Thread: google.mobi - we need more from a backer!

Default google.mobi - we need more from a backer!

google.mobi used to be a good search on my blackberry browser, now goes to an all in one sales pitch or i can scroll down to get search.

i had downloaded the package before and deleted it, does anyone get a straight mobile search page *** of google.mobi anymore??

on a pc, google.mobi redirects to http://www.google.com/mobile/
    then, google's "get started now" page then states:
    Enter your mobile number and we'll send you a link.
    Or, if you feel like typing, enter mobile.google.com in your phone's web browser.
    http://www.google.com/mobile/stp-js.html

some findings with preliminary research on google.mobi

Digg - Google Gets Closer to a Mobile FutureMay 9, 2008 ... Today, Google moved to bring that future a bit closer. ... jwolcott, on 05/09/2008, -3/+2The Future is Now: http://Google.mobi ...
    digg.com/tech_news/Google_Gets_Closer_to_a_Mobile_Future - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

"The day that Google.com advertises that they are now Google.mobi is the day We will believe in .mobi."
    http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...nk&cd=19&gl=us

The mobilenet is coming... Google will follow the trend - they can't risk upsetting the applecart until they see enough traffic coming through & that is coming... month on month increase are significant.

I do hope that they will use their dotmobi though... it will be a break through.

I think the issue is more "If you are a backer and invester you should be a trendsetter not a trendfollower"

yeah. i am not questioning any company from employing a combo of m., .com/mobile and .mobi to get as much traffic as possible, but google should be giving a full .mobi experience (unless its my browser now) and some pr as well... they have the budget$

When I visit google.mobi I get:
    Google Mobile Products
    search
    search (download)
    maps
    maps (download)
    gmail
    gmail (download)
    Orkut
    YouTube
    Calendar
    Docs
    And another 1/2 dozen or so things.

Have you looked at google.com on your PC lately? so much for the old simple site.

My new slogan for Google is "The New AOL". I hated AOL and I'm not liking where Google is heading TBH.

I fully agree that Google, as a backer, should be doing a lot more for this extension.

But I'll let you guys in on some revealing information that I heard directly from a source inside Google several weeks ago: Google is transitioning between Board Members at mTLD and their original Board Member, the one still listed on the mTLD site, has apparently not been involved with mTLD in months.

I don't know what the means exactly, but it's obviusly not good and further evidence that Google isn't fully behind .mobi and I don't expect them to be in the near future.

So I wouldn't expect much from them in the near future. Thank god for Nokia.
    My .mobi's: Dating.mobi | Dubai.mobi | Adult.mobi | Banking.mobi | Student.mobi | Call.mobi | Horoscope.mobi | Messenger.mobi | Classifieds.mobi | LiveTV.mobi

Developed: Yup.mobi | Mobility
    | Why .mobi? | Banking | Vuelos | Airline Complaints | Random Site | Whois | Free Mobile Dating | Free Dictionary | Free Thesaurus | Horoscope | Astrology | Free Translation | Exchange Rates

Mobility Regular FilipinoFood.com's Avatar

Lightbulb Google.mobi

`
    Last edited by FilipinoFood.com; 11-10-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    HTML Code:
    <iframe width=100% height=300 name="webchat" src="http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=de9a2e413dbb2d2bd2dd11f47d5e3df9&server=irc.Mibbit.Net&channel=%23webmasterradio&autoConnect=true&nick=WMR%3F%3F%3F"></iframe>

Mobility Regular NewBizInDisney's Avatar

Because of dotCom and Family, Many PC based Search Engines including Google were formed.

The same will be true with dotMobi, I'm sure many Mobile based Search Engines will be formed (New Brands) therefore I'm not so worried whether or not Google chooses to play any type of role regarding dotMobi (The Undeniably Primary Mobile extension) or not.

Google certainly doesn't have any proven track record within the Mobile Arena of any type including "mobile search"

the dotMobi extension isn't going to wait around for Google on when or whether or not it wants to be a part of it.

All the major companies thus far that are using and promoting their .mobi "company" brand didn't wait for Google either.

These companies have been around much longer than the PC based Search Engine in Question here.
    Last edited by NewBizInDisney; 06-05-2008 at 08:39 PM.

would be very cool if Why.mobi could slowly turn into another mobile search engine.

Yup. They should do more. All backers should. Google does anything (presently) and ppl follow, so if they are a backer, it would be big if they could support the extension more. This thread was overdue. Can mTld get a(nother) meeting at googleplex, pretty please!??

This said, I read a good article today about tv majors not being able to overtake internet tv and predictions that the big .com's won't necessarily dominate the mobile space.

Oh, 'Thanks for nokia' yes, I'll give you an amen on that one!

Mobility Regular xXx DOMAINER xXx's Avatar

I agree, Google has to do more to help the mobile boost.. either way.. it will succeed with google or not.

got two emails today from MSN all advertisements with contests using mobile.msn.com

Mobility Regular NewBizInDisney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yelo View Post
    That Girl can Sing.

