Thread: Update problem

Default Update problem

Hello,
    I've attempted to update newhair.mobi with more images and internal links. None of these updates are showing up though and they don't seem to have ftp'ed in my hosting panel . I checked my settings again and they come back correct. MSG says it was published. Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    User name: newhair

Akmin Technologies

We could add a test sub page (/test_66.php) with a link in http://newhair.mobi/dandruff_59.php and publish the site successfully. You may verify the same and remove unwanted link/page. If the problem persists at your end, verify the same from a different browser, machine or network.
    Also feel free to visit http://forums.mobisitegalore.com

Quote Originally Posted by mobiSiteGalore View Post
    We could add a test sub page (/test_66.php) with a link in http://newhair.mobi/dandruff_59.php and publish the site successfully. You may verify the same and remove unwanted link/page. If the problem persists at your end, verify the same from a different browser, machine or network.
    Thank you for the response.
    I don't have a problem adding the sub pages. You can see them in my website manager (the last 4 ending in 2)

When I publish this, it says it's been published, but the site is still the old version (no updates). I can not find the new files in my hosting either. That's the problem.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Mobility Regular NewBizInDisney's Avatar

I have 1 site also with the same Issue,

Text and Images not Updating.

Akmin Technologies

Will verify the issue once again and will get back asap.

Will verify the issue once again and will get back asap.
    Any updates yet? Why is MSG ftping my files to the wrong folder?
    I would really like to update my sites asap.

Thanks

Akmin Technologies

Your current page extension is PHP and hence the pages are generated as .php pages. But in many of your pages, you have given the links to HTML sub pages instead of the PHP pages. Hence you are seeing pages which are created before the extension is changed to PHP which will not get updated anymore. You will have to update the links to refer to the corresponding PHP pages wherever needed. For example, if you have given link to /more_med_womens_wavy_2_65.html, you should change it to /more_med_womens_wavy_2_65.php.

The extension will have to be changed when you start using any of the features (like auto redirect, hit counter, payment goodies, add goodies, etc) which require server script support. And when the extension is changed, all MSG generated links will automatically be updated to the corresponding extension.

Regarding the publish folder, MSG will publish to the location as per the FTP info given by you. Hence if you think it is publishing to a wrong folder or location, please correct the FTP info you have provided so that MSG can publish it in the right directory or location.
    Last edited by mobiSiteGalore; 06-05-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Your current page extension is PHP and hence the pages are generated as .php pages. But in many of your pages, you have given the links to HTML sub pages instead of the PHP pages. Hence you are seeing pages which are created before the extension is changed to PHP which will not get updated anymore. You will have to update the links to refer to the corresponding PHP pages wherever needed. For example, if you have given link to /more_med_womens_wavy_2_65.html, you should change it to /more_med_womens_wavy_2_65.php.

The extension will have to be changed when you start using any of the features (like auto redirect, hit counter, payment goodies, add goodies, etc) which require server script support. And when the extension is changed, all MSG generated links will automatically be updated to the corresponding extension.

Regarding the publish folder, MSG will publish to the location as per the FTP info given by you. Hence if you think it is publishing to a wrong folder or location, please correct the FTP info you have provided so that MSG can publish it in the right directory or location.
    Thanks for the response.

#1, Why would this happen now? I've been updating these sites for awhile and have never had this problem before? I have not changed my ftp settings. I have supplied a screenshot showing you where the files ended up. I would have no idea of how to send them to a correct folder. I just tried again to publish the entire site and the site has not updated.
    #2, when you update with new sub-pages, doesn't site manager recognize how the site is currently set up (in my case php) and default to that?
    #3, there were "goodies" in the new pages (adsense was added to all). I even went back to try to reset the extension to php, but MSG says I have to change it to another extension as it's already in php. If the updates I'm adding are NOT in php, how do I do that?

Please advise.
    Thanks

I might have figured out a contributing factor in this. While developing this site, I made 2 different versions. One using newhairstyles.mobi and one using newhair.mobi. With help from my host support, when I was happy with the results, we copied the files of newhair to newhairstyles. Now both sites serve the same files.

I just tried to change my ftp settings to download my newhair files into newhairstyles from MSG. It won't let me saying the ftp location is wrong. I'm thinking this could be doing this as my other MSG account (hairstyles, which was the original newhairstyles.mobi) ftp is set up with public_html/newhairstyles (which is correct for site #2)

I can't find a way to delete this account, which might help me. Once this is deleted, I should be able to change my ftp settings from public_html/newhair to public_html/newhairstyles in my site manager, correct? Then, I could update all files and have a copy of the new site in both folders? Correct. If this is the case, I need to delete my site named "hairstyles". If not, what should I do?

Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Hello....is there anyone from MSG here reading this?

Posted 2 days ago and no response yet. I would really like to continue with my developments. Please delete "hairstyles" account so I can try to fix this problem.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Work In Progress View Post
    I might have figured out a contributing factor in this. While developing this site, I made 2 different versions. One using newhairstyles.mobi and one using newhair.mobi. With help from my host support, when I was happy with the results, we copied the files of newhair to newhairstyles. Now both sites serve the same files.

