Thread: bofa.mobi revisited

Default bofa.mobi revisited

with all the financial industry consolidation that happened in recent times I've become a Bank of America customer not of my own choosing. It's pretty cool to see how much they push bofa.mobi at their customers. Not a single online banking session has gone by without a plug for mobile banking and bofa.mobi along with it. It's clear ongoing support for the .mobi extension from Bank of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    with all the financial industry consolidation that happened in recent times I've become a Bank of America customer not of my own choosing. It's pretty cool to see how much they push bofa.mobi at their customers. Not a single online banking session has gone by without a plug for mobile banking and bofa.mobi along with it. It's clear ongoing support for the .mobi extension from Bank of America.
    Agreed Paul

I have also seen ads for chase.mobi at a few branches
    I've been using it for 6 months now...(also not my choosing)
    Very convenient!

Quote Originally Posted by pcaero View Post
    Agreed Paul

Very convenient!

I'll have to go to Chase to see if they're pushing chase.mobi here as well. They're a new arrival to California with the acquisition of WaMu.

Is it just me.....sounds funny but after reading this I see ..... 2 people using 2 different banks not of their choosing and being forced to use .mobi ..... Go Mobi !!!

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by capt. ahab View Post
    Is it just me.....sounds funny but after reading this I see ..... 2 people using 2 different banks not of their choosing and being forced to use .mobi ..... Go Mobi !!!
    I really believe Mobi is way under appreciated for how many end users DO use this extension compared to any other new TLDs. No, not everyone major company is going to use it but many will.
    C.T. Kirkpatrick
    Austin Texas
    Akron.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by think View Post
    I really believe Mobi is way under appreciated for how many end users DO use this extension compared to any other new TLDs. No, not everyone major company is going to use it but many will.
    Agreed and as I continue to say on other forums...new companies will need a web address and many cannot afford .coms. We need to look beyond existing companies to future prospects!

Quote Originally Posted by think View Post
    Yes, and this Bank of America news is under appreciated in the .mobi community IMO. Consider that back in '08 Bank of America announced reaching over one million mobile banking users, with over 4 million Mobile Banking Customer Sessions Monthly

http://newsroom.bankofamerica.com/in...s=43&item=8186

And if you read in the footer of that now old release they had more than 59 million consumer and small business relationships and over 25 million active online banking users, both those numbers have grown by now without a doubt with all the industry consolidation. Imagine over 25 million online banking users being reminded repeatedly about mobile banking with bofa.mobi. Bank of America is doing some good awareness for .mobi in their own boring banker way.
    Last edited by Scandiman; 02-07-2010 at 04:00 AM.

I don't know if anyone else caught this, but B of A closed their Dallas/Fort Worth center temporarily in advance of a snowstorm. They put out a press release and it was all over our RSS Feed. Here's why:

Bank of America customers with Internet access or an Internet-enabled cell phone can monitor their accounts, pay bills, and transfer money, 24 hours a day, through Bank of America's free and secure Online Banking and Mobile Banking services. Online users can access their accounts by going to www.bankofamerica.com. To access Mobile Banking, customers simply go to the Web browser on their mobile phone and enter http://www.bofa.mobi/. Once on the site, customers enter their Online Banking ID and password to access their accounts. Customers in Texas may also call our 24-hour touch-tone customer service number at 1.800.432.1000.
    Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ban...k=MW_news_stmp

Wall Street Journal Online? Not bad. Not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    I don't know if anyone else caught this, but B of A closed their Dallas/Fort Worth center temporarily in advance of a snowstorm. They put out a press release and it was all over our RSS Feed. Here's why:

Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ban...k=MW_news_stmp

Wall Street Journal Online? Not bad. Not bad at all.
    I was wondering if anyone else would notice

Quote Originally Posted by pcaero View Post
    Agreed Paul

Very convenient!

ditto on the convenience of chase.mobi, glad I signed up.

bofa.mobi is still being advertised pretty well, it seems.

Good exposure here:

http://www.bankofamerica.com/onlineb...lash/index.cfm

I also just got this email reminding me about mobile banking:

bofa.jpg

Thought I'd update you non-BofA customers about what's going on there.

autotrader.mobi is still live & current..... the uk's biggest car sales (advertising) site by far....

Bank of America is bigger than big. So if they are promoting bofa.mobi, than .mobi will not die. This is great news Tom.

I wish our big (aussie) banks would promote dotmobi, instead they just promote their iPhone apps on their home pages!
    Thanks for the bofa updates..

Mobility Member

Quote Originally Posted by photoman View Post
    I wish our big (aussie) banks would promote dotmobi, instead they just promote their iPhone apps on their home pages!
    Thanks for the bofa updates..
    Why would they? They can promote apps and their regular address which makes a lot more sense. An odd man out (bank of america) doesn't mean others should follow.

Mobility Member

Quote Originally Posted by limomobi View Post
    Bank of America is bigger than big. So if they are promoting bofa.mobi, than .mobi will not die. This is great news Tom.
    Has no effect on the extension in my view, Bank of America is no trendsetter.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Has no effect on the extension in my view, Bank of America is no trendsetter.
    Only a mobi antagonist would argue zero effect from the usage and promotion of .mobi by a top US bank. When you demonstrate even a little objectivity then perhaps it will be worthwhile debating .mobi with you.

When a trend starts, it's almost undetectable. My gut feeling is that .mobi is slooooowly gaining traction. Excuse me, I'm a .mobi investor/developer through and through.

Mobility Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiman View Post
    Only a mobi antagonist would argue zero effect from the usage and promotion of .mobi by a top US bank. When you demonstrate even a little objectivity then perhaps it will be worthwhile debating .mobi with you.
    Why would other companies follow the Bank Of America when everyone else is doing something else? It has been years now and nobody of any size has followed suit.

Mobility Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    When a trend starts, it's almost undetectable. My gut feeling is that .mobi is slooooowly gaining traction. Excuse me, I'm a .mobi investor/developer through and through.
    Yes......so undetectable that there has been virtually no news for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    It has been years now and nobody of any size has followed suit.
    No objectivity followed by wrong information. That's been your SOP for years, at least you're consistent.

I'm not saying bofa.mobi is a game changing site, nor am I saying all banks have followed in thier steps, but solid usage and promotion like this is productive and yes, some other financial companies use their own .mobis, the cause/effect related to bofa.mobi isn't something they publicly discuss. So saying there is no effect on the .mobi ecosystem is absurd, and saying there are no other financial companies of any size using .mobi is wrong.

Barclays.mobi is a top uk bank that uses their .mobi

Stats on .mobi and other domains can be found at http://domainsindex.com

Mobility Member

Quote Originally Posted by noonoo1 View Post
    Barclays.mobi is a top uk bank that uses their .mobi
    Again though, that is years old. From 2007.

I'll say it again, there been no news for years, companies are not following BOFA. It is a bit like .info and some other alt extensions, there is a a small number of usage examples at the start (eg mta.info)...and then nothing.

We are all entitled to our own view and judgment, and subsequent direction and action.

Mobility Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMobi View Post
    We are all entitled to our own view and judgment, and subsequent direction and action.
    Of course you are, we are having a discussion here.