PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep My site up?

Rocknrollo
07-12-2011, 02:30 AM
I have a .mobi mobile website for the freedom trail in Boston. It gets some good traffic especially in the warmer months of the year, but I make no money from it and don't have the time or resources to do anything else with it.

So my question is should I pay the $90 bucks to keep it up for another year.

Check it out www.FreedomTrail.mobi (http://www.FreedomTrail.mobi)

Andres Kello
07-12-2011, 09:07 PM
I make no money from it and don't have the time or resources to do anything else with it.

So my question is should I pay the $90 bucks to keep it up for another year. No.

acc
07-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Maybe a bit longer input might help.

It is a visually nice and informative site. You've put time and effort into it. As a fellow New Englander I've watched it over the years. The new iPhone sized layout is much nicer than the old original wap layout that was relevant and needed before most devices evolved. Nice that you've kept those small wap pages as an option.

The site is up, has good content, and the hard part is done. You should keep it. Just reduce the carrying cost and add some revenue generation.

A single small website should not cost $90/year to maintain. Even if it is your only website there are hosting places that would cost only $25-$36/yr. And if you have several names and websites, hosting all under one hosting account brings the cost of each site down considerably. It is easy to move all your site's files to a new hosting account. Half hour of your time.

I see no means of revenue generation on the pages. No ads, no clickable links that could bring you revenue. If you have traffic to a site, it should be generating you something. Try adding ads to the pages and convert those summer eyeballs into some cash.

At least get a Google Adsense account and put an ad on each page.

Optionally, visit or call some local restaurants and businesses along the trail and ask them to advertise or become a site sponsor of a "site-seers made-for-mobile web site". You only need 1 or 2 to pay for the site once you drop your hosting costs.

Get free PR, submit the site to local news outlets and civic groups.

It would be a shame for you to abandon this effort. Good luck.

Tim
07-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Well, whether it's nice or not, no, is my answer. I've dropped several 'nice' sites that didn't earn despite being built out and promoted. Move on.

Scandiman
07-13-2011, 04:32 AM
If you're looking to sell the domain the site could be an added value for someone who is interested in going further with the project.

gogo
07-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Q:

So my question is should I pay the $90 bucks to keep it up for another year.

A: another question... what do you gain by keeping it alive? Chance to sell the domain, where links and traffic add value? Chance to sell the site, or sell advertising on it, for example to tour operators?

A: price: you could put it on free hosting such as 000webhost if you just want it there for possible resale.

If you don't have good reasons to keep it alive, let it go.

Rocknrollo
07-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks.. I think I will keep it up and mabey try to sell it this year.

coast
07-16-2011, 04:39 PM
I would (edit:) NOT put it up for sale on Flippa yet.

If it were my site and I really wanted to make something of it, I would put ads in the craigslist and reader of the cities that would benefit from being on the site. If you are feeling like you want to pay someone to do this marketing for you, you could offer a commission to someone to sell ads for you. This takes some guts and you have to believe what you are offering has value not just because of the work you did but because of the traffic. If you aren't getting any, and if you don't have backlinks, it's time for a press release.

I would also take out an ad on an internet marketing forum where people who are better at marketing might want to buy this asset. This is an asset - despite the fact that most people on this forum don't know how to monetize properly should not cause you to throw this in the junk heap.

I agree with Acc, why are you paying $90 a year for this site alone? Get shared hosting and put all your sites up on it. I'm not big on free hosting, there's always and ad or bad formatting that you can't get rid of on free hosting.

Scandi's right, too. Adsense pays a pittance of what it did in the old days, but it is good for research because it is basically telling you who is advertising on your site, then you can call and invited them to advertise directly. Find out what they're paying per click and either match it or charge less.

There's my two cents as a developer/marketer.

coast
07-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Your site looks really good!

There is something I am confused about - you have a link to sites. Do you mean sights? Like sightseeing? Otherwise it looks like you are linking to a bunch of external sites as in websites.

mobiddick
08-14-2011, 12:48 PM
You might as well just keep it up since you already put some work into it.
It might really be useful 4 some people.
Just sign up with one of the mobile ad networks and let them deal with the monetization.
Pretty sure you can make up for the costs easily.

coast
08-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Just sign up with one of the mobile ad networks and let them deal with the monetization.
Pretty sure you can make up for the costs easily.
Are you basing this on hard data or a guess?

stargsm
09-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Hi Guy,

I Visited your website looks is good and you need the promote the website and will be make more back links for site....