PDA

View Full Version : How does dotmobi enforce/audit compliance with its requirements?

statsmajor
03-11-2008, 07:34 AM
I can't imagine it's just through ready.mobi and site subscription, but I can't find any other info.

Wedge
03-11-2008, 08:13 AM
I would be interested in learning more too, good question - has it been answered elsewhere?

I notice when I register .mobi domains I have extra Terms and Conditions to agree to, which include:

acknowledges and agrees that they must comply with the requirements, standards, policies, procedures and practices set forth in the dotMobi Style Guide (www.mtld.mobi (http://www.mtld.mobi/)) and consent to the monitoring of the website as described in the dotMobi Style Guide monitoring guidelines (www.mtld.mobi (http://www.mtld.mobi/)) for compliance with the Style Guide. Furthermore, Registrant acknowledges and agrees that this Style Guide is subject to modification by the Registry with any such changes appearing at the previously designated URL, and that Registrant must promptly comply with any such changes in the time allotted.

Scandiman
03-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Code compliance is in fact being monitored currently by mTLD using the "ready" engine in an automated fashion. The data reveals where the most issues are and will guide enforcement methodologies and priorities. The Mobility MAG Chapter will be involved in a MAG Task Force specific to the topic of .mobi Compliance to provide recommendations to mTLD on all aspects.

Just for clarity though, the topic of compliance mainly deals with the coding requirements, not the recommendations. Ready.mobi lists not only the requirements but also ***er many more recommendations.

coast
03-11-2008, 03:12 PM
I've heard that mtld spiders the sites much like a search engine. Is that true?

At some point I found some sites that appeared to be parked with nocompliant pages. That is probably a sensitive topic since many of our sites are parked while awaiting development, but if it seems they are just hanging out there for clicks they should at least load on a phone imho.

By the way, these code compliance requirements are what makes .mobi a better fit for mobile than .com sites - it's this regulation that, once enforced, will build trust with the public at large.

statsmajor
03-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I think we all agree with the sentiment above that guaranteeing a minimum level of functionality on mobile phones is the key to .mobi. However, as I am trying to sell the idea to myself and others, I find it is not enough to just say that dotmobi will guarantee it, or that they require it, but to be able to explain exactly how. What if it dotmobi were only able to check a small fraction of the sites? If it is a spider, how will it work? Has it been tested? It is a great idea in theory, but not knowing how enforcement will be carried out adds an element of risk to the investment. This risk could easily be removed with a concrete explanation. I looked at the manuals in the dev.mobi but didn't find anything specific, but I'm pretty new at this so hopefully someone here can clarify and put this issue to rest.

Scandiman
03-11-2008, 10:32 PM
I think we all agree with the sentiment above that guaranteeing a minimum level of functionality on mobile phones is the key to .mobi. However, as I am trying to sell the idea to myself and others, I find it is not enough to just say that dotmobi will guarantee it, or that they require it, but to be able to explain exactly how. What if it dotmobi were only able to check a small fraction of the sites? If it is a spider, how will it work? Has it been tested? It is a great idea in theory, but not knowing how enforcement will be carried out adds an element of risk to the investment. This risk could easily be removed with a concrete explanation. I looked at the manuals in the dev.mobi but didn't find anything specific, but I'm pretty new at this so hopefully someone here can clarify and put this issue to rest.Simply put, the enforcement of the coding requirements is not yet started.

In case you missed it though, these are the only coding requirements:

-No Frames;
-both with and without the "www" will bring up the website;
-XHTML Mobile profile

Beyond these 3 you are now dealing with the recommendations which is a different thing altogether that has no impact on enforcement but will probably impact your ready.mobi score.

