PDA

View Full Version : If you don't understand something, ask - but read this first

coast
03-10-2008, 04:36 PM
This is for the people who are just joining us and may not have experience with development, domaining, or .mobi.

As our forum grows by leaps and bounds, and more people begin finding us from the search engines, I know that not everyone here has experience. That's ok. Many of our members are very patient and will help you.

Very important: Before you ask about "why is .mobi important" or "is .mobi necessary" read our threads about that. Many of the members here have debated this endlessly in other forums and are not always going to be friendly when answering that question (sad but true). The majority of people on this forum will be very happy to help you develop your .mobi but have already made up their minds that .mobi IS necessary and IS important. If you don't understand why it is important or successful and you still want to ask, please post those questions in the newbie section as well and you will get help.

Other than that, here are some things you will need to understand if you want to have a .mobi site. Look any of these up on your favorite search engine and you will have a better idea of what we are talking about.

- Registering a domain name
- Hosting
- XHTML (for developers - if you are hiring a developer don't worry about this)
- Ready.mobi score (again, if you are hiring a developer you don't have to know this well, just make sure your site gets a 5/5 score and ask your developer if it has one.)

If you have other questions, just ask - if you do it in the newbies section you will have greater success.

Again, welcome to mobility!

Pred
03-10-2008, 09:03 PM
repped :adore:

DomainTalker
03-11-2008, 03:39 AM
...Great advice, coast...RRRRRRepped....!!...:D

As a newbie to development etc, I can verify that what coast advises is terrific...And, also, read all the threads here at Mobility under the various headings....there's a lot of knowledge here - and great talent, too....I've learned so much since I came here...

coast
03-11-2008, 04:44 AM
Glad you enjoyed that, gentlemen. :)

Ok here are some other things that you are NOT ALLOWED to have on a .mobi site. This trips up veteran .com web designers so please pay attention:

- No frames or iframes
- No Javascript or Flash or FlashLight (unless you have a warning screen for non-enabled phones)
- No Tables
- No large graphics (8kb and higher tends to cause a site to fail at ready.mobi)
- No incorrect doctype information (use UTF-8 - your developer will be able to change that for you if you don't know how)

I'll add more as I think of them, and please feel free to add your own if I've left something out. Happy .mobi developing :)

bricio
04-25-2008, 03:19 PM
rep added :adore:

indeed a great post