Hi all,
I have a 64-bit Lenovo B50-45 laptop which we use for docking HHTs and downloading data via WMDC. Our business's stock control and compliance hangs off the use of WMDC, and since updgrading to Win10 v1709 (Fall Creators Update), WMDC is not working.
This laptop has been upgraded to 1709 as a test, we have many other PCs throughout the business using WMDC under v1703 and earlier, which we will need to get working. These are the issues I am seeing:
  • WMDC is no longer installed on the Lenovo laptop as it was before the upgrade.
  • Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity service not listed in services.msc as it was before the upgrade.
  • Windows Mobile-based device connectivity service not listed in services.msc as it was before the upgrade.
When I ran the 64-bit WMDC installer, it failed with "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor". The error appears in the Event Viewer as Error 1723 under the source MSIinstaller.
I have tried changing the permissions on C:\Users|USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp to full control for Everyone as suggested by various forums after searching 'Error 1723'.
I have also followed the steps here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...ndowsmobiledev
which suggests editing the msi in Orca, running the modified msi, then the original exe, making some registry changes to RapiMgr and WcesComm, then rebooting and editing the services' properties.
After a reboot, WMDC and WMDC Driver Update now appear on the Apps & Features list with an install date of 6 months ago, but the services do not appear in services.msc, so I can't edit their properties.
Thinking I could start again I tried to uninstall WMDC and WMDC driver update in Apps & Features, but both fail with "A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run" error.
Has anyone else come across this issue, or have any suggestions of how to get WMDC to work again?
Cheers,
Stu

More...