Very Nice Link, Yelo.

Google is going to forge their own way in the mobile market. Whether or not it includes .mobi will only be a byproduct. I can't see them ever furthering the business goals of .mobi over .google.

well, they have over 150 big things in development and even CEO's say they don't know exact ##.

they are willing to have employees devote 15&#37; of their work time to an approved project. Can't one of them be .mobi related..

all .mobi backers should be held to a minimal demonstration of public support/use. The backers are majors, why not use them in the pr campaign on the way mainstream.

necessary? maybe not,
    perferred inclusion? definitely!!!

Here is the way I look at it.

There are reserved names that have been auctioned. There are reserved names that haven't been auction. There are geo names that require an RFP. I would think a backer would be held to the same rules as an owner of any reserved names or RFP winners, if not held to a higher standard.

You can call me selfish or arrogant, but why should any auction winners be expected to put up a great site in 6 months when backers really haven't done anything for .mobi in 2 years. If anything some of these backers have hindered the growth of .mobi. It would almost be better if their names were taken *** all electronic and printed materials.

I'd like to know if someone going to the NYC will pose this question to Paul after the seminar. He stayed after quite a while and entertained lots of questions and gave some great feedback. I don't know if anyone at SF asked him that specifically. I think the only two folks from Mobility were vcool and me.

I am going and can make the query. Media, that was what I have been thinking too. A 'backer' that doesn't show minimal support is somewhat of a mockery imo.

Truthfully, I was annoyed that my google.mobi no longer works in my blackberry browser. Now, maybe that's because I downloaded all of the google stuff, or not. I'm admittedly no techie..

If you have some time with Paul Nerger, go for some wine and let him make the selections, I think he was a sommelier in a previous life and it carried over. Hey, if you're going to talk shop at least do it with better beverages

What does this have to do with Google? Absolutely nothing

Sounds like a plan. Funny, I believe I have. sommeilers.mobi...

Pred

Quote Originally Posted by mSpotlight.mobi View Post
    google.mobi used to be a good search on my blackberry browser, now goes to an all in one sales pitch or i can scroll down to get search.

i had downloaded the package before and deleted it, does anyone get a straight mobile search page *** of google.mobi anymore??

on a pc, google.mobi redirects to http://www.google.com/mobile/
    then, google's "get started now" page then states:
    Enter your mobile number and we'll send you a link.
    Or, if you feel like typing, enter mobile.google.com in your phone's web browser.
    http://www.google.com/mobile/stp-js.html

some findings with preliminary research on google.mobi

Digg - Google Gets Closer to a Mobile FutureMay 9, 2008 ... Today, Google moved to bring that future a bit closer. ... jwolcott, on 05/09/2008, -3/+2The Future is Now: http://Google.mobi ...
    digg.com/tech_news/Google_Gets_Closer_to_a_Mobile_Future - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

"The day that Google.com advertises that they are now Google.mobi is the day We will believe in .mobi."
    http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...nk&cd=19&gl=us

i know what google.mobi looks like from a pc
    but has it always looked like this on a mobile?

http://ready.mobi/results.jsp?uri=ht...i&locale=en_EN

very happy with that. now, if they would just index the f*cking page and promote

Quote Originally Posted by Pred View Post
    i know what google.mobi looks like from a pc
    but has it always looked like this on a mobile?

http://ready.mobi/results.jsp?uri=ht...i&locale=en_EN

very happy with that. now, if they would just index the f*cking page and promote
    Yup, that's what it looks like on my phone whenever I visit it.

(Interesting how this scores a high 4/5 but fails compliance. As much as I appreciate Ready.mobi, these scenarios reveal a particular weakness in it's approach.)

Maybe the backers have seen the writing on the wall as far as .mobi is concerned. I think all focus is going to be on the new Tld's coming into existence soon aka .Music, .Google, .Vodaphone, .Microsoft and so on.

hi evil Fred. It's been a while. Please be sure to let everyone know when the pendulum swings back the other way
    Quote Originally Posted by Binaryman View Post
    Maybe the backers have seen the writing on the wall as far as .mobi is concerned. I think all focus is going to be on the new Tld's coming into existence soon aka .Music, .Google, .Vodaphone, .Microsoft and so on.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    hi evil Fred. It's been a while. Please be sure to let everyone know when the pendulum swings back the other way
    I'd be happy too. And I'd be just as happy if I am wrong about all this. So please tell me I'm wrong.
    In the meantime read this Tim and see where I'm coming from.
    http://www.dnjournal.com/newsletters/2008/june.htm

Ps. Here is the thread that started *** my current mood.
    http://mobility.mobi/showthread.php?t=26862
    Last edited by Binaryman; 01-26-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Google is going to forge their own way in the mobile market. Whether or not it includes .mobi will only be a byproduct. I can't see them ever furthering the business goals of .mobi over .google.

yeh,right

Really appreciate this post. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it!