I just tried to change my ftp settings to download my newhair files into newhairstyles from MSG. It won't let me saying the ftp location is wrong. I'm thinking this could be doing this as my other MSG account (hairstyles, which was the original newhairstyles.mobi) ftp is set up with public_html/newhairstyles (which is correct for site #2)

I can't find a way to delete this account, which might help me. Once this is deleted, I should be able to change my ftp settings from public_html/newhair to public_html/newhairstyles in my site manager, correct? Then, I could update all files and have a copy of the new site in both folders? Correct. If this is the case, I need to delete my site named "hairstyles". If not, what should I do?

Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Akmin Technologies

mobiSiteGalore doesn't provide for deleting an user account. Hence you may leave the account, not using it. Regarding changing the publish folder, it has nothing to do with the number and location of the websites you have. The FTP info should match with the corresponding HTTP path you have given. Hence please tune the FTP and HTTP info you have provided so that MSG can publish it in the right directory or location.
    Last edited by mobiSiteGalore; 06-07-2008 at 02:24 PM.

mobiSiteGalore doesn't provide for deleting an user account. Hence you may leave the account, not using it.
    That doesn't help me at all.
    If I'm right, I'm screwed. Please tell me there's a way I can change my ftp settings and load the same site to another folder. Every time I try this, I get a notice saying "Website Address is not pointing to the FTP Location where files are being published"
    I have to assume I'm getting this because I have another account (hairstyles) that is pointing there.
    Please confirm this and let me know if it can be fixed.

Again, this is my most viewed site and it needs updated regularly. I have not been able to do this for weeks now.

WiP not sure this will be relevant but in CP there is a function to upload files without using FTP - tedious because you have to do them one by one (but you can zip them all into a folder and upload) so just go into the directory where you want your files, do file upload and there they are.

CP afaik won't let you set up a subdomain until the domain is set to the nameservers that CP expects, but you've already done that. There should be no problem creating new folders and directories afaik, if the one your name is pointing too is buggered up you could just rename it and create a new one with that name and upload or copy your content to that.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    WiP not sure this will be relevant but in CP there is a function to upload files without using FTP - tedious because you have to do them one by one (but you can zip them all into a folder and upload) so just go into the directory where you want your files, do file upload and there they are.

CP afaik won't let you set up a subdomain until the domain is set to the nameservers that CP expects, but you've already done that. There should be no problem creating new folders and directories afaik, if the one your name is pointing too is buggered up you could just rename it and create a new one with that name and upload or copy your content to that.

All the best.
    Thanks again gogo

I already did that with the help of hostgator support when we mirrored the sites. The problem is in MSG. My last update in my MSG website manager contained multiple new sub-pages, images and links. When I tried to publish, MSG tells me site was published. I have found some of the new files in my main cpanel (not in the folder they were supposed to go). My ftp details are correct and have not been changed. These same files are now in the correct folder as well. I have no idea if this matters, but all of my previous work and updates have 2 sets of files. One in html and a mirror in php. These newer ones are only in php. The html copies are not there. Again, I have no idea if this effects how the site is shown, but I find it strange.

The other issue might be somehow connected to the re-direct which was done by hostgator. I have two sub-domains. One is newhair, one is newhairstyles. They set it up so if you type either in, you'll get one site. And I'm thinking that one site might be newhairstyles (where I don't have updated files). That's why I'm trying to change my ftp settings in MSG to upload my files into newhairstyles. For some reason, it does not allow me to do this. I can't figure out why.

I'm afraid I can't help much more with this - looked just now and the site was up BUT as you click around you find some of the files you are looking at are .html, so as MSG said there are some .php pages in there that contain links to (old) .html pages...

At least this tells us the domain name is taking us to a directory that contains both .html and .php files. When you add a domain in CP it asks you what folder you want it to point to.. never tried changing that address, but I know you can move that folder around etc as said earlier, so it's back to the problem of how to get the new files in that folder.

If nec you could just edit the .html links in pages to php ones by hand (was msg meant to do that automatically - don't know - not uses that)

All the best.

PS time for a site called "tearing my hair out"... ps check the permissions on the folders.
    Last edited by gogo; 06-07-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Alrighty, I think what has to be done if you have both php and html files is that you need to update and publish both file extensions.

Meaning in MSG website manager, set the page extension to php then publish, if already set to php (updating any or new "goodies" and anything similar, new php links etc.), set back to html (updating new text and all things regular within the site) and publish, so that both (php & html) file types within the site are being updated.
    Last edited by NewBizInDisney; 06-07-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewBizInDisney View Post
    Alrighty, I think what has to be done if you have both php and html files is that you need to update and publish both file extensions.

Meaning in MSG website manager, set the page extension to php then publish, if already set to php (updating any or new "goodies" and anything similar, new php links etc.), set back to html (updating new text and all things regular within the site) and publish, so that both (php & html) file types within the site are being updated.

Brilliant!
    I now have updates. Maybe MSG can use this info in a good way for the future.

Gonna try to rep ya NewBiz

Akmin Technologies

Work in progress, as we have already mentioned, having two or more accounts is not the issue. You can publish any number of websites to a single location by setting the same FTP details to each one of them. Just that the common files will get overwritten. Similarly, a single website can be published to many locations just by changing the FTP info.

The criteria is the FTP info should match with the corresponding HTTP path you have given. You get "Website Address is not pointing to the FTP Location where files are being published" when your FTP info is pointing to one place (or folder) whereas your HTTP path is pointing to another place (or folder). Hence please tune the FTP and HTTP info you have provided so that MSG can publish it in the right directory or location.

Quote Originally Posted by Work In Progress