Thread: mdot?, now what!!; SOWHAT

Default mdot?, now what!!; SOWHAT

First, I just want to say I love .mobi

Spent thousands, just like all you.

Been around WAP for a while.

Thought to myself well over a year ago why not mdot.

mdot makes sence

There are so many paths

mobile.cnn.com
    wireless.cnn.com
    cnn.com/m
    cnn.com/wireless
    cnn.com/mobile/sports/blahblah
    oh yeah www.
    etc,etc

.mobi

love it

On the home page of this very site it says that we are a mobile web forum as well as a .mobi forum

Andres makes a good point about squaters.

Others talk about go forward with no fear times will get better or they are just fine now.

A coward dies a thousand deaths.

mdot may rule to some degree

They have the eyeballs. Dotmobi as much as they would like to advertise may not afford it so they make smart strategy decisions inching forward for the long term.

mdot is a trade-off of the subdomain potential of any site.

I still like .mobi

but

realistically, hedge your bets.

How

Egnited will survive, NeoMedia and many others, perhaps all.

Build Promote Use your Talents

You have savy...you bought into .mobi ahead of its time

We just built a 160+ page .mobi for a huge corp.

They also have others. .com .ca etc.

And what about "purls" and shot codes or 2dcodes or the 3dcode sleeping monsters? What about glasses and phones that amplify the screen on the wall or simply detect the browser?

ooooooscarey

Cowards die a thousand deaths.

Get to work network have fun build. Build mdots, .mobis or what ever the client needs or doesn't.

Link.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapman View Post
    First, I just want to say I love .mobi
    Glad to hear it

Spent thousands, just like all you.
    In the right names it was money well invested IMO.

Been around WAP for a while.

Thought to myself well over a year ago why not mdot.

mdot makes sence

There are so many paths

mobile.cnn.com
    wireless.cnn.com
    cnn.com/m
    cnn.com/wireless
    oh yeah www.
    etc,etc
    Yes, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc... and the list will grow longer over time. Ever increasing complexity and confusion in the mobile site naming 'conventions'.

.mobi

love it
    Glad to hear it

On the home page of this very site it says that we are a mobile web forum as well as a .mobi forum
    Yes, the two go hand in hand.

Andres makes a good point about squaters.

Others talk about go forward with no fear times will get better or they are just fine now.

A coward dies a thousand deaths.
    Not sure of the connection of squatters/fear/cowardly death

mdot may rule to some degree

They have the eyeballs. Dotmobi as much as they would like to advertise may not afford it so they make smart strategy decisions inching forward for the long term.

mdot is a trade-off of the subdomain potential of any site.
    I've said it before and will say it again, mdot and all the other naming conventions are here to stay. There is only one .mobi and for all the owners of a given keyword in all those other extensions, only one of them may possibly have the .mobi. All the other people will need to chose another method to provide mobile content to their users. The choices are do nothing, use and maintain auto detection, or use one of the many alternative mobile site naming conventions.

There are and will be successful mdot/mobiledot/etc. mobile websites. There are and will be successful .mobi websites. Like with anything, if you want to rise, get out there and compete. .mobi is not the free ride that many landrushers may have thought it would be, overnight millionaires for a $60 investment. Reality sucks when you fall from that high horse.

I still like .mobi
    Glad to hear it

but

realistically, hedge your bets.
    Can't reg an mdot

How

Egnited will survive, NeoMedia and many others, perhaps all.

Build Promote Use your Talents

You have savy...you bought into .mobi ahead of its time

We just built a 160+ page .mobi for a huge corp.

They also have others. .com .ca etc.

And what about "purls" and shot codes or 2dcodes or the 3dcode sleeping monsters? What about glasses and phones that amplify the screen on the wall or simply detect the browser?

ooooooscarey

Cowards die a thousand deaths.

Get to work network have fun build. Build mdots, .mobis or what ever the client needs or doesn't (wants).
    Good advice for developers.

Link.
    Missing

Pred

lol

you on some cali haze? **** must be strong you in a weekend trip fo reaalzz

I've read so much fear about dotmobis' survival, on some forums it has died 2000 deaths. mdot is a great mobile platform its all about the mobile internet

I've read so much fear about dotmobis' survival, on some forums it has died 2000 deaths.
    Facts dispel fear. If you need facts about how .mobi is not dying but in fact growing, be sure to keep an eye on the info that shows up here at Mobility.

mdot is a great mobile platform its all about the mobile internet
    I'm curious how that is assured?

I've read so much fear about dotmobis' survival, on some forums it has died 2000 deaths. mdot is a great mobile platform its all about the mobile internet
    Quite frankly, I, for one am simply tired of the argument of mdot vs com.mobile vs mobi. We've all spent way too much time trying to convey our reasonings to may who just don't get it.

The fact is, mdot is not being promoted to the masses any more or less than mobi. At least, I have not seen a national campaign rolling out for everyone to simply put an m in front of your intended domain and you'll go to a mobile friendly site. It is in no way a trustmark. Do companies use it? Sure they do. Do companies promote their site(s). Sure they do. Is there a trustmark or assurances? Nope.

My son was playing around yesterday with his PSP, surfing the web. He told me, "Dad, I have to say, I love the mobi sites you've shown me. The load so much quicker and work better than most "regular" sites". I checked it out and had some real fun. That's really my first experience on that platform and was impressed. My sites (and all others I visited) loaded in seconds vs 30-45 seconds (if at all).

dotMobi is coming along just fine, thank you very much. As more and more sites and companies start rolling out, consumer awareness will follow. You can't put the cart before the horse. And mTld has not. Well played, IMHO. The world is full of naysayers. This will never change. The truth is, none of us know what the future of dotMbi is. We believe it will become a standard of mobile browsing. You can believe otherwise and are free to think and spend your money however you choose. Best of luck

Quote" There are so many paths

mobile.cnn.com
    wireless.cnn.com
    cnn.com/m
    cnn.com/wireless
    oh yeah www.
    etc,etc Yes, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc... and the list will grow longer over time. Ever increasing complexity and confusion in the mobile site naming 'conventions'."Unquote

That's fantastic. Let em come. IMO the more of those type of extensions there are the stronger .MOBI's position will become as .MOBI will become like a beacon on a rock, a lighthouse with a powerful beam in an ocean awash with all kinds of confusing extensions.
    Fred

Living and Lovin in North Carolina, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaryman View Post
    Quote" There are so many paths

mobile.cnn.com
    wireless.cnn.com
    cnn.com/m
    cnn.com/wireless
    oh yeah www.
    etc,etc Yes, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc... and the list will grow longer over time. Ever increasing complexity and confusion in the mobile site naming 'conventions'."Unquote

That's fantastic. Let em come. IMO the more of those type of extensions there are the stronger .MOBI's position will become as .MOBI will become like a beacon on a rock, a lighthouse with a powerful beam in an ocean awash with all kinds of confusing extensions.
    Fred
    Well said Fred.

Lets hope that so many concocted and created prefixes and suffixes get created that no one can find anything.

Consumers will ask for a simpler, more meaningful and easier to remember method of accessing the mobile internet.

When that happens, there will be a great many voices that say,

It already exists.