend to library a package for easier upload distribution in the future. Hopefully a simple PHP script that can fetch the rest...

Anyone else been thru this? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-setjmp