I have just made a fresh (clean) install of Windows 10 x64 version 1709 and it is a total disaster. It is impossible to even install WMDC. Installer displays some useless message and that is all.
Is there anybody who was able to at least install WMDC on Windows 10 1709?
Andrew
SOLUTION (ALL REQUIRED STEPS)

My original question was about installing WMDC. Alexander has given a perfect solution. Unfortunately there are a few more steps required to make it working. This thread is long and has a few references to other threads. Below I will write a summary. Let's assume you want to make a clean (fresh) install of Windows 10 1709. Personally I have tested these steps on Home and Professional x64 Polish version. Some texts are translated from Polish - it is possible that the same text in English Windows version has a little different spelling.

Install Windows 10 1709 and drivers required for your computer, connect to the internet and install updates.
Install .NET 3.5. Select Programs and Features in Control Panel and then Turn Windows features on or off https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...-35-windows-10
Find orca.msi file on your old computer. It was installed as part of Windows SDK. If you don't have any read this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...57(VS.85).aspx
Tip from Rune:
Download ISO file from here https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...windows-10-sdk and open it (Windows 10 can open ISO files, alternatively use 7-zip). Extract these files:
Orca-x86_en-us.msi
838060235bcd28bf40ef7532c50ee032.cab
a35cd6c9233b6ba3da66eecaa9190436.cab
fe38b2fd0d440e3c6740b626f51a22fc.cab
Install orca.
Download Windows Mobile Device Center from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-device-center. I'm using 64 bit version: drvupdate-adm64.exe
Use 7zip to extract drvupdate-amd64.msi from drvupdate-adm64.exe. Read and work carefully. Do not confuse exe with msi.

Open drvupdate-amd64.msi in orca and remove CustomAction MsiProcessDrivers.

Save modified file and close ORCA.
Install modified drvupdate-amd64.msi. The process should create c:\windows\windowsmobile\drivers with 4 folders inside.
Start the original drvupdate-amd64.exe and WAIT. There is no window or any other visible activity - installer works in the background. You can observe the process in Task Manager or Sysinternals Process Explorer. Wait until:
  • CPU utilization is close to 0%
  • there is no drvupdate-amd64.exe process
  • there is only one msiexec.exe
Now c:\windows\windowsmobile should contain the complete installation.

Open PowerShell or command prompt as Administrator and run these two commands:

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RapiMgr /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WcesComm /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
Restart your computer. Remember to be patient. Once I restarted my computer to early and the installation of drvupdate-amd64.exe was interrupted.

Open Services (right click on Start, and then click on Computer Management => Services & Applications => Services) and find "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity" (WcesComm) and "Windows Mobile-based device connectivity" (RapiMgr). You should see that both are working. For both of them right click, select Properties and on Recovery tab in "Subsequent failures" select the "Restart Service". Default option is to restart service after 1 minute. I have changed it to 0. These modifications are required because both services are stopped when you disconnect your device.
Run Windows Mobile Device Center program from Start menu.
Connect your device to USB port. Expected behavior: in the bottom right screen corner you should see that your device is being configured, a few seconds later device is ready, a few seconds later you should see in WMDC that device is connected.
If you have any third party security software with firewall (I have ESET Internet Security) it is possible that your device will not connect to Windows Mobile Device Center.
In default configuration firewall blocks communication for WcesComm service running in svchost.exe. It was enough to enable for Svchost/WcesComm:
outgoing UDP, remote address 169.254.2.1, remote port 5679
incoming TCP, remote address 169.254.2.1, local port 990
To be sure that it will always work I have enabled communication for TCP and UDP in both directions for all port numbers and remote address 169.254.0.0/16 (maybe in your firewall you will need something like this 169.254.0.0/255.255.0.0 or 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255)
Searching for IP 169.254.2.1 I have found this old post (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...netfxcompact):
When you cradle your device, you should find a new IP address on the Desktop computer connected to the device, which you can obtain through the command "ipconfig":
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 9:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::8200:60ff:fe0f:e800%13
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
The device actually will obtain an IP address as well, which is usually 169.254.2.1.
Special thanks to Alexander for his invaluable tips. All this would be impossible without his help.
Andrew

More...