Thread: Big Dutch Mobile Start Page

Default Big Dutch Mobile Start Page

http://www.mobielstartpagina.nl/NEW_SITE/

and: http://i-mode.startpagina.nl/

I see only a few .Mobi's on these 2 sites though. Most of the sites have M. or Mobile, Imedia. or something else in front.
    If these site owners know how to create mobile sites but there are so few .mobi's then that shows me that .mobi must start getting the message out there otherwise just now everyone will already have a m. or imedia. or mobile. or whatever. site by the time .mobi goes public. Obviously these guys are aware of the mobile opportunity but are not aware of .MOBI and that's why they are going the whatever. way I feel .Mobi must start getting their message out there now. Who wants to be late at the party?
    Last edited by Binaryman; 06-08-2008 at 10:05 AM.

Great resonse. No-one cares I guess or thinks I am talking Cr^%^$$^p

Actually bman, for me, I avoid clicking links when on my mobile since more often than not those pages are not mobile friendly and are a pain to read on my phone.

As I mentioned to you in another thread, things may look different in your part of the world than in mine. Here, mobile web is just getting started.

I dont know how things are in your country that's true but here the iPhone is not available and wont be for quite some time. You can get hacked ones on the black market. But there are big forums already dedicated to iPhone friendly websites and discussions about how to best create mobile friendly sites but no mention is made of .mobi. Lots of talk about other forms of mobile sites such as M. and Imedia.ect. So that to me is a bad sign that needs to be addressed by some kind of marketing of .mobi to the general public. The trend here in Holland surely is in a way indicative of trends in the rest of the world or will be in the near future.
    Ps. I have been posting on those sites I mention giving excamples of .Mobi sites and links to Mtld.(for what it's worth)
    Last edited by Binaryman; 06-09-2008 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaryman View Post
    I dont know how things are in your country that's true but here the iPhone is not available and wont be for quite some time. You can get hacked ones on the black market. But there are big forums already dedicated to iPhone friendly websites and discussions about how to best create mobile friendly sites but no mention is made of .mobi. Lots of talk about other forms of mobile sites such as M. and Imedia.ect. So that to me is a bad sign that needs to be addressed by some kind of marketing of .mobi to the general public.
    It's been discussed many times before, IMO, any marketing without targeting a specific site would be pointless. Like you've pointed out, it's all about people looking for real sites with real content. Marketing .mobi solely as an extension to the general public would be as silly as marketing mdot without being about a specific site.

Where this inevitably leads is people want mTLD to do this but it is very unrealistic for mTLD to start doing ad campaigns for private sites. I can just imagine the line out mTLD's door of site owners wanting some cash for marketing THEIR site.

The trend here in Holland surely is in a way indicative of trends in the rest of the world or will be in the near future.
    Since I've never been there I'm not one to say that trends move from Holland to the US. But easily a year goes by without any mention of Holland in our news here in California. Regardless, the volume of naming conventions out there is no doubt confusing for the public, hopefully .mobi will provide the one solid option people can trust. At least for me it all comes back to the trustmark combined with useful content.

Ok but how do you explain then that there is such a lot of activity here in Holland regarding everything to do with mobile sites and especially ones that will be iPhone friendly but the development talk has no mention about .mobi sites but it does involve a lot of discussion about M. and Mobile. and even imedia and iphone. sites? These geeks are so aware of the approaching mobile market and the impact the iPhone will have on it and are so busy discussing and developing mobile friendly sites in all forms except .mobi.
    Just frustrates me a bit and I have joined up with some of the big forums here just to make a few posts about .mobi and post links to some great Dutch .mobi sites of which fortunately there are quite a number. Hope it will impact in some way.

Ok but how do you explain then that there is such a lot of activity here in Holland regarding everything to do with mobile sites and especially ones that will be iPhone friendly but the development talk has no mention about .mobi sites but it does involve a lot of discussion about M. and Mobile. and even imedia and iphone. sites? These geeks are so aware of the approaching mobile market and the impact the iPhone will have on it and are so busy discussing and developing mobile friendly sites in all forms except .mobi.
    These are developers, where discussions are about coding methodologies, not branding.

Just frustrates me a bit and I have joined up with some of the big forums here just to make a few posts about .mobi and post links to some great Dutch .mobi sites of which fortunately there are quite a number. Hope it will impact in some way.
    Pointing out active .mobi sites is one of the best things you can do. Remember also that it's a rare breed of developer who likes domainers. Most I have known loathe domainers, viewing them all as cybersquatters and pirates, stealing cyber real estate simply for profit.