Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Developed .mobi sites from well-known companies.

Quote Originally Posted by youmo
    I would assume that most of these names were TM registrations during Sunrise, so if they were not found or live in earlier scans by everyone on this thread, then that suggests that these were deliberately activated after laying unused. Also, the number of live sites is a smaller subset of all the TM sunrise names. The majority of those names are still sitting unused... they are the real defensive regs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres Kello
    I've only been adding sites to my list that met one of those two criteria (stand-alone .mobi or advertised as the .mobi), so I wouldn't automatically assume those are all new, unless they all happen to fit that criteria (something that really needs to be checked).
    OK, you're really going to have to check that list because I just looked at a few that are on your list but not on mine and they not only redirect to a .com, but they don't even display a mobile site when viewed on a mobile phone. For example, have a quick look at Gucci.mobi, HolidayInn.mobi, and Nescafe.mobi.

This is exactly why we need to set the bar high. I've seen too many defensive regs that end up doing more harm than good. If the Trustmark were actually being enforced, those 3 sites I just mentioned (and many more like it) wouldn't be polluting the ecosystem.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Mobility Regular

I just checked those 3 names: Gucci.mobi, HolidayInn.mobi, and Nescafe.mobi

HolidayInn.mobi linked to a mobile site for me on an iphone. I can see why they need a .mobi, the mobile landing page URL is:
    http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/wireles...%2Freservation

For Gucci.mobi and Nescafe.mobi, it appears that they simply don't have a mobile site.

Listening to the constant drum of negativity on this forum, you would expect to see no names on the list.

Waitrose.mobi expensive food store in uk

MandS.mobi as above

MarksandSpencer.mobi as above

Quote Originally Posted by youmo View Post
    HolidayInn.mobi linked to a mobile site for me on an iphone.
    I tried it on an LG phone and it showed a full-blown site: http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/reservation

Those are the perils of device-detection, and why always showing a mobile version of your site on the .mobi (like originally intended) -- or at least erring on the side of "mobile" -- makes more sense since it is virtually impossible to detect every single mobile phone on the market.

Listening to the constant drum of negativity on this forum, you would expect to see no names on the list.
    What you call "negativity" many here will call reality. We've already been through this before.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

| Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

HolidayInn.mobi linked to a mobile site for me on an iphone.
    It works fine on my Android phone, even though it redirects to www.lchotelsgroup.com

I agree with Andres on the point of device detection being unreliable, which also means it's a better approach to have, for example, .mobi for mobile phone and .com for PC access. It's easier to remember when consumers see the advertising of this approach, IMHO.

Mobility Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Andres Kello View Post
    I tried it on an LG phone and it showed a full-blown site: http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/reservation

Those are the perils of device-detection, and why always showing a mobile version of your site on the .mobi (like originally intended) -- or at least erring on the side of "mobile" -- makes more sense since it is virtually impossible to detect every single mobile phone on the market.

What you call "negativity" many here will call reality. We've already been through this before.
    You're right we have already been down this road, and I was wrong that time.
    But there is a negative bias around here, hence you are moderating posts away on the other thread.

But there is a negative bias around here, hence you are moderating posts away on the other thread.
    That's a straw man argument because you're comparing apples to oranges. I was forced to moderate posts in the Call to Action thread because members weren't respecting my request not to discuss in that thread. I don't moderate any other thread on Mobility and this particular thread you're referring to was of possible legal consequence, so that's why I didn't want any discussions in it. In fact, I asked 4 times for there not to be discussions, and people (including yourself) were insisting on discussing. If you are upset because your post was moderated, then you shouldn't be, because your post -- like all the other moderated discussion posts from that thread -- can be found inside the Roundtable. So your opinion is not lost.

If you truly believe there is a negative bias here, have you at least considered the possibility that perhaps it is you who has a dangerously positive bias?

Default Dollar.mobi

Just came across another car rental company having their .mobi:
    Dollar.mobi

On my PC with Firefox dollar.mobi works and stays at the http://www.dollar.mobi

On my Droid dollar.mobi does not resolve without www and then goes to mobile content on mobile.dollar.com.

It's a web designer free-for-all / get it done however you know best / whatever your personal bias is / kind of world out there.

CAR RENTAL:
    Alamo.mobi
    Avis.mobi
    Budget.mobi
    Enterprise.mobi
    Europcar.mobi
    Hertz.mobi
    Nationalcar.mobi
    Sixt.mobi

Mobility Regular

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    Dollar.mobi
    Nice one
    Not sure what Andres' plans are for the newly supplied list.
    Would be great to update post #1, rather than bury the positive news.

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    Dollar.mobi

On my PC with Firefox dollar.mobi works and stays at the http://www.dollar.mobi

On my Droid dollar.mobi does not resolve without www and then goes to mobile content on mobile.dollar.com.
    Thanks acc, but they're using the .mobi to redirect mobile users to mobile.dollar.com, so it fails check #1. I understand they aren't redirecting when viewed from a PC, but that's pretty meaningless when you consider that they are showing you a full-blown site on a .mobi (not to mention that dollar.mobi doesn't even resolve, you need to include the www. in front).

All I can find for Dollar's mobile site on their .com site is this Press Release mentioning mobile.dollar.com and this Press Release mentioning Dollar.com with an auto-redirect for mobiles. There is no mention of the .mobi anywhere that I can find. Also, when I Google "dollar rental cars mobile site", all I see is the mobile.dollar.com site. So they don't seem to be advertising the .mobi at all, which means it also fails check #2.

As such, to me, this clearly looks like another defensive registration.

Not sure what Andres' plans are for the newly supplied list.
    Would be great to update post #1, rather than bury the positive news.
    If you can go through each of the ones on your list that are not on mine and confirm which ones pass either check #1 or check #2, I will gladly add them to the list. I unfortunately don't have time to do that myself at the moment.

But after keeping that list for 4 years under the same strict criteria (to maintain credibility), I'm not about to soften the criteria. Let's be honest, these aren't exactly "tough" criteria, a site just either has to have a stand-alone .mobi site as their mobile version or they have to be promoting their .mobi site in at least one place. That's what I verified for each and every .mobi currently on that list.

Remember, the purpose of that list was never to point out every single registered .mobi by any company. I specifically started it to find the well-known companies that were fully embracing .mobi, as those could then be used to indisputably establish the proper adoption of the extension by big players, without any room for "noise" or potential criticism such as "you're including obvious defensive regs to make it seem better than it is" from naysayers. This isn't something new, either, it's been there since the beginning (re-read the bottom of the OP):

Quote Originally Posted by Andres Kello
    I want to keep track of all the large, multi-national companies and brands that have launched their .mobi (if they use their .mobi to forward to another domain, then they must be advertising their .mobi site to be included), and categorize them by industry to organize it better. After all, these large companies have the power to make .mobi mainstream by simply advertising their .mobi site to their millions of customers.

I'll start the list and will edit it as it grows. Let's try to stick to very large, well-known corporations and important organizations that most people know.

How legit does TDNAM.mobi and GoDaddy.mobi appear on a mobile device?

Also, SAS? Scandanavian Airlines...don't they have mobi?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456