If it is your goal to build sites outside of these requirements then I can understand why you are wanting to know how enforcement will be carried out but I don't see what there is to worry about as long as you build within these simple guidelines.

statsmajor
03-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks Scandiman. I did see that those were the only 3 requirements and that there are many more Best Practice recomendations. I am no expert in web page design so I assume the requirements are enough to guarantee a site can be viewed on a cell phone at some minimum acceptable level. Before I get further in, I just want to make sure I understand how .mobi guarantees its sites will work on mobile phones and what is recommended but not required. So, as far as I can see:

1) Dotmobi will have some method to make sure the 3 basic requirements (No frames, no www required, XHTML) are met. The method has not been divulged yet and checking has not yet commenced. When checking does commence, if a .mobi site does not meet these 3 requirements, Dotmobi can (and hopefully once enforcement begins they will) take the site ***line after a series of warnings (can be to either the domain owner or the registrar). Also, this is separate from ready.mobi (although if a site doesn't comply with the 3 requirements presumably it will have a low ready.mobi score).

2) Dotmobi has released, in addition to the 3 requirements, a set of best practices that are recommended but not required. Ready.mobi is primarily used to check whether a .mobi site adheres to best practices. However, a low score on Ready.mobi does not necessarily mean Dotmobi can take your site ***line when enforcement begins.

If anyone sees anything that is wrong, please feel free to correct.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Hopefully, clarifying these issues is helpful to others as well.

coast
03-11-2008, 11:14 PM
You may also wish to go to dev.mobi and read to see if there is any information there, or perhaps on the dev.mobi forum. If you find anything out, please let the rest of us know. I think the developer requirements and recommendations are what will set .mobi apart from .com, especially as more people start going online with mobile phones that may not be smartphones.

Scandiman
03-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks Scandiman. I did see that those were the only 3 requirements and that there are many more Best Practice recomendations. I am no expert in web page design so I assume the requirements are enough to guarantee a site can be viewed on a cell phone at some minimum acceptable level.
In general I can agree with this but there are a lot of exceptions. A quick one I can describe is I could use the basic requirements but place a 100 MB photo on my webpage. That would make the page unusable but still technically compliant. This is where the best practice recommendations come in to play, providing additional tools to help you build more effectively for the small screen.

But let's say you want to use flash mobile which is not compliant. The way to be compliant is to ***er a valid page to phones that do not support flash that says "to view this site use a flash enabled device".

Before I get further in, I just want to make sure I understand how .mobi guarantees its sites will work on mobile phones and what is recommended but not required. So, as far as I can see:

1) Dotmobi will have some method to make sure the 3 basic requirements (No frames, no www required, XHTML) are met. The method has not been divulged yet and checking has not yet commenced. When checking does commence, if a .mobi site does not meet these 3 requirements, Dotmobi can (and hopefully once enforcement begins they will) take the site ***line after a series of warnings (can be to either the domain owner or the registrar). Also, this is separate from ready.mobi (although if a site doesn't comply with the 3 requirements presumably it will have a low ready.mobi score).Actually the checking has commenced, the enforcement has not. As mentioned earlier, mTLD is currently tracking compliance issues so that they can better assess what the main problems are and how to address them preferably via educating the appropriate people.

For example, if the no www required was a major problem, the main solution to that problem might fall on hosting providers. But the other two requirements are more of a developer issue.

2) Dotmobi has released, in addition to the 3 requirements, a set of best practices that are recommended but not required. Ready.mobi is primarily used to check whether a .mobi site adheres to best practices. However, a low score on Ready.mobi does not necessarily mean Dotmobi can take your site ***line when enforcement begins.Yes, this is my understanding of things. One thing to keep in mind is mTLD is not functioning in a vacuum regarding the best practices, most of these are derived through their ties with the W3C Mobile Web Initiative.

statsmajor
03-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks Scandiman, that was a great post. So it seems like, while there are some basic requirements, the real value of the mobi tld is that it will be built with mobile phones in mind, and therefore hopefully with dotmobi best practices, from the ground up. Or, put another way, the degree to which .mobi will ultimately have have value has much more to do with the degree to which .mobi sites are developed with best practices than with compliance with the requirements.

statsmajor
03-30-2008, 03:21 PM
For anyone interested here is the ***icial pitch for dotmobi:

http://mtld.mobi/company/why