PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Godaddy parking?

ChinaMobi
01-07-2011, 10:16 AM
I just found out one of my sites is parked with Godaddy, probably without my request. (I checked all emails from Godaddy when the site was registered and nothing is mentioned of this arrangement. )

I have a Unix hosting account with Godaddy. Now, I cannot use the hosting account to add this domain and associate it with a destination.

How can I disable the parking service?

Thnaks

morse
01-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Send a support ticket to godaddy people, tell them about this situation, ask them if their database has been compromised or if any of their executive was acting rouge, that will make them resolve the issue asap. I has similar problem like yours, and it got resolved this way :)

ChinaMobi
01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
The support staff did not read my email. I said it clearly in the first line that I already have the Unix hosting plan. The reply I got from them is instruction on how to set up a hosting plan!!!

Oh well, I'll tell them again.

coast
01-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Make sure your nameservers are set for your host and not for parking. They have a toll free number that might work if you get a skype North American calling plan. If all else fails, go with another host and change your nameservers to the new host. Good luck!

ChinaMobi
01-09-2011, 03:42 AM
Nameserver is something new to me. I'm still learning.

Anyway, I looked at the Nameservers info for the problem domain. I clicked the Set Nameservers button to display a dialog box.

The "I have specific nameservers for my domains." option was selected.

I changed the option to:

"I have a hosting account with these domains." waited for a few minutes, and tried to point the domain to a folder with my html files. Still Godaddy said the domain name is used.

Funny, this is the only problem domain out of the several dozens of domains on Godaddy that I have. What I do right now is as soon as I register a new domain, I create a folder and point the domain to the folder immediately. That avoids the issue completely.

ChinaMobi
01-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Looks like Godaddy has changed its policy.

I just registered two new domains, and immediately set up folders, pointed the new domains to their corresponding folders, and then uploaded placeholder website contents.

But, when I typed the URLs, I saw only GD's parking pages!!!

I don't like this arrangement.

Scandiman
01-09-2011, 04:00 AM
A side note to this, for anything important I will not have the registrar provide hosting, it completely avoids a scenario where the domain gets ensnared in a dispute over hosting services.

ChinaMobi
01-09-2011, 04:07 AM
Hi Scandiman, I thought by doing everything in Godaddy, life will be simpler.

How much more work is it to move my domains to another company for hosting only? I'm thinking of the time in learning a new environment and cost in hosting. I also need to be able to use my existing ftp program (WinSCP) to automatically upload files.

I'm going to grow into a large portfolio of domains, so I need to weigh the cost/risks and benefits of alternatives. Your insight will be appreciated.

Scandiman
01-09-2011, 04:47 AM
Its not a big deal to split the hosting elsewhere, you can get shared hosting accounts that will support 100+ domains, hundreds of subdomains, hundreds of email addresses for $10-20/mo. All that happens different at the registrar is to change the dns as prescribed by the host. They all use ftp, if for some reason your specific client doesnt work there are many other free or low cost ftp clients to try.

ChinaMobi
01-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I just registered two new domains, and immediately set up folders, pointed the new domains to their corresponding folders, and then uploaded placeholder website contents.

But, when I typed the URLs, I saw only GD's parking pages!!!

I don't like this arrangement.Mysteriously, when I just checked, after few hours, the parking pages for these two domains are now gone and they points to the placeholder websites I uploaded.

coast
01-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Mysteriously, when I just checked, after few hours, the parking pages for these two domains are now gone and they points to the placeholder websites I uploaded.

It's not a mystery - nameservers take time to resolve. Sometimes it can take up to 48 hours. Any more than that and you need to call back because it can be a problem with the "A" record (more info to put into your brain, sorry!)

When you register your names, you should have an option to choose a nameserver at the time of purchase, but you need to know the numbers (example ns1.hostingcompany.com and ns2.hostingcompany.com). If you look under the nameserver option for each domain name in your domain name control panel, it will tell you the actual names of your hosting plan's nameservers - there need to be 2 of them, sometimes more, but not for what you're doing.

Aren't technology learning curves fun?

If you do wish to change hosts, I have a an affiliate link to a hosting company on my site, if you like I can send the link to you via p.m.

ChinaMobi
01-13-2011, 09:35 AM
My most recent experience this week with Godaddy is that even if you register a domain and then point it to a directory on Godaddy's hosting server, all within the same session, Godaddy still parks it anyway. It takes about an hour before I can finally see my own website.

ChinaMobi
01-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Yesterday's registered domain took more than 20 hours before its website can be seen. This time the GD parking page did not show up. Instead I got the "Sorry. This site is not currently available." message on the site for the 20+ hours.

ChinaMobi
01-15-2011, 03:42 AM
What is "A" record?

I notice most (if not all. Have not checked all of them) of my domains on Godaddy have the following A record: 173.201.140.128 (I guess it must be GD's hosting server)

How does it relate to nameservers?

I've found at least the following names servers are used for my domains.

NS01.DOMAINCONTROL.COM / NS02.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS03.DOMAINCONTROL.COM / NS04.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS09.DOMAINCONTROL.COM / NS10.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS21.DOMAINCONTROL.COM / NS22.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS31.DOMAINCONTROL.COM / NS32.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS47.DOMAINCONTROL.COM / NS48.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS49.DOMAINCONTROL.COM / NS50.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS53.DOMAINCONTROL.COM / NS54.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS67.DOMAINCONTROL.COM / NS68.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Why they seem to change from domain to domain? However, the recent ones seem to stick to NS67/68.